Find
Notify
Tools

Sticks with a Double?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

Is there a "proper" way to use a double with shooting sticks?

Can someone explain the best technigue to me.

I have a Field Grade Searcy in .470 NE.

Thank you!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
mstarling, exactly the same way you use them for any other rifle........EXCEPTyour hand must be between the sticks and the rifle! A double rifle should never touch anything other than your hands, face, and shoulder when fired! I take a short piece of flexable synthetic rubber tubeing and slip one end over the top of each oth the two posta that stick above the apex, forming a soft saddel when you lay the back of your forehand on it, between the stick ends, and hold the fore-end as usual! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of sstokes
posted Hide Post
The best way I can think of to use sticks with a double would be to lay your wrist on top of the rest with your plam up holding the forestock.I know in africa sticks are often homemade affairs with 3 limbs and a piece of innertube lashed around them.The important thing is the the double can travel freely on recoil.Anyone else agree or is there a better way?

Posts: 14 | Location: Burundi | Registered: 11 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I had kinda figured out that nothing but the hand should actually tough the rifle. Couldn't get reasonable groups otherwise.

There are a lot of forms of sticks out there ... and one never quite knows what you'll run into in the field.

Is it best to take your own with you? That would assure the most reliable experience with the them.

Last trip I ran into two types of Stoney Points in use. The two legged kind and the three legged kind. Didn't note the model of either.

You guys have any recommendations?

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I always shoot with my hand wrist in the V but I am also pushing and pulling with arms flexed tight muscles and crushing grips on rifle
with the shot it only goes up approx. 5 inches and back on plane..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sstokes:
The best way I can think of to use sticks with a double would be to lay your wrist on top of the rest with your plam up holding the forestock.I know in africa sticks are often homemade affairs with 3 limbs and a piece of innertube lashed around them.The important thing is the the double can travel freely on recoil.Anyone else agree or is there a better way?

I'm new at big bores, bolt action only.
As they are comfortable to shoot only standing, and needing to sight mine in, I decided to make my own sticks.

I bought two lengths of dowling and when I got home they seemed maybe a bit short. (I'm 6'3") So I joined them near the top with a small bolt and for wont of something better put an old thick sock on the top for padding.
Worked out so well I haven't bothered to improve it yet.

But at full shooting height my wrist is still at an angle so the best way seems to be to lay the back of the hand on the padding. As I think of it I don't see what use it is to have parts of the rest going above the hand.

For a more steady rest for precise aiming I can use anything handy to steady my right elbow allowing the elbow to slip past under recoil.
The side window of my shootin wagon works well.

Any rampaging Elephants around my town are in big trouble. Smiler

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote