THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    O/U double barrel rifle on small frame, who makes them?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

O/U double barrel rifle on small frame, who makes them?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had seen recently Beretta O/U 9.3x74 that looks built on small frame, seems to me it’s same size as 20 gage. Looks beautiful, as a matter of fact I like its proportions more than those made on 12 gage frame. Anybody else makes O/U double up to 9.3 on a small frame? Unfortunately, VERY few doubles in my area so I have to ask members here. Thanks, Onty.

Posts: 158 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Merkel has a new o/u out that is advertised very light. The photo's I've seen make it pritty short as well. I have'nt handeled one yet and I'm afraid to. It looks like somthing I could end up saveing up for.
I have a ventage Merkel o/u 8x57 that is really nice and light. I'm sure they have only improved on them in the last 60 years.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Double rifles are quite commonly built on 20 ga actions. As a matter of fact, there's more than meets the eye as rifle actions do differ on many points. They do indeed start from a 20 ga forging but they're treated differently from then on. Rifle action are beefed up (no lightening cuts, thicker walls, heat treatment adapted to the higher pressures, hollow screws allowing gas escape in case of gas blowback, etc.).
As an example, here are 2 of my FN-Browning B25 actions :

L : 12 ga shotgun action (thinner walls and bottom hollowed out to save weight). R : 9,3x74R double rifle on 20 ga size action (thicker walls, full and thicker bottom, hollow gas screw behind each firing pin hole to divert gas out of the action).

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Beretta Silver Sable in 9,3x74R with .30-06 and 20ga barrels. IT is a very nice little rifle and quite light, however there is little difference in weight between the 9,3 and the .30-06 barrels.

I also have a Beretta .375H&H on a SO5 EEL frame with is pretty heavy but an absolute pleasure so shoot and very pretty.

A friend braught his Zoli U/O in 9,3 over to my place to work up some loads for an upcoming hunt in Burkina Faso for lion and buffalo, and I have to say that rifle is a bit of a dissappointment. Light, handles ok, but not very pretty, and fussy with ammunition. Also it's a single trigger and there seem to be some issues with it working properly. I would stay away from them.

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't consider Zoli as a quality double rifle. What low shotgun pressures can get away with becomes another matter with rifle pressures. But then, the price reflects the quality...

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've often wondered why there weren't more O-U Double rifles....

It seems to me that barrel regulation would be FAR easier
on an O-U than a SxS.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote