New
Find
Notify
Tools

.500/465 brass .470NE??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Over on the nitroexpress forums, which appear to have having technical problems at the moment, I read a post which mentioned using .470 brass to form .500/465 brass.
This sounds great, but the rim dimensions are different, with the .470 having a significantly thinner rim.
Can this be done? I wouldn’t want to jeopardize my H&H double here…

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used 470 Bell brass in my 465 for years and years. It worked just fine.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto here, used Bell 470.

If you do use 470 brass, get a file or an electronic engraver and scrub the 470 out
- and if you can, scribe a small 465 instead.

That way their will always be a question if
someone else accidently picks up your loaded
rounds.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, thanks, so can anyone tell me what the forming process is? Do I just run them through y .500/465 dies? Do they need fireforming? What loads to you use to fireform?

Cheers!

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The shoulder on the 470 case is farther forward than on the 465 case. This keeps someone from inadvertantly trying to fire a 470 cartridge in a 465 rifle. All you need to do is full length size the 470 case in a 465 die. Check the overall length and trim if necessary. Then load your regular load and your good to go. Oh, also be sure to use plenty of lube on the case when ever you full length size them or they will probably get stuck in the FL sizing die.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would reommend Imperial, now called Redding, Sizing Die Wax.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Gentlemen:

What is the rim thickness of the 500/465? I know the rim thickness of the 470 and 500 are .040. So what is the difference in thickness between the 2 and would it not create a head space problem if it was more than few thousands?

Best regards

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best.

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .500/465 rim is .063" thick, so that is a .023" difference.

The .500 NE 3" has a .060" rim, the .470NE .040".

I would have thought there be a headspace issue too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.023" is quite a bit of a difference, I am surprised that many have been getting away using the 470 without major head space problems, unless it doesn’t make a lot of a difference in low pressure cartridges.

According to the Hornady and Any Shot You Want reloading manuals, they both list the 500NE 3" as to have a .040" rim thickness.

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malek:
.023" is quite a bit of a difference, I am surprised that many have been getting away using the 470 without major head space problems, unless it doesn’t make a lot of a difference in low pressure cartridges.

According to the Hornady and Any Shot You Want reloading manuals, they both list the 500NE 3" as to have a .040" rim thickness.

Best regards

Malek

If the thicker rim was a problem then you wouldn't be able to close the action on a 465 with 470 brass. I never had any problem in that regard. I believe that head space is measured from the front of the rim not the back.

465H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
quote:
Originally posted by malek:

Best regards

Malek

If the thicker rim was a problem then you wouldn't be able to close the action on a 465 with 470 brass. I never had any problem in that regard. I believe that head space is measured from the front of the rim not the back.

465H&H

Because you have a .023 thinner rim on the 470 you will never have a problem closing the action. On the other hand you will have a space of .023 between the head of the case and the face of the receiver, which upon firing the rifle it will allow the case to travel back word in the chamber till it stops at the face of the receiver. Which normally will cause the case to stretch quite a bit, every time the rifle is fired. That is the problem I was talking about.

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bit of variation exists in guns / chambers anyway.

It is sometimes a case of working out what
brass works in your gun anyway.

The off time I've used it and likewise for the 450's, once I found brass that works, not a problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the 465 is a bottleneck case, you can headspace off the shoulder and the rim thickness wouldn't matter. At least if it is thinner, that is, because you are not headspacing off the rim.

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bottleneck on some of these cases is so slight
I am not sure you could head space off them.

465 is one of those.