New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Ghost ring sights."
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a customer wishing to use an aperture sight, in reality he requires what today we call a “Ghost ring” sight. This will be fitted to a new Merkel 500 NE DR. Whilst I personally prefer the traditional shallow V express sights I do not disagree that the ghost ring is a very viable alternative. The point here is not to start a discussion on the pros and cons of a ghost ring verse the traditional express sight but rather enquire what ghost ring sights are both available and practical. Is there anyone reading this that has a ghost ring sight fitted to any DR?

Posts: 137 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Hipwell:
I have a customer wishing to use an aperture sight, in reality he requires what today we call a “Ghost ring” sight. This will be fitted to a new Merkel 500 NE DR. Whilst I personally prefer the traditional shallow V express sights I do not disagree that the ghost ring is a very viable alternative. The point here is not to start a discussion on the pros and cons of a ghost ring verse the traditional express sight but rather enquire what ghost ring sights are both available and practical. Is there anyone reading this that has a ghost ring sight fitted to any DR?

There are several who now use Ghostring sights on double rifles. One who posts on AR is JD Do a search of his posts or PM him about the one he has on his Merkel 470NE Safari! He is fast and very accurate with that sight.

........................................................................ old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I have made several peep sights for doubles and will be glad to send you photos of them. PM me your email address. You can see a few of them in double rifle section and I will try to find which posts so you can look at them.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sam, PM sent.

Posts: 137 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recknagel peep on claw mounts, Heym 88B

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Here is mine - custom on Merkel 140:

more on the subject here: I am seeing ghosts...everywhere!

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What we have here is a discussion of ghost ring vs peep sight. As I understand it they are NOT the same. The Ghost Ring exists towards the breech and you center the front bead in it and shoot.

The peep sight on a double, however, is used to line up with the vee back sight and the bead front sight and gives aging eyes the clearest picture. It takes longer than a ghost ring or than just the back vee and the font bead, but, in my experience, with a peep sight on the top lever screw of my double 303 H&H, gives a very precise sight picture even with my aging (aged!) eyes.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim,

I don't think anyone would use a peep sight or a ghost ring along with a regular rear sight. The purpose of peeps and ghost rings is so your eye will self center and the front bead will be clear. The rear sight should be taken off the gun if using either ghost or peep sights.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there are ghost rings available it flip up models so you can use traditional v rear sight or flip the3 ghost ring up and use it. my old eye love the ghost ring .. i have a bradshaw double ordered and i'm getting ghost ring on it

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There does seem to be a problem with definition of 'ghost ring' peep sights.
First the hole should be 1/8" - 1/4" dia.
Second the tube is thin .
Third it must be close to your eye thus not usable on a handgun. The eye automatically centers the the peep .Close in the thin tube isn't noticed ,therefore the 'ghost'
They are both fast and accurate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the recknagel claw Mount adjustable? Maybe that is something for my K-Gun?...

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Recknagel sight is adjustable for both windage and elevation.

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ddrhook: You have a Bailey Bradshaw on order? Are you able to sleep nights? I'd be like Ed Grimley the night before Christmas ...
hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote