Find
Notify
Tools

Vaseline.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted
A very respected English gunmaker recommends the use of vaseline to lube the hinge etc on a DR,I was using some hi tech grease on my guns,taking the K-gun out for a shoot last weekend I did notice some of that stuff had dried up,I am thinking of trying Vaseline even if it just means more frequent applications,anybody else out there using Vaseline on their guns?

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For decades English gunsmiths have made a mixture of Vaseline and a light oil for such uses as you note. 20 years ago at the recommendation of the late English gunsmith/gunmaker Jack Rowe, I began to use his favorite mixture of just enough Three-in-One oil added to Vaseline. "Just enough" is the amount you decide upon after your experience in mixing it. An application to the hinge pin, action knuckle, contact points of cocking levers to tumblers and so other wear points is common practice for me to my double guns and double rifles.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Been on my hinge pins for 20+ years. I always thought I was too tight to buy the special stuff.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Use a good grease that is designed to provide some cushion... with a Timken OK rating of 60-80.

It's about $4/pound.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Even with a good grease, it is OK to prelube the sites with a great oil to creep. Or you can mix the oil with the Grease. Grease is the Carrier for the EP oils inside.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to step in it....
Not a whole lot of load bearing going on at a hinge pin..
Grease, Vaseline or what ever oil of the day is handy is all good stuff.. But it needs to be kept "clean" and used sparingly, the biggest cause of wear at a hinge pin is not from lack of a lubricant but dirt that attracted to too much of what ever you put on the hinge, creating a lovely rouge that will over time grind away.
What ever you use use little and clean it a lot.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
True that Zephyr. (on the grease attracts dirt and needs cleaned periodically.)

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
I'm going to step in it....
Not a whole lot of load bearing going on at a hinge pin..

Until you pull the trigger. Then action wants to go one direction and the barrels the other (back thrust of the cartridge on the standing breach.) This is where a grease will provide a microscopic layer of "cushion" between the hook and hinge pin.

I agree on change it often and keep it clean.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I disagree with those saying there is not much load bearing on the hinge pin and hook of double rifles or shotguns, the weight of the barrel set when opened is considerable when you look at the very small area of contact between the hinge pin and hook. The bearing load is also increased as the barrel set is forced fully open to operate ejectors and and/or re-cock the main hammers and ejector hammers.

I have used an expensive Lubrication Engineers grease on the hinge pin and hook and other forearm bearing surfaces on my Miroku O/U manufactured in 1984 (35 years old), a gun that I have used for a decade of competitive trap/skeet shooting and three and a half decades of gamebird shooting. This gun has fired 1000's of rounds of ammo and even when in the cocked and unfired state still needs to be aided by hand to 'open fully' rather then just flop open as the top lever is activated.

I fastidiously clean all surfaces and re-lube with a smear of the blue LE grease using a small needle-less syringe to apply sparingly.

The Miroku when new was no tighter than it is now and locks up as tight today as it did new (unlike some al cheapo guns that are very tight in the action when new and then loosen up quickly, Baikal comes to mind) so I am a firm believer in good cleaning and use of a premium EP grease to prevent wear.

You won't find too many bearings or load carrying surfaces lubricated with vaseline anywhere in the world. Respected gunmakers or not vaseline doesn't cut the mustard, it liquifies in any sort of warm temperature you would find around the world's hunting areas, Africa and top end Australia classic examples.

At the end of the day what's the cost of a small amount of premium EP grease compared with having to repair worn and loosened break-open guns of any sort.

Posts: 3879 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've seen vaseline used in the trade in Birmingham. But also I've seen A J Parker's Lubricating Oil used. That's no longer available bu I laid in a stock of a dozen tins after Edna Parker's death before the business closed.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Just a thought in passing as not many dbl. rifles are used in Arctic climates, however, bolts are. Take this for what it's worth. The singer sewing machine oil does NOT freeze. I use it along with oiling my bolt spring (that could get nasty if that froze or gummed) + as a general lubricant. Just passing along what works for me.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
...not many dbl. rifles are used in Arctic climates...

I know a few that are! LOL
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall that a British AR member who is/was a gunsmith or gun maker said he used white-lithium grease on the hook and had never had to rejoint a double where it had been used continually.

I have no idea what brand or grade he used or have even seen any in the shops, though I see the choice on the internet is bewildering.

As a preservative, IIRC, a mixture of Vaseline and wool fat used to have a following, unless that was for boots Smiler

Posts: 5012 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
Use a good grease that is designed to provide some cushion... with a Timken OK rating of 60-80.

It's about $4/pound.

Chris, another very good grease for this purpose is MILTEC-1, is a synthetic metal conditioner that was designed for use in dirty combat zones.
It stays in place, and lubricates in the severest conditions.
Excellent water wash out resistance.
Excellent shock-load protection
Reduces corrosion and galling

It comes in a small tube like tooth paste but very small 1/2 oz tube so it can not take up space in a shirt pocket.

I use this stuff in all my doubles!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought Vaseline was what one needed before writing that big check for a new double rifle!

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Yay, Vaseline. Because nothing has improved since black powder and cast bullets.

Modern lube, smokeless and jacketed bullets are but a fad that will fade given time?

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I thought Vaseline was what one needed before writing that big check for a new double rifle!
clap I think you are thinking about K-Y Jelly ! oldMac

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:
...not many dbl. rifles are used in Arctic climates...

I know a few that are! LOL
Cal

……………………………………………………………………….. jumping

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used straight Vaseline on my doubles, it worked just fine, Im sure other substances will work also..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41973 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That's true Cal. I wasn't thinking about you when I wrote that.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Good lube for many things. I keep a jar on the workbench of my shop. (Along with WD40, machine oil, etc)

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Also recommended for treating surgical wounds while healing.
Says so in the post- op instructions given to me yesterday after the surgeon removed a sun damaged spot from my right cheek. Maybe I should have worn a cap as a boy.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While visiting JJ, I asked what he used on his or customers guns. He showed me the grease he uses.

I told him I use synthetic auto bearing grease from auto parts tubes. He told me he didn't care what kind of grease it was, just so it was cleaned off OFTEN and new put on sparingly...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote