Find
Notify
Tools

500 NE on PG
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Litespeed
posted
Just retuned from Namibia after a "father, grandfather and grandchild"- hunt. The hunt was conducted with Karl Stumpfe in a hunting area close to Windhoek. This was not a hunt for big/many trophies, but a family trip to show Africa to my nephew. He has not hunted anything before, but succeded in shooting a culling Oryx! I was bringing my Krieghoff in 500NE. There was no DG on the menu, but I just wanted to use it anyway! No reason to hang it on the wall!

My load on this trip was 535 gr Woodleigh SP. Not the standard bullet for 500NE, but it was the one that regulated best at 100 meters, and on PG the shots might just be that long. My longest shot was actually 125 meters, at a warthog Big Grin

I also mounted a Aimpoint Micro on the rifle. Open sights on small game... well, I am not good enough Roll Eyes The Micro is one of the best hunting sights I have tried. Out to 150 meters the need for magnification is limited, and the bright spot just seem to align with the target real fast. The ability to have both eyes open while sighting, gives me a much better overview in the shooting situation. No traditional double S/S look, but then again the Krieghoff will never be a Classic I recon Wink

Ended up with 3 Warthogs, and one Eland with the 500. None of the walked very far after they where hit Cool

Hoping for some Elephant for 2010, but I will also defenetly bring it for PG hunting again Big Grin

Posts: 26 | Location: Norway | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Are you sure that 500 NE was enough gun for the eland? Next time you better bring a bigger rifle! Big Grin

Nice shooting.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, great piggy. Make a nice full-body mount. Might scare away your wife's friends!

Posts: 20119 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that looks like much more fun and games than a bolt rifle with a 9 or 10 power scope. Great trophies with a great caliber.
I'll be hunting elk and bear next week with my wife and daughter in Colorado with my Heym PH in 500 N.E. I use 450 grain Woodies that regulate very well, my son and I last week were impressing the bolt crowd at the range shooting and hitting targets off hand at 250 yds.
I've got some great balanced bolt rifles in 375 and 416 I can't shoot them half as well off hand as my double.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
What a great way to get in time with your big bore double rifles,I plan on doing the same with my 470 & 400 next year,thanks for the report.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Congrats from a fellow Kreighoff .500 NE shooter. I would love to see some close up shots of the Aimpoint on the rifle. How is the Aimpoint holding up? What kind of base did you use to mount the Aimpoint?

Mike

Posts: 21349 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Litespeed
posted Hide Post
So far the aimpoint is holding on very good Smiler I like this sight better each time I use it! The mount is bought at the Norwegian Krieghoff dealer. They are also the dealer for Aimpoint, so I think it might be somthing they have had someone fabricate for them. The mount is normally used for Krieghoff drillings, but work nicely with the double. It is not a quick release. but I like that you do not have to modefy the rifle. Just remove the small piece on the back of the barrelse, and attach the mount using the same two srews.

A few pic... not to good quality...

Posts: 26 | Location: Norway | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Congrats from a fellow Kreighoff .500 NE shooter. I would love to see some close up shots of the Aimpoint on the rifle. How is the Aimpoint holding up? What kind of base did you use to mount the Aimpoint?

Damn Mike that would be the nuts on your 500NE Krieghoff, but I don't see how it could make "YOU" shoot it better. That was some good shooting at the Hoot & Shoot!

That base would be an easy install in most double rifles. I think I might look into that for my doubles. All it would take is a mill to cut the slot for the base, and a tap for the screw holes! VERY NICE! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good shooting, well done.

There is NO reason not to update a double rifle with modern sights.

Krieghoff should offer that set up as a "factory" option.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I agree! Congratulations on a great family trip!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt! Congratulations!

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote