Find
Notify
Tools

HEYM Border Engraving?
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
Once upon a time (notice the square top-lever), we made a grade of double that was in between the current "PH" and "Safari."

It had a bit more finish than the "PH" and a simple border engraved pattern with matting, screws engraved, etc...

Do you think this would make the current "PH" grade action look better?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vote to leave it with a clean canvas. Allows a owner to pursue any style engraving they want down the road if they desire.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Absolutely.
This is what I have suggested ever since the PH came out. tu2
Surly it could not ad a significant amount to the cost?
You need to show this rifle to Jumbo of www.kambakosafaris.com as he is after some of these.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
I vote to leave it with a clean canvas. Allows a owner to pursue any style engraving they want down the road if they desire.

Very hard once action is hardened.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
This is what my Heym looks like,& I like it very much Big Grin

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good question; how hard is the frame? Most modern frames are chrome moly or stainless steel and are not case hardened so after market or post manufacture engraving is not a problem. (Think tough, not hard) Evcn most current "color case hardening" is mostly color and little case.

Posts: 17284 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Absolutely.
This is what I have suggested ever since the PH came out. tu2
Surly it could not ad a significant amount to the cost?

I completely agree, very tasteful and adds a more finished look to the rifle.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Good question; how hard is the frame? Most modern frames are chrome moly or stainless steel and are not case hardened so after market or post manufacture engraving is not a problem. (Think tough, not hard) Evcn most current "color case hardening" is mostly color and little case.

All makers engrave before hardening! Case coloring only hardens the surface of the steel, but the steel is tempered by oven heat and quenching to a rockwell hardness number whether case colored of not!

If engraving after the hardening process is done the surface must be annealed sometimes cause warping!

Personally even if the steel is extensively engraved I prefer case coloring to coin or stainless steel’s bright finish!
............................................................................ coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am completely familiar with the heat treatment of steel alloys. Just because the steel has been heat treated does not mean it is too hard to engrave; I have had many guns engraved after heat treatment; to wit; Ruger #1s, several Pedersoli and Uberti guns with color case hardening, parts case hardened by Turnbull, Baikal
shotguns, Winchester 95s; the list goes on. I agree, at the factory they engrave before heat treatment but it can and is easily done on most modern guns afterwards as the steel is not that hard. You are thinking of the old method of case hardening wrought iron or mild steel wherein the surface is brought to a RC of 50, 60, or higher. Or guns like an M1 rifle, although made of CM steel, still is almost glass hard. Most modern rifle receivers are relatively soft and can be engraved. Having said and done all that, I do not know the hardness of a Heym frame.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris, please so nice and post some (new) photos of the engraving of the Heym Safari.
So we can see the difference.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Yes, I am completely familiar with the heat treatment of steel alloys. Just because the steel has been heat treated does not mean it is too hard to engrave; I have had many guns engraved after heat treatment; to wit; Ruger #1s, several Pedersoli and Uberti guns with color case hardening, parts case hardened by Turnbull, Baikal
shotguns, Winchester 95s; the list goes on. I agree, at the factory they engrave before heat treatment but it can and is easily done on most modern guns afterwards as the steel is not that hard. You are thinking of the old method of case hardening wrought iron or mild steel wherein the surface is brought to a RC of 50, 60, or higher. Or guns like an M1 rifle, although made of CM steel, still is almost glass hard. Most modern rifle receivers are relatively soft and can be engraved. Having said and done all that, I do not know the hardness of a Heym frame.

You learn something new every day, I suppose!

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a look at this kind of engraving at the factory today on a 500 and in real life it looked fantastic. Frankly, even the PH is such a wonderful rifle with wood and craftsmanship beyond the concept, I think the little engraving underpins the rifle's quality.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, at least make it a resonably priced option. Really looks nice and I am not one that usually likes any engraving.

Posts: 528 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could you do colour-case with or without the engraving? That would be extremely attractive in my opinion.

Posts: 10368 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Case coloring on a Krieg is a $4295 option; wonder what H guns are?

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Could you do colour-case with or without the engraving? That would be extremely attractive in my opinion.

Yes, you can have case colors. They are $1,500 extra.

We've had Schilling do them.

And now Max Ern does them. His colors look more like St Ledger's to me.

Should we be charging 3,000 more???

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I hate to bring this up again since we beat this topic of cost / options to death awhile back, but on my VC 500 that is being built, I originally specified a coin finish. Later decided to go with Color Case Hardening. That option cost a grand total of: $350 extra

$4,295 on a K-Gun for CCH?

Chris, on your two options, I prefer the Max Ern look. A bit more brown and less blue.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
This:

The fun thing about CCH is no two are alike, but I do prefer lots of the blue hues..

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It lokks great this is no question.

If you want it "mutch" more brwon, I think Heym can make the CCH in Birmingham/England, then is ist 101%. I think it is then a little bit more as 1.500 US Dollar, bur then in the english style.

The problem with al kind of CCH is:
How long does it looks good in "the field"?

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Later decided to go with Color Case Hardening. That option cost a grand total of: $350 extra

I would suspect $350 Case Colors to be cyanide colors, but maybe not.

Post a photo, and we can distinguish them at a glance.

The disadvantage of having them done by best in the trade, i.e.: Schilling, Ern or St. Ledger is that they seem out of proportion on a less expensive gun.

However, when you put the same $1,500 case colors on a $200,000 Hartmann & Weiss or H&H etc... the cost is not so extreme.

To the guy doing the colors, it's the same steel, same polish and same prep work. Max Ern charges us the same as H&W, and St. Ledger would charge us the same as he charges H&H, etc...

As with most things we buy, cost is just one variable. The quality of work you're getting for your money is of importance too.

Having said that... $4,500 seems a bit extreme to me.

These are cyanide colors in the photo below.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The second set of photos also looks like the colors that Doug Turnbull produces. More blue. I think CCH parts look good on any level of gun, low or high, engraved or plain.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Chris, I haven't taken delivery yet so I'll have to wait until then to post pics of my rifle for comparrison. Some of the other VC owners with CCH may step up however until then.

You may be correct on the different method used but the pic you posted, which I believe is a VC as well, is one of the much less expensive production guns. The custom VC guns are of a different quality. I did try to steer my comment more toward the Kreighoff's stated price which seems out of line to me. I would be hard pressed to justify $4,500 or so for CCH.

Cheers.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I got the $4295 CCH price from a 2012 Krieghoff retail price list. They also want $2000 for scope mounts.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Back to the original question. Yes, it looks much better. tu2

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
]

We've had Schilling do them.

I'll be the odd ball, but I like the heavy blue and minimal brown.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Guys: My VC's CCH is Cyanide process:

Has anybody considered Doug Turnbull? I believe his is a true CCH process. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Guys: My VC's CCH is Cyanide process:

Has anybody considered Doug Turnbull? I believe his is a true CCH process. jorge

Jorge, that is a beautiful rifle! tu2

I love well done case coloring! I have several rifles with case coloring, one is my 140E merkel double 9.3X74R.

....................................................................... old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have had several pieces color cased by Doug Turnbull; his is the best in the country IMO. And I have used others too. If you do the polishing yourself it is not that expensive. ( $250 or so) And you don't have to get the metal that polished; in fact, more than about 400 grit is too shiny. And he does any type of steel from wrought iron to plain 1020 to chrome moly; he has the technique down pat. I have never had any warpage or problems with re-assembly. (I am not associated with his company).

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mac and as you know she shoots very well too! Saving up my monies for another VC in 375Fl! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Good man jorge! tu2

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Does it need a HEYM banner in the middle too?

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I'd pass on the Heym Banner NG, unless you can make it smaller.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks, Mac and as you know she shoots very well too! Saving up my monies for another VC in 375Fl! Smiler

The 375 FL is one that I want badly! I have three bolt rifloe chambered for 375 H&H and I sho0ot them more than any other bolt rifle I own. I had an old Armey & Navy 375FL years ago when brass was very hard to come by, so traded it in on a 450NE double and have always regreted it! You will absolutely love a 375FL double and the VCs are top drawer, as you know!
........................................................................ tu2 old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saving up my monies for another VC in 375Fl! Smiler

Getting a round body or one like mine?

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Like yours.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
NICE!

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Neither the minimalist engraving nor the gaudy colour case hardening without engraving does much for me, Chris, I'm glad to say (if you brought out a better engraving on the base model, those of us with the plain ones might find our investments devalued).

A heads-up on whether the present PH can be engraved without heat treatment would be appreciated, though.

Posts: 5110 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Nice looking weapon. Mine will be very similar but I do have the gold inlay name banner and "Safe" being done. I like the more subtle colors.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Actually Todd, that is one thing I wish I would have thought of with my first VC and also the caliber designation on the rig inlaid in gold. Those are nice, classy touches as well. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
Once upon a time (notice the square top-lever), we made a grade of double that was in between the current "PH" and "Safari."

It had a bit more finish than the "PH" and a simple border engraved pattern with matting, screws engraved, etc...

Yes. I prefer this over the current look.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote