THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Talley mounts and peep sight pics
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talley mounts and peep sight pics
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am thinking about having JJ install scope mounts on my VC 450-400 as my eyes just aren't as good with open sights as they used to be. Can someone post pics of a double with Talley bases installed? Anyone have any experience with Talley based combined with the Talley peep sight? A pic with the Talley peep sight installed would be very helpful. Is there a peep sight available that will work with the Rechnagel pivot mount?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion here H47one, my aging eyes needed a peep sight and JJ put one on my .303 double. He did it by making a new screw for the top lever and fixing the peep to that.

Object is to get the peep as close to the eye as possible so you limit the light rays you have to focus to those coming through the peep to the maximum extent. Those central rays focus better in the old eye lens.

Let me add here that in Africa, light from about 0830 to 1700 is plenty for me to use the standing vee and it's faster to do so.

I've also got a .375 H&H bolt gun with EAW pivot mounts (not sure if they are Recknagel),and a peep that fits in the back base. Does not work as well as the top lever mounted peep. Don't get quite the sharpness in the sight picture.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Hey Heym470ne...

I had my local smith install talley's on my Merkel 9.3x74r - I had him machine them to fit the rib - He did a great job. Actually, it turned out very well - Much cleaner than the traditional type claw mounts and didn't hurt regulation. If you send me your email address, I'll take some pics and email them to you...

Cheers...

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I suggest having claw mounts installed instead of Talleys on such a nice rifle.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JDA-CO: I will PM you. Thanks for offering to send some pics.

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
All PM's replied to and pics sent - I'd post them, but i'm not smart enough for such things...

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:

I've also got a .375 double bolt gun with EAW pivot mounts (not sure if they are Recknagel),and a peep that fits in the back base.

Regards, Tim

Can we see photos of the above rifle? I have only seen a couple of Fuchs in the past. They are certainly unique rifles.

Mac

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Apologies McKay, just plain made a mistake Frowner using the word "double" when I meant H&H. That rifle is actually a Dakota 76 bolt gun.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim Brockman makes a set of talley bases with an integral adjustable ghost ring in the rear base. It is spring loaded and pops up when you take off your scope. For Win 70s and clones, however I had him make me a bunch for Comml Mausers.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote