Find
Notify
Tools

Shot & Ball...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted
I put this in the DR forum because it is how I use mine... So I got one of Russ Gould's imported Shot & Ball doubles a couple years ago and have been using it steadily for the last two years. Mine is the 20ga version with flip up sights and regulated perfectly for slugs (brenneke). It shoots slugs accurately out to 120-150yds (and beyond for someone whose a better shot than me) Fit and finish on the gun are almost perfect to my eyes and weight and balance are what you would expect from a light 20ga. My only complaints about the gun are that the barrels have turned a kind of deep maroon color (it's actually kind of growing on me) and it has a plastic grip cap (which i'm going to have replaced with a proper metal type at some point).

Over the last two years I've used it for Dove, Pheasant, Turkey, varmints, Elk and Boar hunting. I would have no issue using the Brenneke's for any game on earth with the exception of the big five DG.

With shot of various sizes I can hunt all upland game including Turkey's. I've not used it for anything requiring steel shot. With slugs I've killed 5 Hogs, an Elk, and a coyote. I also carried it in Iowa for their shotgun season, but didn't see a good deer. I also did a varmint hunt in TX and got Bobcat (using BB's).

This is the first time I ever used slugs on anything. These 1oz Brenneke's do an unbelievable amount of damage. I shot the Elk on the point of the shoulder and it left a ragged hole on the off side and destroyed everything in between. Same effect on hogs...

I guess the reason why I'm posting is that I can't believe these are not more popular? I have to say it is probably the most useful firearm I own.

What gives guy's??? Why don't I see you guy's talking about these?

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
JDA:
I have had the same question for years as to the lack of popularity of these fine and ingenious weapons. I sold mien a few years ago to a gent in TN and have regretted it since. It was a Lyon and Lyon smooth bore, oval bore, likely made by Lancaster. It printed slugs side by side, an inch apart, to the sights at any practical distance. I recall the barrels were choked IM and IC. And, being a smooth bore it was legal in the commie eastern states where smooth bore only is (or was) required.
How about a picture?
Good shooting.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Hey Cal - Do you ever ask yourself why we get rid of guns we love? This one is staying in my safe forever! I'm on the road, but will email you pics when I get home.

I was going to take this shot & Ball gun to Argentina last year, but hadn't used it enough to trust using slugs on larger game. After having shot some tough critters with it, I am now sold. I'm slated for an Australia hunt in 2014. I'll be hunting Buff, boar and some birds: This is the only gun I will take.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a JP Sauer drilling that I have set up for 12 gauge Brennekke slugs over the 8x57JR. I hunt with it all the time, and those slugs do a world of hurt on deer and black bear. I don't shoot the slugs out past 50 yards, but it 50 it patterns fine for close range shooting.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
JDA:
I have had the same question for years as to the lack of popularity of these fine and ingenious weapons. I sold mien a few years ago to a gent in TN and have regretted it since. It was a Lyon and Lyon smooth bore, oval bore, likely made by Lancaster. It printed slugs side by side, an inch apart, to the sights at any practical distance. I recall the barrels were choked IM and IC. And, being a smooth bore it was legal in the commie eastern states where smooth bore only is (or was) required.
How about a picture?
Good shooting.
Cal

Cal - I just emailed you pics of my Shot & Ball (I'm not smart enough to post here, but would like to!). Sorry it took me a while. It's not one of your beautiful rifles, but I'm not afraid to hunt the shit out it!!!

To all of you who PM'd me, I sent you pics as well. I should just figure out how to post them here... Baby steps!

Cheers!

Jim