New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Trigger First
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm kind of curious how many shoot the rear trigger on their gun first? I was told this was a better way to avoid inadvertantly firing the second trigger during recoil from the first. I have a Beretta shotgun with double triggers that I use to get accustomed to two triggers and it only took about three rounds of skeet to retrain myself. I guess old dogs can learn new tricks! Go Steelers!!!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always used the front trigger first and so far no problems. I'll switch to rear first if it ever becomes one.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
front one 1st

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Front first, and I'm a lefty, which means my trigger finger is across the rear trigger when it is on the front trigger. No doubles, no issues.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On heavy recoiling doubles, the rear trigger first. If the front trigger is pulled first there is a very real chance of doubling. But it's up to everyone if your willing to chance twice the recoil. It becomes much more possible in hot weather when your hunting and sweating a lot. I figure if I always go rear first I won't forget when the chips are down.

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell what would I know.
For a double rifle soft one side solid other, well whatever trigger you happen to need.

Same with shotguns, only decide what choke you need.
Yanks tend to go front trigger first cause they don't know any better.
sofa

I THINK the poms fired the rear trigger first on shotguns because the upper crust "Guns" shot game driven towards them and shot the tighter choke first and left barrel as the birds got closer, ie between the line of shooters. Smiler

And probably rear first on rifles re doubleing and any slippage on recoil means the front trigger is then closer. Heck, whatever you want works.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
they are usually regulated with the right barrel shooting first ( front trigger on right handed rifle)

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have a problem doubling my 470 if I don't shoot back trigger first. It's just habit now.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So how much of a problem is this regulation when fireing the left first. (inches or feet)??

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the gun. Sometimes very little, sometimes a lot. The correct order is R-L. I've always done it that way and have never had a double discharge.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
Several time it has been posted that the front trigger, right barrel should be fired first due to the right barrel being regulated first.

If the gun is regulated to the same point of aim, why does the firing of right or left trigger make a difference?

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In theory, when the rifle is regulated, the right barrel is fired when both barrels are "cold" the left is fired when it is "cold" but the right has been fired and thus heated up and expanded. To reverse the order would change the expansion of the right barrel for which provision has been made in the regulation.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got into a habit of firing the rear first for two reasons, I shoot a lot of large stuff .450s to .500s and found out how easy it is to fan the trigger under recoil ending up with a double discharge. Second, most of the doubles I use are vintage English guns that have a bit more Cordite erosion in the right barrel, so I fine tune sight the gun for the left barrel and use the right as the backup. I’ve never noticed much difference in regulation when shooting the left or right first, but there may be something to that in some fussy guns.

Cheers,

Rich

one of us
Picture of KINO
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response. I was told by Searcy's Machinist that given I had little experience with double triggers I should shoot the rear trigger first to avoid a double.
The largest I have shot has been the 416 Rigby. how does it compare to the 470NE?

Posts: 470 | Location: SYRACUSE, UT, USA | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KINO:
Thanks for the response. I was told by Searcy's Machinist that given I had little experience with double triggers I should shoot the rear trigger first to avoid a double.
The largest I have shot has been the 416 Rigby. how does it compare to the 470NE?

The 470 is the next level up or maybe a bit more. I would recommend shooting one before buying. If your looking to Searcy he'll let you fire one, no problem. You'll have to get to his place though Big Grin

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have always naturally shot the rear trigger first as that is the one which has had an ideal lenght of pull [by chance] on the old guns I have shot.
also they have all had hinged front triggers and as I have thin fingers I have never had a finger bruising problem.
The final logical reason is that the recoil naturally brings the front trigger into play rather than the reverse being true of using the front first.
But then you yanks all drive on the opposite side of the road so expect maybe you just want to be different!!!???
APB

Posts: 223 | Location: Qld, Australia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A recent experience with a long stalk on a very hot and humid day after buff in the Northern Territory of Australia-sweaty gun++,500 Nitro double-I would now strongly recommend the rear trigger first.

Australia
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

Posts: 302 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me guess, you got one Buf., one aircraft, and one sore sholder. thumb

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 28 January 2006 01:06
Several time it has been posted that the front trigger, right barrel should be fired first due to the right barrel being regulated first.

If the gun is regulated to the same point of aim, why does the firing of right or left trigger make a difference?

quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
In theory, when the rifle is regulated, the right barrel is fired when both barrels are "cold" the left is fired when it is "cold" but the right has been fired and thus heated up and expanded. To reverse the order would change the expansion of the right barrel for which provision has been made in the regulation.

JPK

JPK's answer is correct, and as 400 Nitro Express says, in some rifles it makes little difference, but in others it makes a lot of difference. and JPK tells you why that is true!

The thing you need do is, shoot your rifle that way on paper with very carefull shooting, and see if it makes any difference on your rifle, over the proper sequince. If it doesn't hurt your composite groups when shooting the back trigger first, then shoot it that way if you want, but you need to know if it works before you get in a fight with a lion! Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
On hammer guns I shoot the back trigger first as I cock both barrels at the same time. A double with a light 450 NE #2 will teach you to do that. With hammerless I pull the front trigger first to stick with the r/l firing sequence. With the 4 doubles I have owned I could never tell any diffence in regulation regardless of the firing order.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are new to big bore double rifles, I suggest that you start out with one barrel loaded with a live round and the other with a snap cap or fired round. Then see if the other barrel has been tripped. If after 20 or 30 shots you see that the opposite barrel has not fired you are good to go with using the front trigger first. I have never had that problem with any of my doubles.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Double discharges are due to poor trigger control, pure and simple. If you don't learn how to keep your finger on the front trigger through the initial recoil impulse of the right barrel, you'll eventually strum the rear trigger hard enough to get double tapped. That's just part of learning how to use a double trigger gun properly, and some people have more trouble learning it than others.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
400 Nitro is correct.
What causes a double discharge is the collaspe of your shoulder, which caused you hand to travel backwards causing your trigger finger to slap the rear trigger.
To prevent this you must maintain a firm shoulder, a firm grip on the pistol grip and use a fair amount of trigger finger, say to the first joint on the front trigger.
You should hold a double rifle [ actually any big bore rifle] very firm and aggressively.
It ain't a target rifle. You are a manly man, or a womanly woman, in "combat" with dangerous game, [or when shooting pigs etc,you are still using a Dangerous Game Rifle.] It "ain't" a wimp gun, do not handle it like a "Wimp".

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
Atta boy Tony, Your'e getting fiesty in your new retirement role.

CFA

*If you are not hunting in Africa you are planning to hunt in Africa*

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it possible that those that experience a double discharge are trying to get there finger to the back trigger too soon rather then following through on the first shot? Dun know, just wondering.

465H&H

one of us
posted Hide Post
You wouldn't put it past some blighters to have a finger on each trigger at the same time.