THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    "Moon Clips" for Rimless Doubles???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Moon Clips" for Rimless Doubles???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Many of you will be familar with the original half mood clips [held 3 rounds] used in the Colt and S&W revolvers so they could shoot the rimless 45 ACP rounds and have extraction.

Later on full moon clips [hold 6 rounds] and 1/3 mood clips [hold 2 rounds] were invented.

Why not make a "clip" that snaps into the extractor groove of the case, enalbing a large surface for extraction.

The clips would be attached to the cases before leaving on your trip of course, and the doubles made to use the "clip" for extraction.
No matter how the round was placed in the chamber the extractor would still contact enough of the "clip" to ensure extraction/ejection.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No2,

What are you trying to do? Kill the market for vintage Brit doubles?!?!

I like the concept, but what happens when someone forgets to put on the clips and loads a cartridge?

After we get DR builders to give us 7.5-8lbs 375 Flanged and 9 lbs 450/400's then we can consider your idea. Razzer

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AzGuy
There are some things you just cannot forget. Big Grin

It would just be nice to be able to walk into a gun store and by reasonable priced ammo for your double.

Hornady 450/400 3" and their 9,3x74R is a step in the right direction.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Ok now you got me thinking.

What if you had half moon clips that connected the two cases together. if you cut a recess along the top of your barrels to fit the clip you could still have the normal extracters on the bottom side. Just bring the clips around till they hit on the outside edge of the extractors and recess that part of the extractos to fit the clips.

That way you could load them in twos quickly or individuly. Your choise

I know guy's it's a bad idea but we're just playing around with ideas here. I can already see all kinds of probems with this plan but it's the best one I could come up with in 5 minits

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ak
I thought about that, but I think it would be better just to keep each cartridge with its own clip. There are many times with my doubles that I have shot one, reloaded one.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Been done.

There was a Spaniard that hunted a bunch of eles with Ivan Carter.

He had a clip that sort of resembled a pair of brass knuckles that fit over two of his fingers and had 2 NE rounds in a clip on top, facing backward.

It was used for quick reloading. A good idea. He was pretty good at it. I should have taken a pic.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Ya I thought of that too. That is only one of the problems with my plan but like I say it's a bad idea anyway.
Some of the other problems that come to mind right off is you couldn't have ejectors because you would be throwing both rounds out at the same time. Also you could'nt have a dolls head or Greener top latch with this idea and a whole list of other problems I still havent thought of.
Like I said I struggled over this for all of five minits. The thought would have probably never crossed my mind had you not mentioned it.

Anyway good ideas sometimes come from bad ones it dosn't hurt to keep thinking

When are you going up to the cabin?

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Will

That's a good point. Maybe clips are or arn't a good idea for a double rifle but speed loaders might be a great one.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

one of us
posted Hide Post
For my DG hunting ammo, I drop the loaded round in the chamber, if it slides in no problem I rotate 90* and repeat... I also check for extraction with DG hunting rounds.

I have rejected rounds because they won't drop right into the chamber and instead require pushing so the "clip" slides over the belt. (about 25% rejection rate on unfired brass with the front 90* angle of the belt rounded a bit, higher rejection rate on unmodified brass - all rejections probably due to too imperfect brass) I have never had to reject a round because of an extraction issue.

I don't think moon clips are required. At least for my rifle.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NE 450,

Have you been in the Evidence locker again!!SmilerSmilerSmiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote