Find
Notify
Tools

Where can I shoot a double?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted
I want a double, or so I think. I've never shot a side by side anything and while I've shot plenty of big game, I've never shot an animal with iron sights.

Before I take the plunge, I know that I need to shoot a rifle or two. I need to make sure my right eye is up to the task as well.

So, who has a double rifle close to Northeast Alabama that I can shoot? My initial thoughts about caliber are 500NE or 470NE, but I'd be glad to shoot any true big bore double that's close to me.

Of course, I'll pay for the ammo. I'll also buy dinner and drinks for the rifle's owner following the range time.

Takers?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Good plan Will. I'd be glad to get you started if you flew up and you sure as hell wouldn't have to pay for ammo. That said I understand it's more than a quick trip down the road. As a recent first time buyer I'd recomend just what you're suggesting. Shoot as many doubles as you can get your hands on. American, European, English, old, new. I'd also recomend shooting a variety of calibres. 9.3, .375, 450/400, 450-476, 500, 577, 600. Handle guns with different features. Auto safe and manual. Ejector and extractor. Splinter fore end and beavertail fore end. Look at diffent types of engraving.....if that's important. Different fore arm latching systems and how they affect the feel of the fore end....if at all. Different types of sights. Cheek piece or not. Some of these are huge factors and others are just the little personal quirks that don't matter to some, but to others really make the gun special to them. Just a thought.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To second what Brett said, come on up!

While the TX branch of the DRSS is obviously much closer and by every account extremely hospitalble, us AK guys also love any excuse to get out and share info and range time with fellow enthusiasts. I've probably shot 25-30 different DRs in the past year, from 30-06 to 4-bore and just about every caliber in between.

Spring/summer is better as far as weather and fishing goes, but if you can find an excuse to come up for a few days and post advance notice I'm sure you'll have the chance to try numerous calibers and configurations and see what you like best. If you buy one first, bring it on up next summer anyway and join in the fun Smiler

Bob
DRSS

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will,

I'm in Chattanooga, and I own several double rifles that you are welcome to join me in shooting and I'll even let you hunt with one. PM me if you are serious. I hunt almost exclusively with double rifles and drillings, and I am a dealer in double rifles as well. Look forward to hearing from you. Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can hold out until Reno, I will bring the Searcy 470 along and you can shoot all you want.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MS has got oodles of the damn things and he lives close by to you.
He's got some mighty fine ones too..

Just beware of the AR wrath should you decide to share your outing with MS with all on here.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If you get near Houston, Texas, we can find a double or two for you to shoot!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Come to Dallas, our women are prettier, our doubles shoot straighter and NE450no2 and I will put on a great show Smiler

Posts: 1309 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your traveling in the Western Colorado area I have a Heym in 500N.E. you can shoot although it's left hand configuration.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come on down to new orleans, or find something for me to hunt in alabama (quail, deer or ducks).
I got two 470's a, a 9.3x74 sxs and a OU 9.3.74 The merkel will be going up for sale soon!

PM me if interested

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I'm overwhelmed by the generous offers and will send some PMs today. Thank you all. I'm tempted to come to Alaska, but Chattanooga (45 minutes away) will likely be my first stop.

Rich, just bring the Searcy and some ammo to the Giraffe Bar in January. SCI won't mind if we fire a few shots on the convention floor.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470Evans:
Come to Dallas, our women are prettier, our doubles shoot straighter and NE450no2 and I will put on a great show Smiler

That is a rash statement! Evereyone knows that 470Evans prefers the beautiful Southeast Texas Women! Big Grin

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Once you go cajun ,you can't go back ( there is a lot more to those gals than just a cute accent)!!! Ya'll do good bbq, but when it comes to good food it would not be a fair contest. Since Katrina we even have some good tex/mex avaible.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I don't know where you are in AL but the Merkel importer is in Trussville I'm sure you could go by there and at least to handle a few and get some ideas.
If you do make it to AK you can shoot both of mine.

BTW -if your anywhere near B'ham I'm sure we have frinds in common I think I know at least 30 lawyers there.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
quote:

That is a rash statement! Evereyone knows that 470Evans prefers the beautiful Southeast Texas Women! Big Grin

Hmmmm ...

I guess I'll just have to sample them across the state ...

sofa "uhhh ... No dear, I was talking about the whitetail deer in Texas - lots of different sizes ..."

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
I want a double, or so I think. I've never shot a side by side anything and while I've shot plenty of big game, I've never shot an animal with iron sights.

Before I take the plunge, I know that I need to shoot a rifle or two. I need to make sure my right eye is up to the task as well.

So, who has a double rifle close to Northeast Alabama that I can shoot? My initial thoughts about caliber are 500NE or 470NE, but I'd be glad to shoot any true big bore double that's close to me.

Of course, I'll pay for the ammo. I'll also buy dinner and drinks for the rifle's owner following the range time.

Takers?

Heaven forbid you find yourself in the evil state of New Jersey, you are welcome to try any double I have. Dinner (and ammo) will be on me. You can buy the beer or wine and help me reload whatever calibers we shoot.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Double owners should come with warning lables attached. Like crack you'll be hooked on the first hit.

HBH

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You can buy the beer or wine

Good Gravy! Let the man keep a little money in his pocket. dancing
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote