Notify
Tools

500 NE Reloading Questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
505G....

Hell if I Know the original reason for fillers! I never used any in my life until Sam and I started messing with them.

All I can think of is the size of the Nitro cases causes all these issues, but I have a hard time with that.

I have shot many sorts of very very reduced loads in a lot of different cases, even recently doing low velocity shear points with many of the #13 NonCons. Never experienced any issues at all with 1/2 capacity loads, no fillers, no nothing.

OK thats all well and good, but get this, I have experimented with many different powders with sub sonic loads in cases like 223, 308 and such, using as little as 3 grs of Unique in a 223 case, no fillers, no nothing, perfect results, even consistent results... 8-9 grs of Unique in 308 cases, again, excellent results....... In percentages, this is way the hell more percentage of space than most reduced loads in the NE cases......

To answer your question truthfully........ I don't Know?

bewildered

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael, sounds like some more reduced NE testing is in store for you Wink
All kidding aside, I did think of some more questions. While working up these practice loads, how many rounds should I test of each loading? And, should I work them up 1 grn at a time, or some other amount?

- Ryan

DRSS
NRA Life Member
.500 NE Sabatti

Posts: 40 | Location: Boulder City, NV | Registered: 19 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500NitrEx:
Michael, sounds like some more reduced NE testing is in store for you Wink
All kidding aside, I did think of some more questions. While working up these practice loads, how many rounds should I test of each loading? And, should I work them up 1 grn at a time, or some other amount?

Oh god I hope not!!!! HEH..... Testing the nitros in a double is a BITCH.... Capital BITCH. Break open with wires attached is a pain in the ass. Of course all has to be done from the bench, no questions about that, which shooting from the bench is not the issue, its open and close without damaging everything around it! I'd rather test in a #1 or 1885 much easier.

To answer your question "How many test rounds"...... In the old days I used to use 5. I cut that back to 3 for standard work. Today, sorta depends on the bullet too, expensive bullets I will do two each to get basic data, if pressures are low and I am working up, I might bypass some anomalies on the low side, and continue up. But, if I have any anomalies on the upper end of things, then I retest with 3-5 to confirm things.

1 gr per test? Sometimes, especially getting close to the top end, yes. Again, I do bypass such depending on where I am, and what I am working with. With the Doubles, most everything Sam and I have done has been fairly conservative, 1 gr per, but there have been occasions we bypassed and did 2 or more.

Me and the bolt guns.... WEll lets just say that can get a little wild sometime....... I may do some serious bypasses on normal load data operations.
M

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The load for the .500 NE of 86g of R-15 a full-length Kynoch foam filler and 450 gr Woodleigh SP came from me. I sent the bullets and Kynoch foam to Michael and Sam when they were testing to just get data on it while Sam's rifle was rigged up.

That load was suggested to me by 'Dirklawyer' several years back as a practice load for my .500. I have shot many. IIRC, the load was certainly safe as to pressures...but did have a secondary peak...which is technically undesirable.

However...the load regulates in my rifle so I do still use it. I also had Michael test some A 5744 with those bullets (.450 W SP) but I can't remember the load. But...the A 5744 load gave a more desirable pressure curve...just have not had the time to try it for regulation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37884 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Lane

Yes, you are correct, I could not remember details on some of these doings around here! LOL....
ANd again, correct, the 5744 load did give a nice pressure curve, slightly more pressure, but nothing of note, 5000-6000 more PSI.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried Hodgdon's Varget with with the 500?

Posts: 1625 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes and I didn't like the pressures it generated. Take a look at the data on Michael458's site in 500 Nitro section.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Yes and I didn't like the pressures it generated. Take a look at the data on Michael458's site in 500 Nitro section.

tu2