THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    First outing with my new 30-06 Baikal
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First outing with my new 30-06 Baikal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Yesterday I headed out to the range with couple of guns to try out; one of them was my new 30-06 Baikal double. It is my second Baikal rifle in this caliber, I liked my first one so much that I decided to buy me a second one and convert it to a rimed cartridge which I chose the 30R Blaser for it, but I decided to shoot it first before I do the conversion to see how it will shoot before and after.

I had a load which I was shooting in my first rifle, it needs much more refining but that is all what I had at the time.

I set my target up at 29 yards, settled down behind the bench and let go of the right barrel, looked through my spotting scope and to my surprise it had hit the target at 1" to the left at 10 o’clock. I did really like what I saw and prayed that the second barrel will be somewhere close in the neighborhood of the first.
Well I let go of the left barrel now and WOW was I thrilled at what I saw; the second shot was exactly 1/2" and at 8 oclock to the left from the first shot. Now I had to stop for a minute and let what just had happened sink in.

I wanted to continue to keep shooting but I did not want to spoil the beautiful group. I decided to wait, moved the target to the 50 yards line, settled down and let go of the right barrel to the center of the target and the same thing repeated itself. I shot 10 rounds 5 of them were in one 1/2" raged hole and the total size of the group was an amazing 2", that is coming out from a somewhat crude cheap rifle.

The pix will tell the rest of the story.

Best regards

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best.

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are great rifles if you get a good one. Barrels get damn hot don't they?

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure they do, but they are sleek and handles great, they fit me perfect and come up like a shot gun. this one's barrels stays open when you open the breach.

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you get a good one? From the way mine shoots, and reports of others, they all shoot, or can easily be adjusted to shoot, better than most others. Great shooting, Malek. I wish they made these in 9.3. I would stop paying thousands of dollars for double rifles.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Malek, the little Baikal rifles were a pleasnet suprise to me judging by the price.

Roskoe had one down at the DRSS 4K ranch hunt a couple of years ago, and even before I shot it the over all look of the little rifle was a pleasent suprise as well. His was a 45-70 and you didn't have to ask if it fired when you pulled the trigger, but the accuracy was impressive. The triggers were very heavy, and need work on most of them, but considering the price that is a no brainer. I've been thinking about buying one for a canoe rifle to strap in my canoe, and to carry in a rifle rack in my 4x4 !

Congratulations sir! tu2 beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Malek

I do not think I would change anything on that rifle. I would keep it as a 30/06.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd:

Yes I know both of mine shoots good Thank God and yes they can be adjusted horizontally pretty easily. They are well built and stout; I think it can handle the 9.3x74 round with no problem. Though at 7.3 Lb I feel it is a bit light, I would prefer an 8 pounder but I think it will be alright as is.

Mac:

Thank you, certainly you can't beat the price. You know it is the kind of rifle that grows on you and with time you developed a liking for it. Definitely it will not strike a wow in you like other prettier more expensive ones would do, but you start with it as an ok rifle, then you handle it, look at it, and you start liking it, then you shoot it. It might frustrate you a bit at the beginning; my first one certainly did that but then when you get it to shoot where you want it to, you then really like it a lot.

I definitely think that you will not go wrong having one, especially as a canoe companion.

No2;

I kind of thought about it quite a bit and decided to have 2 of them in 30cal. I will keep my old one as a 06, and rechamber this to the 30R Blaser. The Blaser will be the one I believe will be the rifle that I snatch going out to the deer/boar camp or after them mighty squirrels.

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Of course, for the 9.3 I would want them to make the barrels heavier; as it would be too light and produce too much recoil but the action will certainly take it; the 30-06 places more stress on the frame than a 9.3x74r.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Of course, for the 9.3 I would want them to make the barrels heavier; as it would be too light and produce too much recoil but the action will certainly take it; the 30-06 places more stress on the frame than a 9.3x74r.

That would make a lot of sense. I think the 30R Blaser and the 30-06 are in the same league, pressure wise!!

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

one of us
posted Hide Post
I might try and get a Baikal 45-70 for target practice and dry fire practice.I can also shoot all those 405gr bullets that I have left from my 458 Lott shooting.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malek:
quote:

That would make a lot of sense. I think the 30R Blaser and the 30-06 are in the same league, pressure wise!!

Best regards

Malek

That is exactly correct! The 30 Blaser was designed to allow one to re-chamber a 30-06 to have a rimmed cartridge with the same ballistics and chamber pressure. The chambering reamer will clean the 30-06 chamber and the existing extractor shoe can be cut to accept the rim, negating the need to build new extractor shoes. That is a very easy conversion from rimless to a rimmed cartridge without having to do anything other than re-chamber the rifle and make a cut in the existing extractor. Anyone with access to a lathe can do the work himself!

I have seven double rifles so my interest in the Baikal is for a utility knock about double rifle that I don’t have to worry about getting it wet, or a little surface rust from the fog or spray in a canoe and the wear on the finish from a rifle rack in a 4x4 or canoe. I could just buy a Merkel 140-1 chambered for 30 Blaser or re-chamber one that came chambered for 30-06 but I’d be reluctant to carry that one in a canoe or a rifle rack.

Gentlemen there is a place for every level of double rifle, and there is a need especially in the USA for an affordable double rifle that could be sold to more Americans useing double rifles, and that is tough enough to stand the riggers of every day back packing, hunting, and fishing use. IMO, the Baikal is up to the task with just a little very inexpensive mods! The biggest needs are trigger work, and in my case, I would solder the regulation feature permanently once regulated for my load!

....................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The biggest thing that Baikal needs is a better stock design, which I can provide them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My first shotgun was a borrowed single shot Baikal.I can not recall anything rusting as easily as a Baikal.The Baikal worked fine and I later moved up to an Italian superpose but that Baikal rusted like crazy.Beretta used good steel that did not rust easy.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK help me out here.

I do think a rimmed calibre is much better for a DG rifle.

But, why would I take a good shooting low cost double in 30/06 [where I can get ammo anywhere, including WalMart] and rechamber it for the 30 Blaser???

I bet there is not 300 rounds of 30R Blaser ammo in the entire USA. shocker

And yes, I have shot a 30R Blaser, in Germany, and it is a good cartridge, in a place you can buy ammo for it...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I might try and get a Baikal 45-70 for target practice and dry fire practice.I can also shoot all those 405gr bullets that I have left from my 458 Lott shooting.

You can't go wrong with such a choice. believe me you will have a lot of fun shooting that thing when it regulates well.

I don't know about the rusting you mentioned, in another post. Mine seems to be of a good metal and showed no rusting tendencies at all. But I haven't been out with it in really bad whether yet.

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is exactly correct! The 30 Blaser was designed to allow one to re-chamber a 30-06 to have a rimmed cartridge with the same ballistics and chamber pressure. The chambering reamer will clean the 30-06 chamber and the existing extractor shoe can be cut to accept the rim, negating the need to build new extractor shoes. That is a very easy conversion from rimless to a rimmed cartridge without having to do anything other than re-chamber the rifle and make a cut in the existing extractor. Anyone with access to a lathe can do the work himself!

I have seven double rifles so my interest in the Baikal is for a utility knock about double rifle that I don’t have to worry about getting it wet, or a little surface rust from the fog or spray in a canoe and the wear on the finish from a rifle rack in a 4x4 or canoe. I could just buy a Merkel 140-1 chambered for 30 Blaser or re-chamber one that came chambered for 30-06 but I’d be reluctant to carry that one in a canoe or a rifle rack.

Gentlemen there is a place for every level of double rifle, and there is a need especially in the USA for an affordable double rifle that could be sold to more Americans useing double rifles, and that is tough enough to stand the riggers of every day back packing, hunting, and fishing use. IMO, the Baikal is up to the task with just a little very inexpensive mods! The biggest needs are trigger work, and in my case, I would solder the regulation feature permanently once regulated for my load!

....................................................................... old[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mac for the info regarding the 30R Blaser.

You are right, it does not make much sense to take a Markel or any other expensive rifle and through it in a canoe or on a rifle rack in a 4x4, and yes the Baikal is a good tough rifle that will stand to some tough use.

Believe I have few other double rifles too, but I enjoy shooting my Baikals as much as enjoy shooting the rest of them, yes they do need some tinkering and adjustments but you end up with a very handy double that you can use it hard without having any worries or regrets.

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
OK help me out here.

I do think a rimmed calibre is much better for a DG rifle.

But, why would I take a good shooting low cost double in 30/06 [where I can get ammo anywhere, including WalMart] and rechamber it for the 30 Blaser???

I bet there is not 300 rounds of 30R Blaser ammo in the entire USA. shocker

And yes, I have shot a 30R Blaser, in Germany, and it is a good cartridge, in a place you can buy ammo for it...

No 2:

I do hear you and understand the logic behind your post. On the other hand I did shoot my Baikal in 30-06 for quite a while now, hunted with it too and as much as I enjoy it, I am not very comfortable with the reloading process and the reloading speed of a non rimed cartridge.

To me when I am shooting a double I am shooting it to enjoy it first of all and to practice fast accurate shooting and quick reloading.

Shooting a non rimed cartridge like the 30-06 does not cut it for me. Because it does not simulate shooting my other doubles and therefore does not provide me the practice I am seeking.

I know shooting the 30R is a bit expensive initially but after acquiring the main component, (the brass) everything else costs the same as the 06 does. I do hand load all my ammo even for the 30-06, so I am not worried of having to buy ammo off the shelf for it.

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn thing is they are chambered in 9.3x74 , but they are only sold in Russia,I bothered the heck out of EAA when they first started bringing these in to bring 9.3 over, to no avail

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If we all got together and bought 50 of them, we could get them imported in 9.3.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked at some '06's and etc before I got mine ordered. I didn't want another 7mm, or an 8mm, didn't want a 9.3. For going over 30cal, I want to jump to 40cal, on the next one. The 30R looked like the right option for me. Other than the brass & dies, it is reasonable to shoot, with all the bullet selection a person can ask for. I had just acquired a 300H&H, and was thinking in terms of it. The 30R offered minimal compromise for me. Brass can be had, it isn't cheap, but, it can be had. And now, I even have a local store carrying it, on the shelf, cheaper than the stuff I ordered along with the gun.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I don't know. The target at 50 yards looks pretty good. But if you look at how close the bullets are in the 29 yard target then it means the bullets are crossing somewhere between 29 and 50 yards.

For the sake of argument, suppose the bullets converge then begin to cross at 35 yards. If that were the case the bullets spread from 0" apart to 2" apart in 15 yards. Under that assumption, it would equate to a spread of 10" apart at 75 yards and 13" apart at 100 yards.

I suggest you shoot the rifle at 75 yards and/or 100 yards to better determine how it's doing.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one loved the Baikals as much as I did, owned both the 30-06 and the 45-70. Fun, accurate, and cheap. But also extremely crude with very bad fitting stocks and the 45-70 barrels were so thin at the muzzle it gave me the willys. They were both a lot of fun in the beginning but after picking up nicer rifles slowly realized the Baikals never came out of the safe anymore so sold both of them.

If I were looking for an inexpensive double today would start with the Valmet. Sure, its a lot more money but still pretty cheap and they are built much better.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just reading a few posts about the Baikal
and that they make an 9.3 in Russia,well what do we have to do to get them impodted in the states? I posted this same thing about months ago and was told that didnot make this double in 9.3 so i am so glad that someone posted this 9.3.But agin what do we need to do to get them to import them here?

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Call the importer?

http://www.eaacorp.com/news.html

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave; thanks for pointing that out it good to know.

dpcd, you might be right if enough people got together the y might be able to convince EEA to import some. I will PM you regarding the stock.

209; you made the right choice in choosing the 30R, was it a Baikal? Luckily for you, you have a local store that carry them and for a better price for that matter, enjoy, it must be a lot of fun.

Greenadier; If the 50 yard target had the right barrel on the right and the left on the left of target. The main thing is that both barrels do shoot pretty much to the same horizontal line. It is much easier to adjust the horizontal spread than the vertical.
More tests and load development to come and you are right the rifle will be shot at 100 and 168 yards for that matter, soon God willing.

Snowwolfe ; I hear you and I know that a more expensive rifle that appeals to the eye a lot more and handles a bit better. But still I like the way that the Baikal (30-06) handles and the way it mounts at least on me. you do the thickness of the barrels on the 30-06 are half way decent, any thicker and the rifle will become muzzle heavy, again I do love the way it handles and balance as is.

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine isn't on a Baikal. The store that has the brass and ammo, has a German gunsmith, who brought in some guns for the store he works in. And the ammo, which is a total bonus, and a smart move on his part. He brought in some 7x65R/20ga and 30R/20ga combos.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Thin muzzles give you the willys? Pressure of a 45-70 at the muzzle is so low that you could make them paper thin and not have problems. I will check on importation from Baikal; I will not go through EAA; that only adds a layer of profit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 9.3 is currently only available in the ugly O/U with the large gap between barrels. These were briefly imported and re-badged as Remington Spartans.

Baikal Double

Posts: 188 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 12 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If it is only in a O/U, I definitely don't want one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it is only in a O/U, I definitely don't want one.

+ 1 tu2

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wookie76:
The 9.3 is currently only available in the ugly O/U with the large gap between barrels. These were briefly imported and re-badged as Remington Spartans.

Baikal Double

I don't believe Remington ever sold any chambered in 9.3x74R though.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Baikal Double

I don't think mine is too ugly. I did change the scope to a low profile 1.25 x 4.5.
Baikal 30-06 by tarawa1943, on Flickr

Shoots good too.

carl hog by tarawa1943, on Flickr

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
@tarawa, That does look pretty good, I've only ever seen them with the gap exposed. Good to know.

@malek, Congrats on your new rifle.

Posts: 188 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 12 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
@tarawa, That does look pretty good, I've only ever seen them with the gap exposed. Good to know.

+1 tu2

tarawa; that piggy should taste good yummy.

Thanks Wookie

Best regards

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malek,

How did that 12/7X57R work out?

I just today found a Baikal 221 in 45-70 for a good price. I went tire kicking, and got kicked back. hilbily

To those here who are afraid of the thin barrels, look at a fine drilling sometime. Wink

Mac,

I could use some private info regarding 45-70 loads you would recommend for this little lightweight.

L2S

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As for the 12/7x57R, I wish I can tell you, it has been sitting in the safe wailing its bad luck that it landed in the hands of such a person as I, who does not have any taste in fine fire arms. Wink

I bought some ammo but never shot it. I have too many things going on at the same time and don’t know if I will ever get around to shooting it. I am thinking of putting it out on the market for sale. do you know of anyone who is interested?

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malek:
Yesterday I headed out to the range with couple of guns to try out; one of them was my new 30-06 Baikal double. It is my second Baikal rifle in this caliber, I liked my first one so much that I decided to buy me a second one and convert it to a rimed cartridge which I chose the 30R Blaser for it, but I decided to shoot it first before I do the conversion to see how it will shoot before and after.

I had a load which I was shooting in my first rifle, it needs much more refining but that is all what I had at the time.

I set my target up at 29 yards, settled down behind the bench and let go of the right barrel, looked through my spotting scope and to my surprise it had hit the target at 1" to the left at 10 o’clock. I did really like what I saw and prayed that the second barrel will be somewhere close in the neighborhood of the first.
Well I let go of the left barrel now and WOW was I thrilled at what I saw; the second shot was exactly 1/2" and at 8 oclock to the left from the first shot. Now I had to stop for a minute and let what just had happened sink in.

I wanted to continue to keep shooting but I did not want to spoil the beautiful group. I decided to wait, moved the target to the 50 yards line, settled down and let go of the right barrel to the center of the target and the same thing repeated itself. I shot 10 rounds 5 of them were in one 1/2" raged hole and the total size of the group was an amazing 2", that is coming out from a somewhat crude cheap rifle.

The pix will tell the rest of the story.

Best regards

Malek

Do tell us, what load were you using for this outing?

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2Barrles:

The load consisted of the old Nosler 150gr solid base (SD) on top of 57gr of WW760, ignited by Federal F210 primer. AV velocity was 2830f/s.

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
posted Hide Post
malek

Have you considered just cutting a rim on the existing 30-06 chambers then necking up 7x65R brass and fire forming to fit?

I believe this has been done before and gives you a rimmed 30-06 cartridge which shouldn't affect the good regulation your rifle has now. Sounds simpler than a complete rechamber.

I can't see 7x65R brass being any more difficult to obtain than 30R Blaser.

Just a thought

Rhodes
DRSS

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
7x65R brass (and ammo too) is about 100 times easier to get in the US than 30 blaser.