New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double rifle trade??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to use a double rifle for a cull elephant hunt this october, but the problem is I don't own a double rifle!
I cannot buy one right now, but I was wondering if you think that this idea is a feasible one...I own a vintage William Evans 12ga side by side shotgun. It has been expertly restored by a well know gunsmith and it is georgeous.
Do you think it is feasible that I can find someone to trade my Evans for a working-condition double rifle in a big bore caliber?

What do you all think, and suggestions are appreciated.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
For the right person a trade on a plain K-gun or Merkel , or who knows if they love your Evans even a nicer rifle.
I have recently fired a gorgeous Evans with an asking price of $16K,

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You asked for suggestions. Mine would be to post GOOD photos and provide accurate details on things like weight, barrel length, chokes, LOP, drop, cast on/off, when manufactured, WHO did the restoration, etc. Doing so would greatly increase the chances of connecting with someone who might be interested...

I continue to be puzzled at the number advertizements where people use terms like, "beautiful grain, fabulous /metalwork/color/engraving, great stock blank, georgeous work... These are highly subjective judjements. I even recall something along the lines of, "must see to believe".

I have long since given up on the frequently seen requests for interested parties to email for photos. There are excellent directions on the Help Forum for posting photos - if I can follow the directions, I bet anyone else could. Plus, I've seen many requests for assistance posting photos getting prompt action from other Forum members. Good luck.

Posts: 403 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good suggestions and thank you.

Emory, I will put up some pictures as you are 100% right. I have wanted to post pics in the past, but took one look at the directions and forgot about it!

Yes DuggaBoye, I would definetly trade it for a well used Merkel etc.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a double rifle to trade you, but I've got an average looking wife if you're interested...

Who am I kidding? I don't need a 12 gauge. You can just take the wife.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would contact George Caswell at Champlin Arms. He deals in British shotguns and double rifles.

So he has a market for your Evans.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maddenwh,

As it was suggested to me, please post pictures of your wife along with some info such as age, dimentions, etc.
I might be interested in her, but I must get rid of my wife first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE 450,

I looked their site over and I will call them tomorrow. There is a Army $ Navy 450NE there that I would murder for....take a look at it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leopardtrack:
NE 450,

I looked their site over and I will call them tomorrow. There is a Army $ Navy 450NE there that I would murder for....take a look at it.

That looks like a nice double.
The 450 NE is a great cartridge.
With 28"bbls and at 11.5lbs it would be a joy to shoot.

My 450 No2 has 28"bbls and weighs about 11 3/4lbs. I would not change anything on it.

I have hunted elephant and cape buff in very thick bush and the 28"bbls are not a problem.

On a 450/470 double I would MUCH rather have 27/28" bbls than 24".

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 450/400 has 28" bbls and the rifle is nice handling for sure!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote