Find
Notify
Tools

2nd Trigger Technique
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted
I'm sure folks' styles will differ, but when you move to the second trigger, do you shift your hand at all or do you keep your hand firmly in place and just move the trigger finger?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Antlers, of course it all depends on the size of your hand, but I move only the finger! On game like cape buffalo, even if the first barrel puts him down or not, I never remove the rifle from my shoulder,or hand from the grip and automaticlly pop him again while he's on the ground, or up the butt if he turns to run before he's out of sight. Then re-load!

........Congratulations, that is a beautiful rifle! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have small hands so I have no choise but to shift my hand. Before going to hunt ele, I bought a SxS 12 bore with double triggers to help get used to the whole process.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Good advice Mac !
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Antlers, of course it all depends on the size of your hand, but I move only the finger! On game like cape buffalo, even if the first barrel puts him down or not, I never remove the rifle from my shoulder,or hand from the grip and automaticlly pop him again while he's on the ground, or up the butt if he turns to run before he's out of sight. Then re-load!

........Congratulations, that is a beautiful rifle! beer

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on which gun I am using but generally move finger only.

And as Mac says, I pull it anyway then reload.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Darned if I know???

On all of my "real" double rifles (the SxS ones, all with two triggers) I was never conscious of moving either trigger finger or hand for the second shot. I would fire the first shot, and my trigger finger would almost magically be on the second trigger as soon as I was able to pull the finger and trigger again.

Of course, I have also shot double SxS shotguns all my life....and I still use my old "Elsie" (Smith) 16 ga. when I need a scattergun......
My first double (an Old Ithaca "Flues Model" 12 gauge) taught me to take doubles rather nicely and easily on Teal, and the Greener 12 would occasionally yield solid doubles on Geese, so maybe all those rounds down range are what made double rifles seem so natural without thinking about the triggers.

I do have very large hands, though my fingers are not abnormally long.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
I have a Searcy in 470. If I rush the second shot, the right trigger hits the back of my trigger finger. I have had to practice making a slight hand shift to prevent this.

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
I'm sure folks' styles will differ, but when you move to the second trigger, do you shift your hand at all or do you keep your hand firmly in place and just move the trigger finger?

No. Proper grip places the second knuckle of the second finger of the shooting hand firmly against the back of the trigger guard, which obviates the possibility of it getting a running start against the knuckle. It also prevents the first knuckle of the trigger finger from getting smacked by the front trigger when the left is fired. Moving the shooting hand back from the guard will only get your fingers whacked.
-------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:

No. Proper grip places the second knuckle of the second finger of the shooting hand firmly against the back of the trigger guard, which obviates the possibility of it getting a running start against the knuckle. It also prevents the first knuckle of the trigger finger from getting smacked by the front trigger when the left is fired. Moving the shooting hand back from the guard will only get your fingers whacked.

400, this was very helpful. Thank you.

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Just move my finger!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer to shoot rear trigger first,solves some of the problems mentioned.

Australia
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

Posts: 302 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wombat:

It solves the problem of me trying to pull the front trigger twice, too.

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Not to be picky, however you know that right handed Doubles are designed (regulated) to shoot the right barrel (front trigger) first?

A little practice goes a long way. . .

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wombat:

Does nothing of the kind. Knuckles can get wrapped if the grip isn't correct, regardless of order. Further, firing the left first to avoid a double discharge is a crutch, and no substitute for mastering double triggers.
-------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Not to be picky, however you know that right handed Doubles are designed (regulated) to shoot the right barrel (front trigger) first?

All the practice in the world ain't gonna help a spaz like me. I did the double trigger shotgun thing and all that but when the poop was about to hit the fan I was trying to break off that front trigger.

Hell, my fathjer bought me a Ithaca Mod. 37 when I was a kid. I never could get the hang of pull the trigger, pull the pump back, pull the trigger, pull the pump back, .....

That shotgun was a piece of crap. Smiler

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
[

All the practice in the world ain't gonna help a spaz like me. I did the double trigger shotgun thing and all that but when the poop was about to hit the fan I was trying to break off that front trigger.

Hell, my fathjer bought me a Ithaca Mod. 37 when I was a kid. I never could get the hang of pull the trigger, pull the pump back, pull the trigger, pull the pump back, .....

That shotgun was a piece of crap.
Smiler

........... Big Grin doesn't sound like the old Mod 37 was the problem!

............. BOOM............... diggin

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Here is my technique:

1. Hold your index phalange at a 42% angle to the centerline of the stock.
2. Bend the first knuckle of your index phalange at a 22% angle, to accomplish this you may need to bend the second knuckle at 10.5% angle.
3. Touch the trigger with the middle section of the first knuckle of the index phalange.
4. Pressure of the hand segment between the thumb and index finger should not exceed 15.7 pounds per square inch on the hand grip section of the stock; if pressure exceeds 15.7 pounds per square inch, release and repeat from Step 1.
5. Lightly begin applying back pressure to the trigger until it releases.
6. Change the angle of the index phalange to 47% from centerline and shift position to rear trigger.
7. Check for 15.7 pounds per square inch of pressure on the hand grip section of the stock; if pressure exceeds 15.7 pounds per square inch, release and repeat Step 6.
8. Lightly begin applying back pressure to the rear trigger until it releases.
9. If the rifle does not fire, check to ensure that Steps 6 through 8 have been applied to the rear trigger and not the front trigger.

Alternatively:

1. Fire the front trigger.
2. Fire the rear trigger.

Like golfers, sometimes I think we overthink what is meant to be a simple process. Cool

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck
I do agree with 400's grip, as I have shot double shotguns all my life. I have never had a finger slapped by shotguns or my .470NE.
Mike has a good point as well...you need to Shoot, Shoot, Shoot...it becomes second nature.
ND Wink

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe, maybe not. Have you ever tried left barrel first to see if that's true? Big Grin

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 510wells:
quote:

Maybe, maybe not. Have you ever tried left barrel first to see if that's true? Big Grin

I can tell you the manual for the Heym DRs says exactly what Rusty posted. That doesn't necessarily mean it won't shoot well going left first (I've seen posts that said there was no difference for some rifles), just that the manual says it was regulated that way and you should shoot it that way. It also says to shoot the left within 8 seconds of shooting the right.

I'm sure I'll try the left barrel first sometime, since having a solid in the left will be necessary eventually.

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Rusty is correct, but with some rifles it doesn't seem to matter. The simple solution is to fire a good group of four shots at 50 yds fireing the RT barrel first, then the LFT, then the RT, then the left. on a target, and then when the rifle cools back to "ROOM TEMPRATURE" fire a group on another target in the opposite sequince, and look at the two groups side by side. This part is fact! All double rifles are designed to fire the first shot from a cool barrel, and with only 8 seconds between the subsequent shots.

The barrels are not bothered by normal barrel hormonics, like a single barrel, because they are both tied to the other, but they are effected by the heat transfere, of one barrel to the other, hense the reason for the no more than 8 second delay between shots.

The carrying of the rifle with a solid in one barrel, (ususlly the left barrel) and a soft in the other is common practice. At close range it doesn't matter at all, so either barrel my be fired first. This is because the first shot on buffalo should be a soft if the shot is where it can be placed in the boilerroom, then followed by the solid as he runs away. All subsequent shots should be solids to get into the engine room from behind or rakeing shots from behind.

With things like Brown Bear all my shots will be softs!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith