THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Blaser S2 Luxux Safari 470 NE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blaser S2 Luxux Safari 470 NE
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking into buying the subject double rifle. Would like comments pro & con

Thanks
rs

Posts: 251 | Location: pa | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uh-Oh.... popcorn

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get ready RS. What Macifej is no doubt referring to is definite bias against what is a rather funky, non-traditional looking and handling double. Most here won't like it. (I'm kind of traditional myself when it comes to doubles, but try to keep an open mind -- it still looks funky).

Posts: 10371 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RS have you asked the same question on blaserpro.com?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
OK, here goes. I owned a 500/416 Luxus grade. Sold it to a friend when I stepped up to a 470. That rifle was used successfully in Namibia this year taking down a 60# ele.

Having shot both calibers side by side (pun intended), comparatively the 470 feels much clunkier than the 416. It also recoils noticeably harder.

More importantly, the balance of the 470 is off. The weight seems evenly distributed, making it feel front heavy. In Caprivi, another hunter had a K- 470. That gun pointed very well, just handled better. As stated in my hunting report, the Kreighoff points like a quail gun, the S-2 handles like a goose gun.

IMO, in the world of Blaser the 416 is an ok handling rifle, the line is crossed with the 470. One day I will either trade or sell the S-2. Going to Reno to date, fondle, and hopefully take home a new gal.

Cheers!

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Pro's:

They dont cost a arm and a leg, Just a arm!

They are usually very accurate, and can be simi-regulated to certain loads.

You can shoot any damn bullet you want in them, and not worry like a old lady, if you are screwing up your barrels.

If you crack a stock, or forearm while traveling order a new one. It cost about half of what a custom gun would take to replace.

Their finishes on the reciver and barrels is very durable.

You can scope them very easy, and the scope and mounts you can use on the other Blaser system (eg. R93, K95 ect)

Their "tilt block" action is very strong, and durable (I have never seen a S2 that was off-face or loose--some with well over 2500 rounds thru them.)
Cons:

They look different!

They dont handle as good as my Douglass!

They dont stay cocked after you break the action, you have to cock everytime the action is open.

Barrels are a bit long and bulky, effecting balance somewhat.

That is about it!

If you looking just for a durable hunting rifle with 2 quick shots, it will be hard to beat.

Not much romance, but plenty damn good at killing somthing!

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnWKiely
posted Hide Post
Mate,

I own a Blaser s2 Safari Super Luxus in 470 NE.

Pretty much what 505ED said. I like my rifle and find it great to use. Mine points like a fine shot gun and is on target when I shoulder it. It certainly is different and a lot who view this forum will have a lot to say about them, mostly negative but some positive. Each to his own

JWK

Posts: 75 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several doubles, and one is a Lexus 500 Blaser. The cocking method takes some getting used to, but I like the way it shoots, and I think the 500 balances rather nicely. I do not care for the vinyl strip between the barrels. It just does not seem as sturdy as traditional doubles, however, I have never had a problem with mine. Over all, not a bad double, just a little different.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Save your money,or get a merkel, hyem or for that matter anything else but not a blazer!traditional doubles are so much better manufactured and look the part not like a kids toy and for that matter those cocking levers similar to the krieghof are an accident waiting to happen if you ever get charged.
each to there own but i don't think they are much chop

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
traditional doubles are so much better manufactured

That's HIGHLY debateable...most are engineering and QC garbage...blacksmith crap from the stoneage. Would never rely on a traditional DR in a critical situation...

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still stand with my original statement. Once you get used to the Blaser cocking method, it is a very shootable gun and quite reliable. I also realize there are probably more differing opinions on this brand of doubles than any other. Sorry, zhaba but I do not and never have considered a Blaser double as a kids toy even though they are different. Opinions vary.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnWKiely
posted Hide Post
Once again the Blaser has given rise to opinions that are poles apart.
I do think saying that a Blaser is like a kids toy is a little bit emotive. I have no doubt that there are better made rifles as there are those which are of lesser quality.
A lot of the opinions regarding the Blaser (not all) that I have heard have been made by those who have never fired one but have formed those opinions based on their own particular likes and dislikes. I am sure that the Blaser will continue to divide the "Double" community. Which rifle you buy is entirely up to you.

JWK

Posts: 75 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I have shot a Blaser S2 in 375 and 500NE but I wonder what the rifle will be like in say 15 years.
I was disappointed by all the plastic that is used such as the filler between the barrels and the fore end tip which looks like ebony.
Basic Gal screws in Fore end.
Worst of all is that you have to Re cock the action every time after opening (Not a great feature for a rifle designed to be used on Dangerous game IMO (this is one reason where Kreghoff's safty is better).
Extracting cases in the 375 type caliber is quite tricky as you have to remove them with fingers which is quite awkward. The 500s just drop out.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The Blaser double is fine if that is what you are willing to settle for! If it floats your boat, set sail.

Personally I'd buy a farely priced used Merkel 470NE, or 500NE, and go hunting! I have absolutely no use for a dangerous game rifle that must be re-cocked when it is fired, and opened to be re-loaded in the middle of a fight for your life. The Krieghoff re-cocks it's self when opened to re-load,and is a far better choice IMO. The Merkels handle far better than either of those two, and if it means anything to you, they look a lot better as well. IOW, I'd far rather have a clean used Merkel than a new Krieghoff, and I would not own a Blaser at any price!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
IOW, I'd far rather have a clean used Merkel than a new Krieghoff, and I would not own a Blaser S2 at any price!

My sentiments also.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would rather have a used Krieghoff than a new Merkel.In fact,I would not own a Merkel.

DRSS

Posts: 41 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing get's ol' MacD fired up like talkin' bout the S2... hilbily

Everytime this topic comes up it makes me wanna go out and buy a new S2...or maybe a couple of em!! Big Grin

Hey MacD..!! A guy like you can afford to have an assistant reload and cock that S2 and maybe even carry it for ya..!!

One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Learning to cock the S2 is really no big deal. You just have to shoot it enough so handling your weapon becomes second nature.

When my ele rocked up to his feet and stared down from 10 feet, I honestly did not even THINK about cocking the rifle. I just did it.

On another note, past threads report QA problems with Searcy (Marty) and Chapuis (tomo577). I personally have not seen nor heard of one field failure with an S2.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a bit like ugly women.

They can get the job done but aren't much fun to look at. stir

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pichon1:
It's a bit like ugly exotic women.

They can get the job done but aren't much fun to you have to know what you're lookin at. stir

Wink

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:

Hey MacD..!! A guy like you can afford to have an assistant reload and cock that S2 and maybe even carry it for ya..!!

jumping jumping jumping

Man! are you missinformed! I never made more than 70K per yr,+ the little my wife made, in my whole working life! If it had not been for Airline flight privileges, and the US Army,hualing me around the world, driveing my cars ten yrs plus, I'd have never been able to go on Safari at all!

............AND I carry my own rifle, and it will not be a Blaser S2, I rather have a well worn bolt action! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Macifej:
quote:
Originally posted by pichon1:
It's a bit like ugly exotic women.

They can get the job done but aren't much fun to you have to know what you're lookin at. stir

Wink

Sometimes it's best to take ones glasses off and use the brail method. rotflmao

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
a well worn bolt action!

NOW you're talkin'...!! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
My Blaser .470 (purchased new) had a right barrel that shot on point of aim and a left barrel that shot 8 inches high and left of the point of aim. The US Blaser gunsmith tried to fix it twice, then wanted to send it to Germany for further repairs.

Rather than go through that, I traded it on a Krieghoff which shoots two inch groups with either barrel at 50 yards (from a rest). In September I used the Krieghoff for buffalo and elephant with excellent results.

I would recommend that you compare feel of the Blaser to a Merkel or a Krieghoff and I bet you will then not choose the Blaser. Compared with a Merkel especially, the Blaser handles like 2X4.

I understand I probably just got a lemon, but I found the Blaser customer service and my particular rifle to be of equally low quality.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well rslus, if you are still watching, you should have it all by now.
They ARE accurate.
They are built differently, so if you want traditional they are probably not for you.
One person says they would never own a Merkel. Psmith wroe a pretty well balanced piece, and seems to like both the Kreighoff and the Merkel. On other threads some have challenged the balance of the Kreighoff. best advice is to handle them all and then pick. You mght also take my advice and go to the blaser forum and see what they say!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I owned a s-2 in 9.3, and it was nice enough. I would own another.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
As a follow up, I'll be the first to admit the Krieghoff is not the most attractive double rifle in the world, and compared with a Merkel it is a bit chunky. Mine is extremely accurate, and personally I like the cocking system.

I'm certainly not comparing the Krieghoff to other doubles which are far more expensive in the same way I don't compare my Jeep to a Land Rover. I think the Krieghoff's only comparable rifles are the Merkel, Chapuis, and Blaser. Of course a British double is "better" than a Krieghoff, probably a Heym or Searcy are too, but they ought to be since they cost 50% more and up. I was limited on what I could spend on the rifle; if I had had another $6,000 I probably would have bought a Searcy.

I'm just saying, having owned a Krieghoff and Blaser, and fired a Merkel, that I prefer the Krieghoff. It worked like a champ for me in Zimbabwe and shooting a buffalo and elephant with a double is really fun.

I'm also not running down Blasers in general, I like the R93 and the single shot rifles they make. I just got a Blaser that was a lemon; it happens.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IT IS ALL IN WHAT YOU, NOT OTHERS, LIKE

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gi:
IT IS ALL IN WHAT YOU, NOT OTHERS, LIKE

Bingo: Technologically the S2 is a marvel, some guys hate them because they are non-traditional. You will be buying a high quality, strong and accurate double with the Blaser scope mount system.

It's your money...

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 841 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I have shot Searcy, Merkel, and Heym doubles and they all had their good and bad points. That being said, I LOVE my R93 and WHEN I get my first double, it will probably be an S2 in .500/.416. Non traditional gun in a non traditional caliber.

The S2 may be the strongest, most accurate, most durable double on the market and they are several thousand dollars less than a Krieghoff or a Merkel and half the price of a Heym. I say if you want traditional, buy traditional. However, I come from the bolt gun side. I don't give a hoot about tradition. I want the same things in a double that I want in a bolt gun. It must be strong, accurate and reliable and a Blaser S2 gives you that in spades as well as the finest scope mounting system available if you are so inclined.

One other thing. I think all this talk about the safety on the S2 is a bunch of bovine fecal matter for two reasons. First, in the unlikely event of a charge, it will most often come from close quarters and you will be darn lucky to get off two shots let alone four. Secondly, it you can't train yourself to operate the safety on your own gun, maybe you shouldn't be out there in the first place. Take it out to the range, run 100 rounds through it and the safety thing will be a non issue. BOOM

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote