THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    9.5x74R (.375" diameter bullet)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.5x74R (.375" diameter bullet)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted
I've heard B. Searcy and others offer this caliber
option in D/Rs. 9.3x74R brass opened .009 to use
.375 bullets instead of .366 bullets. Anyone have a
D/R in this caliber? Is the brass straight with a taper
to the mouth or is there a neck? Can it be recham-
bered to the H&H Fl Mag caliber if so desired?

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
If it were rechambered it would probably need to be re-regulated also. The barrel twist might not be correct either.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The 375x74R is exactly like the 9.3 case; you still have a neck; .009 is not enough to remove the neck on the 9.3 brass. Rechamber to 375FL? Why; Just order it that way to start with. But I think it would be easy to do; the two rounds are very close and it looks like the 375FL would clean up a 74R chamber. They are so close that rifling and regulation should (should) be ok. In the US, the 375x74r would have been a good idea, but it is too late now; the 9.3 is more common than it used to be, 30 years ago. Back then, bullets were so hard to get that I swaged 375s down to .366. And people were making brass from stretched 444 Marlin brass. I still have some, somewhere.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with dpcd. 9.3mm bullets are readily available from Nosler etc. Is there a ballistic advantage?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
I agree with dpcd. 9.3mm bullets are readily available from Nosler etc.
Peter.

And heaps of other places / makers as well.

30 years ago is not today.

And as for rechambering to 375x74R, 30 years ago they were rechambering to 9.3x74R with the ODD one done to 375FlMag because I have one of two Rigby's done to that calibre.

And why would you want to create an odd ball ?

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
... people were making brass from stretched 444 Marlin brass.

That's a hell of a stretch. How do you do it and is it safe?

Posts: 5106 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They used rotary ball bearing spinning tools of some sort; (I only bought the brass; I did not have the tools) it was safe as all you are doing is making the brass thinner toward the neck. The head and the first inch or so is unaffected. That was in the dark ages of the 1980s and there is no reason to do it now for the 9.3, although it is still done for the long Sharps brass; and some others, making longer ones from 45-70. Go to Buffalo Arms site and you will see some brass made from shorter brass.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Dpcd, Simply because the quality bullets are so easy to get today, the re-chamber that would be a lot better would be to neck the 375FL down to take the 9.3 bullets. This would allow a little more power to the rifle with that case, and give you a 375FL head stamp as well that would for all practical purposes put in the same class as the 375FL and will be a proper diameter for the barrels in the double rifle you are re-chambering! What do you think?

......................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Hi guys. I started this thread with a couple of
points in mind. I believe 9.3x74R brass is
easier to get (over the long haul) than 375 Fl
Mag. I speak about the rechamber idea because I
believe a 375 Fl Mag would be more valuable and
sell easier than the quasi-wildcat 9.5x74R. Also,
.375 is the legal minimum in some places for DG.
Saeed's done so well with his .375 wildcat on
the 404 Jeffery brass I figured this 9.5x74R round
would be a great "fraternal" twin to that. Big Grin

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had bailey Bradshaw build a single shot rifle in that caliber last year and with the custom dies I found its a fun caliber to play with but in the 6.5 pound gun it can be a bit too much. rNB

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 06 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D R Hunter:
Hi guys. I started this thread with a couple of
points in mind. I believe 9.3x74R brass is
easier to get (over the long haul) than 375 Fl
Mag. I speak about the rechamber idea because I
believe a 375 Fl Mag would be more valuable and
sell easier than the quasi-wildcat 9.5x74R. Also,
.375 is the legal minimum in some places for DG.
Saeed's done so well with his .375 wildcat on
the 404 Jeffery brass I figured this 9.5x74R round
would be a great "fraternal" twin to that. Big Grin

It is true that there is only .009 over with .375 bullet over the .366 bullet, and you and I know that but we are talking AFRICA here. If you use the 9.3X74R case necked up to .375 if they check your ammo,they will go by the head-stamp, not what you SAY the bullet diameter is.

Besides that the rule is not only the bullet diameter but includes the energy it develops as well, and the necked up 9.3 case to .375 would gain nothing on energy end of the equation! You know T.I.A.(~This Is Africa~)

That is the reason I suggested the 375 FL case necked down to take the .366 or even with the .375 bullet. It would give you the .375 head-stamp and would actually increase the energy with the larger capacity case!

Please don't misunderstand, it is no skin off my butt either way you go, but I simply want to make you aware of the way African officials think. They may not check your ammo at all. Actually the 9.3X74 R is legal in Zimbabwe anyway, so you could simply use the 9.3X74R double. That is my light rifle combined with my bigger 470NE double.

I had the officials check my ammo boxes when I was LEAVING Zambia a few years ago,and questioned me as to why I was taking the empty cases (Their words were actually not empty CASES but EMPTY BULLETS)back with me. When I told them I re-load the ammo I got a dumbfounded look from the official. He had no idea you could re-load ammo.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What length case would it take to get velocity around the belted H&H or Rugers version of the 375?
I know it would not be commercially viable but that rifle would be an interesting light rifle to have along. I know that the 300 grain bullet would be the one to go with but I have fallen in love with the 375 TSX 270 grain bullet for all around general hunting.

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks MacD37, I get you now!

BLASERGUY, I think you'd need the full length 2.94 inches.
Seems CEB Non Cons can do all we need at 270 grains
wave

D/R Hunter

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Rechamber to 375FL? Why;

+1 I just can't see any reason to do this when so many quality bullets are now available in 9,3.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote