New
Find
Notify
Tools

case value
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I love vintage guns. This question applies to both shotguns and rifles (doubles especially):
How much value do you put on the original case?
I have some guns with the original leather and oak luggage case, but the makers label is absent, or the felt is worn to the point of being emabarassing! One case is missing the dividers, and the leather strap for around the pistol grip is ripped off.
I know there is a good market for these old cases, but how do you place value on them?

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Value of the cases is probably best done with prior sales. I have paid a low of 300$ for canvas cases, 700$ for leather cases, and between 900-1500$ for fine oak and leather cases. Original labels are a plus as are charge cards and accessories.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Hard to place a value on a case since not all cases are created equal. I have the original case for my pre-War H&H, along with all the original tools, oil bottle, snap caps. A beat up canvas case with labels warning about tropical loadings, etc. To have the whole package for something that is almost 100 year old is hard to determine a price for . . . but as part of the total package it is worth way more to me than a a couple of grand.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
IIRC, H&H want at least $7000 for a new oak-and-leather case to go with one of their guns or rifles. Considering the prices they charge for the guns, it amazes me they are not free.

Posts: 5111 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
That would be ridiculous. If I was buying a new gun, no way I would pay more than $750-$1000 for a case. To me for a case to have any real value it needs to have some historical significance with the rifle it holds.

Mike

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
That would be ridiculous. If I was buying a new gun, no way I would pay more than $750-$1000 for a case. To me for a case to have any real value it needs to have some historical significance with the rifle it holds.

The above is correct! A double rifle or shotgun with a case holding all the labels and tools that match the classic rifle or name shotgun enclosed in it is worth several thousand dollars if it is in even fair condition. If labeled for a famous hunter the price can go through the roof to a collector!

................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, even at the most modest values quoted, if I can find someone to re-furbish them, would it add enough value to the gun as a package, as to be worth the effort?
The few I have that I would consider doing this for, are good leather cases, but without some dividers, and the felt is in need of replacing. The makers lable is long gone.

Posts: 177 | Location: Brooks, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Jimmy:
IMHO--NO!
The cost to refurbish a case will cost far more than the value will be. That said, I have done this to cases for rifles I plan to keep in my collation, but not to a case I plan to sell, or a rifle and case I plan to sell. If you are curious, contact a case maker or refinisher and ask for a quote to redo a case and fit tools. Many replies will knock you off your chair!
Cal
PS. Of course the work may be justified if a Holland Royal but not a plain bpe double.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I agree with Cal. Unless I had a case that was original to a rifle that I also had, I would not entertain refurbishing the case.

Mike

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I agree with Cal. Unless I had a case that was original to a rifle that I also had, I would not entertain refurbishing the case.

I too agree with Cal! To restore a fitted case it is only cost effective if the case can be absolutely connected to a classic rifle.

The only way even a new double has added value because of a fitted case is if the case came with the rifle from its maker with the proper label affixed. Then it will only add no more than $500 dollars or so to the new made rifle being sold, unless it is one of the top Britt makers. Then it will add quite a bit to its value, even if new.

..................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I paid $4500 for a case a year or so back- but it came with a Browning Superposed in it.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote