New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Shooting with DR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For those of you who have shot long range with double rifles with scopes I have several questions. # 1 - How do you regulate the POI with scope for long range? # 2 - For long range shooting can you mainly set up so that your scope is zeroed for your primary barrel? Some of your experiences with long range success seem impressive so there must be some important information for setting up your rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the experts have not answered your question so I will try. My (scoped) 450 x 3 1/4 has been shot at 50 yards and at 100 yards without sight adjustment. Both barrels will kill at 100 yards. I would not take my primary shot at 100 but if I had shot DG at close range and it was leaving the county I would certainly shoot at it at 100 and expect to hit it. At this point one is not looking for a DRT but rather just trying to slow it down and leave a bigger trail. Before heading for Africa I would probably shoot it more at 100 to get a better feel for where the right barrel shot.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
clayman216 your question is one that most need to ask, but sadly never seem to!

......... beer congratulations!

Whe you need do is fire a six shot composit group keeping track of where, and in what order the bellets from each barrel hit the target, @ what ever range your rifle's iron sights are marked for. This with the iron sights! Now, with the keeping track of the each barrel's shots you nee to find the center of each barrel's individual group. Then draw line horrizonally from the center of one barrel's group to the center of the other barrel's group. Exactly half way between the centers of each barrel group either mark with a dyemarker or place one of those orange targ-dots. This dot should be in line with the aiming point, verticlly, of the iron sights are pointing at.
Now go back to your shooting position, line up your rifle on the aiming point you were hoding on to shoot the composit group, and make sure the rifle does not move, mount the scope. The best way to do this is to remove the barrels from the rifle and lock the under lugs in a padded vice, with the iron sights lined up on the aiming point you were useing, then move the scope's cross hair to the orange dot you place half way between the centers of both barrels. The only adjustment needed now is elevation, for the range you want the scope to shoot. Personally I just shoot a 100 yd group with the scope and adjust the elevation to the center again at 100 yds, than just like any other rifle hold over for longer shots.

Now no matter the range you will be shooting for the center of the composit group of both barrels, so your only adjust ment will be elevation for down range shooting.

You see, the sights, both iron, and scope should be shooting for the center,horrizonally, of the composit group of both barrels. the centers of each barrel will be on it's own side of the aiming point, and will remain there no matter how far you shoot the sights will still be pointing at the center of the composit group of both barrels, THAT IS, "IF" your load is shooting to the regulation built into the rifle, in the first place.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MacD37 --- Thanks you for the excellent explanation. Members of this forum are great for sharing their experience with others with less knowledge.

I would be interested in particular successes at long range as to what game taken and what what distances and calibers. All this information will help me decide on getting a DR and if so what caliber to get.

one of us
posted Hide Post
With correctly regulated loads your double should not cross at any distance.

I have taken a coyote at 287 yards and a kudu at a little over 300 yards with my scoed 9,3x74R.

With iron sights I have taken a caribou at @150-175 yards, with my 450/400 3 1/4", and a giraffe at @190 yards with my 450 No2.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what 450 just said - i've taken probably 50 or so impala for bait at ranges up to 200 with my 06 o/u. zebra at that range with a 9.3x74 and a puku once at a bit over 200 with a 470. #1 thing - go try it and see

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
450 #2 said it.

I've taken a black wildebeest at 218 yards with a .470. My gun does not cross or not appreciably so out to 200 + yards. So it simply becomes a matter of knowing where to hold at long range. The old house wives tale about doubles being short range only rifles is just that, a fairy tale.

A well regulated accurate double is every bit the long range rifle that any comparable heavy bolt gun is.