THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Perfect Bolt Rifle for the Double Rifle Guy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Perfect Bolt Rifle for the Double Rifle Guy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The DRSS will probably want to Tar and Feather Me for this, but here goes.

The perfect bolt rifle for the double rifle guy is the Blaser R 93.
Here is why:

We are used to 101% relibality with our doubles.
The Blaser is 101% reliable out of the box.

We sometimes "need" smaller bore rifles of supreme accuracy/shootability.
The Blaser is very accurate.

There are some hunts that are "bad weather" or "rough duty" that we would not want to take our doubles on.
A Blaser R 93 Synthentic is perfect for such a hunt.
By adding extra bbls the Blaser is avialable from the 222 to the 416 RM.
Extra bbls take a lot less space than complete rifles.
You can change calibers without loss of zero.

As the Blaser breaks down a Double Rifle shooter can travel with a Blaser R 93 taken down and NONE of your DRSS buddies will know you have a Bolt Rifle. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony, Tony, Tony, it's so sad to see senility set in so quickly after retirement, especially for a young guy like you. Maybe you should ease off on the shooting. Could be the recoil.

Repeat after me: Bolts are trash, bolts are trash, bolts are trash..... thumbdown Big Grin Big Grin
------------------------------------------------
Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
now we all no you want a double barrel bolt action r93 i sure blaser could make one for you.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The perfect car for the R-93 owner is an Volkswagon Thing as it has about the same beauty and grace. beer

The perfect clothing for the R-93 owner is a pair of white capris with a pink truffled tuxedo shirt and a straw derby with forrest green suspenders for the "international" look. animal

The perfect women for the R-93 owner is very pretty little blow up doll made out of high tech rip stop plastic. Doesn't look real good but boy does she perform! Reliable too! Eeker

Of course she should have interchangeable orfices for different occasions. Cool

And obviously if the ole gal hauls off and blows half your head off you should admit that that is a small problem but that the bolt collet stayed in the chamber and only the shroud actually failed blowing only part of the head off not the whole thing as the Sig rep admitted to me. thumb

.450, I used to own an R-93 synthetic and they are all you say. I just couldn't get used to the weird little quirks. The plastic guts. The bolt that would sometimes slip out of battery causing the worlds loudest click when you pulled the trigger on a critter. And the thought of having my face half off in the dirt kinda bothered me. But it did go bang most of the time (but not always) and it was deadly accurate. And it was built to fantastically tight tolerances.

Now repent you sinner before we call father Rigby in to preform a bolt-trash-demon possesion, excorsim on your wicked soul. stir

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Are there any rules within the DRSS to IMPEACH its members????????

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
to bad shooting trees isnt a offence...........
youll hence forth be known as "charging oak".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
The DRSS will probably want to Tar and Feather Me for this, but here goes.

The perfect bolt rifle for the double rifle guy is the Blaser R 93.
Here is why:

We are used to 101% relibality with our doubles.
The Blaser is 101% reliable out of the box.

We sometimes "need" smaller bore rifles of supreme accuracy/shootability.
The Blaser is very accurate.

There are some hunts that are "bad weather" or "rough duty" that we would not want to take our doubles on.
A Blaser R 93 Synthentic is perfect for such a hunt.
By adding extra bbls the Blaser is avialable from the 222 to the 416 RM.
Extra bbls take a lot less space than complete rifles.
You can change calibers without loss of zero.

As the Blaser breaks down a Double Rifle shooter can travel with a Blaser R 93 taken down and NONE of your DRSS buddies will know you have a Bolt Rifle. Big Grin

I think you left part of the upper body in Africa, my, my Tony how could you consider that untenable position. Tony, you've got too much time on your hands, can you retract retirement?

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh my, I can smell the Tar starting to boil....
However, if you search past AR threads you will find many factory AND custom bolt rifles that just DO NOT WORK.

I have 3 Blaser recievers, 7 rifle bbls, and one 28ga. shotgun bbl.
I have fired several hundred rounds through them.
I have taken them to Alaska where I hunted several days in the rain. HARD rain.
I have driven them around on an ATV in the dust for several days. In fact I did not clean one R 93 for the entire deer season.
I have changed bbls and scopes with no loss of zero.

In short the Blaser R 93 has performed PERFECTLY.
What more could someone ask???

Just as Double Rifles have "won me over" because of my experiences in actual use, so have the Blasers.

I only report what hads been my experience.

I do not set out to prove anything, only report on my results.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can add only one word to this discussion:

PLASTIC!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't like the design of the Blaser 93 at all.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
I can add only one word to this discussion:

PLASTIC!

clap

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
aaahhh come on dan we all know your a secret r-93 cult leader you probably have at least 5-6 93's with 10 barrels and other blaser gismos and gagets. even one of those german hats with the big ass wight flower on it. rotflmo sofa

ps i just got buzz charltons hunting the african elephant good shootin dan hope you keep on knocking em down like that.

i cant wait soon as i get my rifle..........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe because I have used "military" type rifles and handguns in my work for so long "plastic" does not automatically turn me off.
As long as the gun works 100%, I like it.

However, since I have retired I have been wanting to hunt more with my wood stocked Blaser R 93.
It even has GOLD animals on the reciever. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Besides Tony, my friend David has a Blaser with .375 H&H and .257 Wby, barrels.
I am amazed at the accuracy of these rifles right out of the box.
In deed these are "Plastic". No one likes change, however the Blaser is a well made rifle.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shame on you for even mentioning such a creation of the devil next to the words double rifle thumbdown

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't anyone remember to bring the feathers? Wink Big Grin
------------------------------------------------
Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Tony, you have gone and done it now! You'll never live this disgrace down! SAD DAY IN BLACKROCK! CRYBABY

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Tony, you have gone and done it now! You'll never live this disgrace down! SAD DAY IN BLACKROCK! CRYBABY

You got your computer issues worked out just in time to join in the tarring and feathering!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Have you ever had a stuck case in a Blaser? Reason I ask is that I would think the bolt design might make is hard to extract. Never had the opportunity to shoot one so maybe I am way off base.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
youll hence forth be known as "charging oak".

I think it would be more accurate to say "Killer of Charging Oak." Razzer

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok Tony, put down your guns, stop posting responses on AR and start posting pictures from your 31 day safari for all of us poor bastards, still among the working majority, stuck behind their desks!

Love,

Killer of Charging Oak

577NitroExpress

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will try to get my wife to help me with pictures.

Rosco
All bolt action rifles have a means to assist in the initial extraction of the fired case. On most "regular" bolt rifles it occurs when the front edge of the bolt handle cams against the back of the reciever.

On the Blaser there is a hardened pin that is forced against the rear of the bbl as you pull back the bolt.

I shot a fellas 300WSM Blaser with some Winchester ammo. The bolt was a little sticky to open and I could see that this pin was doing its job.
This same ammo fired in his other 300WSM a Browning A-Bolt also gave sticky opening.
Two other different bulleted loads from Federal did not cause this stickyness in either rifle.I have shot quite a lot of different factory loads and some handloads in my Blasers with no signs of any pressure issues.
I have also shot 416 and 300 Weatherby Blasers with no issues.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In fact as I think about it it might even be easier to get a stuck case out of a Blaser.
In a traditional turn bolt when it locks up most of the time cou cannot even raise up the bolt handle. Once you hammer the bolt handle up you still sometimes have to insert a rod down the bbl and drive the case out/bolt open.
Sometimes the bolt handle gets broken off and/or the locking lugs get galled.

With the Blaser, if you had a stuck case you could apply pressure to the bolt handle at the same time you apply pressure with a rod down the bbl into the case.
Less lickley to damage the gun.

NEVER TRY TO DRIVE OUT A LOADED ROUND WITH A ROD DOWN THE BARREL. There have been at least 2 deaths I know of at benchrest matches because of this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
In fact as I think about it it might even be easier to get a stuck case out of a Blaser.
In a traditional turn bolt when it locks up most of the time cou cannot even raise up the bolt handle. Once you hammer the bolt handle up you still sometimes have to insert a rod down the bbl and drive the case out/bolt open.
Sometimes the bolt handle gets broken off and/or the locking lugs get galled.

With the Blaser, if you had a stuck case you could apply pressure to the bolt handle at the same time you apply pressure with a rod down the bbl into the case.
Less lickley to damage the gun.

NEVER TRY TO DRIVE OUT A LOADED ROUND WITH A ROD DOWN THE BARREL. There have been at least 2 deaths I know of at benchrest matches because of this.

Tony, Tony, my man, are you trying to convince yourself that this is your next DG rifle and you are going to leave those doubles home this fall? My goodness, it looks like you really picked up some back fungi during March in the Dark Continent. I really hate to see anyone slipping that badly!

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

Posted 10 May 2006 20:20

quote:
Tony, you have gone and done it now! You'll never live this disgrace down! SAD DAY IN BLACKROCK!

You got your computer issues worked out just in time to join in the tarring and feathering!

Actually I didn't get it fixed, I just clicked at the bottom of the page where I thought the button would be, and it let me post a message, but I have to do a quote by manualy typing in the quote (
quote:
)
, and drag and drop the highlighted text in between them. You know how it is with old Cowboys, if'n one way don't git it, then thar's another!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
You know how it is with old Cowboys, if'n one way don't git it, then thar's another!

Adapt and overcome! clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
African Hunter
Do not worry I will still be taking 2 doubles to Zim in Oct. I will probably take 2 R 93's with 375 and 308 bbls. Peg is going with me and we will be doing some shooting that a scoped bolt rifle is better for.
The R 93's are the most reliable bolt rifles I have ever used.

In fact a hunting buddy of mine had a couple of Blasers and hunted with them quite a bit.
He decided he needed some "higher quality custom type rifles" [He has a fair amount of money] so he traded off his Blasers and bought some high dollar guns.
The next time I talked to him he was having fits with his new guns, they were not as accurate as his Blaser's, one a 330 would not shoot worth a hoot, and they did not function 100%.

I asked him if he ever had any problems with his Blaser's [he hunted Alaska quite a bit]
He said No never a problem.

I replied "Well there you go".

one of us
posted Hide Post

You are not yet beyond help! Do this today before it's to LATE!

Go to the House of Father Rigby down on H&H street. In the name of the holy mauser admit your sins. Father Rigby will perform the Heym-Lich maneuver on your tainted soul. Hopefully this evil Teutonic demon will be expulsed from your body in one violent straight pull and slither to the ground in one bubbling mass of molten stinking plastic. clap

In the name of the Saint of CRF PLEASE seek help before it's to late. cheers

Hey guy I'm just kidding, obviously! Please enjoy your rifles and may they serve you well.
thumb

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Go to the House of Father Rigby down on H&H street. In the name of the holy mauser admit your sins. Father Rigby will perform the Heym-Lich maneuver on your tainted soul. Hopefully this evil Teutonic demon will be expulsed from your body in one violent straight pull and slither to the ground in one bubbling mass of molten stinking plastic.

Dang, that's funny! jumping

In the name of the Saint of CRF PLEASE seek help before it's to late.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No 2!

You been raiding too many crack houses without protective gear!

rotflmo
465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun."

If your parents didn't have any children chances are you won't either.

Posts: 468 | Location: Davie Florida | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
The perfect car for the R-93 owner is an Volkswagon Thing as it has about the same beauty and grace. beer

The perfect clothing for the R-93 owner is a pair of white capris with a pink truffled tuxedo shirt and a straw derby with forrest green suspenders for the "international" look. animal

The perfect women for the R-93 owner is very pretty little blow up doll made out of high tech rip stop plastic. Doesn't look real good but boy does she perform! Reliable too! Eeker

Of course she should have interchangeable orfices for different occasions. Cool

And obviously if the ole gal hauls off and blows half your head off you should admit that that is a small problem but that the bolt collet stayed in the chamber and only the shroud actually failed blowing only part of the head off not the whole thing as the Sig rep admitted to me. thumb

.450, I used to own an R-93 synthetic and they are all you say. I just couldn't get used to the weird little quirks. The plastic guts. The bolt that would sometimes slip out of battery causing the worlds loudest click when you pulled the trigger on a critter. And the thought of having my face half off in the dirt kinda bothered me. But it did go bang most of the time (but not always) and it was deadly accurate. And it was built to fantastically tight tolerances.

Now repent you sinner before we call father Rigby in to preform a bolt-trash-demon possesion, excorsim on your wicked soul. stir

jumping jumping jumping jumping

Gentlemen,
When thinking of blaser r-93 the word cheap comes to mind pissers Yes, it's cheap trash sold for rip off rates and pimped by spiteful characters stir

The only way to free people from the blaser demons and witchcraft is tar and feathers. DRSS should confiscate Tony’s blasers for his own good........ these diabolic blasers shall be sacrificed at a blot

/JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry gents, as far as Blasers go I am a confirmed believer.

In fact I am at Heritage Arms in Salt Lake City
with Aleko right now. We are going to the range this afternoon and shoot some Blasers including a Blaser double.
I will report on the results with the double later.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i was talking to aleko on the phone i think im gonna order the 375 h&h standard conture barrel synthetic stock gun and top it with a lepould 1.5-5 vxlll maybe even a 3x9.

one of us
posted Hide Post
700 nitro
I was in the store when you were talking to him.

That is a great choice, I shot mine at the range with Aleko this afternoon.

If I was going to use a Leupold scope I would use the 1.5-5, or the 1.75-6, or the 2.5-8, always with the heavy duplex.

I chose the Swarovski 1.5-6x42 with the circle dot illuminated reticle for my 375 Blaser.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 400 or 465 Holland & Holland with Nickel AG 1,5-6x30 scope mated via their exceptional qd mount. thumb
The only thing I would consider from Blaser is one of their single shot stalking rifles.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I think I would rather hunt with a BAR sporting rifle in 300 WinMag than a Blaser R93. If cycling rates are the issue I think it would be a better choice. Believe it or not, some of them have produced excellent accuracy out of the box and I am unaware of any reliability issues. They come in all-metal as well. I understand Aussies and Kiwis use them for a lot of hunting situations. By the way, what are the reliability issues with a K98?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote