THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    New member purchased a Verney-Carron Sagittaire and has questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New member purchased a Verney-Carron Sagittaire and has questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted
Hello everyone. I'm a newbie on this forum who just purchased a beautiful used Verney-Carron Sagittaire 9.3x74R.
I am retired and have been shooting since the age of 4 and have been reloading since I was 15, but the DR area is new to me. I'm thrilled like a kid getting a new toy but have some questions since, as stated, this is my first adventure in the world of DR's.
How do I identify the date of manufacture? It apparently is an older model, in near new condition, though, as it has a Clay Center, KS listing on the receiver, right side, just over the chamber.
Also, due to a Fed Ex shipping mishap, there is a small, 1/3 fingernail size sliver chipped out of the toe in front of the plastic butt plate. Can I install a recoil pad (please suggest the best) without messing up the regulation? And finally, it came with (factory, I believe) bases and rings but the front base is out of the rifle. I'm not sure about installation of the base nor even of how the rings attach to the bases. The factory paperwork and target is in the box - regulation is with 286 grain Norma Oryx ammunition. However, the instruction manual is mostly for a shotgun model and there is no information on scope installation.
I look forward to enjoying this Forum. From what I have read, we seem to be on the same page in out thoughts and dreams and it's a great place to share these important facets of our lives.
By the way, I have collected Mannlicher-Schoenaurs off and on for over 30 years so if anyone has a question about Mannlichers, I'll do my best to answer or say "I don't know". There is so much dis- and misinformation going around about these wonderful rifles I want to do my best to relate what I do know to be true.
Thanks in advance for your sharing your knowledge with me.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, welcome to AR...lots of very knowledgeable folks here. For a Verney Carron, Ken Buch is the US Importer for them, and is a member here as well. You can contact Ken at Kebco at (301) 460-9563 or ken@kebcollc.com.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steyrsteve
posted Hide Post
Blebs,

Thank you.

NRA Life Member
DRSS-Claflin Chapter
Mannlicher Collectors Assn
KCCA
IAA

Posts: 473 | Location: central Kansas | Registered: 26 December 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM sent on M-S

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Sagitairre has a good repututaion and should work well for you once you and Ken Buch works out the details. He is a good guy and very knowledgeable. Good luck with that gun and good hunting with it. That's what's it's all about.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Another recommendation for contacting Ken Buch about your new VC. He will help you work through any issues you may have. Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of double rifles. I dare say they will be quite a bit different from your previous firearms experiences but they do quickly become addictive. Good luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR.

As a persons first double the 9,3x74R is an excellent hunting calibre, and an excellent choice. It is one of my most favorite hunting calibres.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You gun is at least 8 yrs old with a Clay City, KS mark.
They have used several different ribs so send a clear close up picture of the rib, from the top & side as well as a picture of the scope base.
A recoil pad will not change the regulation.
ken@kebcollc.com
301-460-9563

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote