New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heym 80b vs 88b
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Locally I have seen a lot of heym 80b in 9,3x74 for sale used. Prices have been low (around 4k). 88b in the same caliber seem to be almost twice as expensive (around 8k) used. What is the reason for this. I know 88b has greener bolt and is a little heavier. But is this a good reason?

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
and what town do you live in and what gunshop was this....ummm...real bad rifle in? Roll Eyes

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norway Smiler And I am misleading saying "lots", I have seen 3 used 80b's and one 88b. But the price difference is surprising to me...

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, we don't have those in the US. At least not that I can find. They are made on a smaller frame; that is all I know about them.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any Heym 80B in good or better condition for $4k wouldn't last 15 minutes most places in the States, and is a bargain anywhere. The 80B is Heym's small double frame, for calibers to (I think) .375 Flanged, and would be perfect for a 9.3. The 88B is intended for the larger calibers. The 80B, to my understanding, gives up nothing in quality to the 88.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 10513 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just did a currency Conversion and the price for the heym 80b is 6800 dollars. A bit higher than what i first stated.... Still an ok price?

Here are some pics.

http://www.finn.no/finn/torget...557&searchQuery=heym

I am wondering about trading my .470 Krieghoff Classic (basic model, have been shot 2-300) for a Heym 80b in 9.3x74 that has had 40 round through it. Would you think the trade would break even or should i try to get some cash too.
Was thinking 1k would be decent?

And I want to shoot a cape Buffalo in a year or two (mostly hunt moose), would the 9.3 be a allowed for buff?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never mind, he didn't like my K-Gun... Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that. You could always sell your K-gun and buy the one you really want today.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may get the price on the 80B in 9,3 down to 5200 bucks... It has gone 60 rounds and is as new...

So 80b is on a lighter frame (without crossbolt) and is of as good quality as 88b? It is really light at 7.05 pounds!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
7.05 lbs for a 9.3 is not overly light.

Not in my mind anyway.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Norsk,
I would not use a 9.3x74 on a buff,although many have used it successfully,why go to all the trouble of going to Africa to hunt DG & use a marginal caliber? I have hunted buff with my 470 & will do so again.

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fair enough. I would probably want something larger. I have traded in my .470 K gun and am looking for a good replacement. Wrote Bailey Bradshaw and inquired about a double in 450 NE or 500 NE from him. Don't know if he exports and what his build time is now however...

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You can get a new Chapuis 9.3 built to your specs for less than $5k, so the Heym 80b is not a good deal, for me.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for eliminating a lot of guns for me! Deductive gun shopping Smiler