THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Mike Merker's splinter forearm on Heym PH
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mike Merker's splinter forearm on Heym PH
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just received photos of my Heym PH on which Mike Merker converted the factory's semi-beavertail forearm to a splinter forearm. If one of you who were interested in seeing "before and after" photos of this project would e-mail me, I will forward the photos to you for posting here on AR.

Bill E.

Posts: 70 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike and Danny do great work.

Posts: 20163 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll bet this job came out just RIGHT! clap

Perhaps for picture help RUSTY is your man.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
if you don't mind me asking what was the cost? I have a couple of heym's I might like to do....

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
McKay,

As to cost: trimming down, shortening, and reprofiling to miniturize the forearm to the general splinter shape runs $600.00 to $650.00. This also includes some recheckering to pick up the original pattern.

I requested the smallest, most petite splinter forearm possible that would coordinate with the size of my rifle. This required stepwise trimming down, shortening, detailed reprofiling, and re-inletting the forearm release lever latch. In addition, I got the "best quality" (ie., as good or better than factory) checkering and refinish requiring layout and recutting to match the original butt stock pattern and restaining and refinishing to match the butt stock. In a phone conversation with Mike, he said he spent between 8 and 9 hours on this recheckering alone. This work usually runs between $850.00 and $1000.00. My total cost $900.00.

The work is excellent as Biebs stated. If you would like to see the "before and after" photos, I will be happy to e-mail them to you. If someone would like to post them here on AR, I will forward them to you for posting.

Bill E.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Bill,

If you email them to me, I will post them for you.

send them to pyodice@sbhcs.com

Paul

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You won't find too many gunsmiths that do top quality work as Michael Merker does and his prices are reasonable. He's bending a stock for me at this time.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Got the photos, Bill.

Am trying to get out of hospital as i can't access photobucket to put photos there and from there here. (Hospital IT department hasnt realized this is a "forbidden" site yet while photo hosting sites are).

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help, Paul. Enjoyed your 600 NE post.

Bill E.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Here you go Bill - BEAUTIFUL beer

BEFORE

AFTER

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!!!!!! There's something about a beavertail forend on a fine rifle or shotgun that is visually insulting. Well done!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the last 6 months I have had the pleasure of working with three exceptional artisans who also happen to be exceptionally fine people:
Mike Merker
Wayne Jacobson at AHR
Joe Smithson

All three take a personal and sincere interest in their customers, do excellent work, and finish on schedule. Those are Joe's low profile QD scope mounts shown in the photos.

Thanks again, Paul, for your help.

Bill E.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot one thing. I would now like to add the honorable "DRSS" designation to my signature line. I say "honorable" because of the quality, helpfulness, and welcoming nature of the members who post here.

Bill E.
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Awesome! That looks very good! And yes, Welcome to the DRSS!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
My pleasure Bill E. tu2

I like that so much I am considering it myself. How long did the process take to complete?

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
yes like it alot......could see doing my 470 this way. Intersted in the wait time as well......Thanks

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike received the rifle on the last day of March. I received the gun back at my home during the first week of July (July 4th delayed the delivery by a few days). He had estimated 3 to 4 months. So he had it in his possession for 3 months.

Bill E.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention something (again!). Mike told me in a phone conversation yesterday that he is now familiar enough with Heyms' forearm dimensions that he will be much more efficient in the future (ie., he will not have to reduce in such a stepwise fashion and will, therefore, save considerable time). Hope this info helps.

Bill E.
DRSS for sure!

one of us
posted Hide Post
very nicely done.

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Looks Great!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So much nicer to my eye now that it's splinter style. A very good decision!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, BigFiveJack, and all the others who sent well wishes, welcomes, and "good judgment" accolades my way. Of course, Mike is the one we are all complimenting for his outstanding work.

Bill E.
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great!!

Why is it that the DR makers put those beavertails on their rifles when they know fully well that most all folks like a splinter fore end on their rifles?? I am at a loss for this. Anybody know?

My Chapuis would look so much nicer with a fore-end makeover!!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
I would love to see a chapuis 9,3 with this makeover!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scottyboy and tendrams,

Contact Mike at 828-698-8804 for photos of his work on a Chapuis forearm. It came up in one of our conversations that he had "splinterized" (my term) Chapuis forearms. Hope this helps.

Bill E.
DRSS

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:
Looks great!!

Why is it that the DR makers put those beavertails on their rifles when they know fully well that most all folks like a splinter fore end on their rifles?? I am at a loss for this. Anybody know?

Six years ago, I would have agreed with you, but actual sales don't play out the way you would think.

Although I personally prefer a splinter (and try to talk my customers into one)... I would say that 85% order the semi-beavertail.

I try to push the splinter, but - in the end - the customer gets what they want, and the majority order semi-beavertails.

It goes without saying that Merker did a great job on that one.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
So this is an option that HEYM offer?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:

Yes. It's a $300 "extra" that's WELL worth the "extra" money.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
Although I personally prefer a splinter (and try to talk my customers into one)... I would say that 85% order the semi-beavertail.

I try to push the splinter, but - in the end - the customer gets what they want, and the majority order semi-beavertails.

I call this the Winchester 21 phenominon. I never have been able to figure out the allure of the model 21. A local gun shop has one for 9-10k. I wouldn't want it if it was the last gun on earth! It's about as ugly and clunky as they come. Now my Francotte purchased for about half the money is twice the gun.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, I just have to be the ignorant newby here. I'm still trying to get used to all the double gun terms, etc.

What is the difference between the semi-beavertail and splinter besides the obvious size?

They really don't look that different to me.

The beavertail is fatter right in front of the hinge and just seems fatter throughout. Is that the main difference?

Is it a functional or cosmetic difference?

Could somebody please explain in small easy to understand words for this ignoramus?

THanks

Bake

Posts: 113 | Location: Hills of SW MO | Registered: 04 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Yes a splinter forend is just smaller and does not wrap up around the sides of the barrels. Splinter to many traditionalists looks much better. Pretty much the idea is to stay minimal and just contain the forend iron. The only two pro's that I can think of to having a beavertail is if your barrels are hot you don't get burned on the barrels and when carrying "Africa Style" to me it feels a little more confortable with a little more wood contact on my shoulder.
Mac

Mac

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Wpe2.....just noticed in one of your pics. Are those smithson mounts you have for your scope? How do you like them?

Mac

One of Us
posted Hide Post
McKay,

Yes they are Joe Smithson's. I am very pleased with their low profile, solid anchor, and returnability to zero. Joe also made me a base for my Trijicon RMR to fit on the rear mount. So I have the option of the irons, RMR, or Leupold 1.5-5 illuminated. I can e-mail you some photos of the RMR setup (or get our friend, Paul CCMDOC to post them for me here on AR) if that would be helpful.

Bill E.
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
bakerb, American shooters (shotgun as well as rifle) are used to a beavertail forend which the hand grips. The hand does NOT touch the barrels, only the wood of the forend. British shooters (shotgun as well as double rifle) have always favored the 'splinter" forend which is MUCH slimmer and in fact the hand touches the barrels, almost wrapping around them. Thus, for double rifles, traditionalists favor the splinter forend.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. Didn't mean to hijack wpe2

Bake

Posts: 113 | Location: Hills of SW MO | Registered: 04 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bake,

No apology necessary. I enjoyed Peter's post also.

Bill E.
DRSS

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett Adam Barringer:
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:

Yes. It's a $300 "extra" that's WELL worth the "extra" money.

Brett

Agreed - one of the best decisions I made on mine.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Antlers,

It sure would be interesting to see a photo of your rifle taken in a pose similar to one of Mike's "after" photos (shown above in CCMDoc's 13 July 2010 post) for comparison of the factory splinter to Mike's splinter. Then it would be even more enlightening if Mike chimed in to explain why he could, or could not, do certain things. Of course, we all realize that it is more difficult and time consuming to "undo" something and then "redo" it into something different than it originally was.

Bill E.
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bakerb:
Okay, I just have to be the ignorant newby here. I'm still trying to get used to all the double gun terms, etc.

What is the difference between the semi-beavertail and splinter besides the obvious size?

They really don't look that different to me.

The beavertail is fatter right in front of the hinge and just seems fatter throughout. Is that the main difference?

Is it a functional or cosmetic difference?

Could somebody please explain in small easy to understand words for this ignoramus?

THanks

Bake

Aside from the asthetics of a spinter forend being much slimmer, trimmer, and sexier in my oppinion it's more functional. A splinter forend is slimmer which allows the hands to be rapped around the front of the forend and up on top of the barrels. This allows you to better control the rifle during recoil by improving your grip on the rifle and decreasing muzzle flip. In a heavy recoiling rifle it is exceedingly important to have good control of the rifle. Wrapping your hands around the barrels allows you to control it to the max. Besides God help me the beavertail forend looks hiddious! Eeker

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forget the looks of a splinter forend which does have great aesthetic value to me. Just think of all of the walnut trees we could save if all DR's had splinter forends. Tree huggers and rock kissers might join forces with us promoting no more beavertail forends, save a tree and save the eyes. dancing

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote