THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Need starting load for 9.3 x 74R please.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need starting load for 9.3 x 74R please.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Guys

Would someone mind suggesting a starting load? I'm using RL15 with a 2 gn dacron wad, Woodleigh 286 gn softpoint, RWS brass and Fed 215 mag primer. I'll then work up in 1 gn increments until I get what I want.

Thanks

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd start at 55 gr or 55.5 gr of RL15 with the 286 Woodleigh on RWS cases. I use WSR primers with RL15 ... but they are probably comparable with the FED 215.

You probably want to go by half grain increments until you get crossing and then backup some. If they cross ... the velocity is likely to be too high.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you mstarling. I've done exactly as you suggested - started at 55.5 and gone up to 57.5 in 0.5 gn increments. Now its off to the range to see how they go.

Cheers.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be sure to check for crossing at 100m not 50. My Chapuis appears to be regulated at 50m with 57.0 grains of RL15 on RWS cases with WLR primers, but is crossing at 100.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had my best luck with H4831 65 gr and either a 286 or a 300 gr a-frame - both regulated well with the same charge

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I had good luck with my Chapuis and both my Valmet's with 55grs of IMR4064 in RWS cases with Federal 210 primers. Only shot Woodleigh 286gr bullets both softs and solids.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Loaded up a batch with 56 grains of IMR4064, Federal 210 primers and 270 grain Speer SP bullets to shoot today. Will give a report later.

Mike

Posts: 21373 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote