THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Holland& Holland.....How good?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holland& Holland.....How good?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We have all, no doubt read many accolades for H&H double rifles and of course Purdey, Evans, WR etc. Some of you even own one.

Just how "good" are Holland rifles?

Does their quality match their reputation?

How much of the price is just in the name?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still have my grandfather's H&H double rifle, which he used a ton, my father used it quite a bit and I have also used it extensively. It is under going a complete refurb at the moment. I have pics of it with Tigers and fish and pretty much everything in between - if it could only talk!

Posts: 2570 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gun toter
posted Hide Post
they used to be the best.
they presently are not as good as they once were.

Alot of the price goes in the name, but if you are wise then a lot of the profit when you resale is aided by that same name.

I love my Avatar Too Fellas.

Posts: 190 | Location: Under my dancing Avatar | Registered: 01 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are they currently worth the asking price? I think not, but is a new Chevy Corvette worth over $100K? Not to me. They are well made, and as was said; the name aids in resale. There is a saying that I think describes the H&H DRs: "it's not how much you pay for it, but how much it cost to own it when you decide to sell...".

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I have owned 3 Holland Royals, a 1904 vintage 500/450 made for a British Lord, a 1952 vintage 500/465 made as one of a pair for the Maharajah of Gwalior and a 1913 vintage 12 bore Paradox that was made for a Russian Prince General. I still have the 450 and the Paradox.

All three are beautiful guns and they all shoot great. There's a lot of history behind many of the Hollands and I'd like to own every one I see if I could afford them. The quality on all three of these is excellant.

Some of the post war guns weren't as good of quality so each one needs to be evaluated individually.

Like many things, you get what you pay for. You can get a nice double rifle for a lot less but if the rifle is bought right I think they are a good value.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If $$$$ was no object, I'd own a Holland or 2. But since it is, I'll stick to the more economical stuff out there....trash that it is. Cool

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Suffice to say, the Holland & Holland double rifle is the one against which all others are compared.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
Suffice to say, the Holland & Holland double rifle is the one against which all others are compared.

465H&H

Agreed, Lewis Drake had a Jones Underlever 577 nitro at his booth in Reno, Oh how I wanted that H&H!!!

Still I think as far as fit and finish goes Max Ern's Rising bite guns a finished much better. But if someone would like to take me under there wing and by me an H&H and gladly take it!!!!!

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote