Find
Notify
Tools

CDP-bullets in my double?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys!

I just bought a box of CDP-bullets in 9,3 in a spur of the moment kind of thing when the gunshop didn´t have the Woodleighs I wanted.

Reading about the CDP it seems to be a good bullet and all, however I am sort of wondering if it´s a to hard of a bullet?

I mean in all it´s just really a reinvented partition, and they are considered hard yielding high pressures in rifles!

Has any one reloaded the 9,3x74R with CDP bullets and with what weights? I am using Norma gunpowders similar (ie identical) to Reloader 15/18, please advice.

Best regards Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one?

/C

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Chris - ask Andre - he used them in his double in 9,3x74R:

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/personal?x_mysp...age=profile&u=437105

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!!

C

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
True Chris, I've used Blaser 285 CDP in both my 9,3x62 and 9,3x74R for several seasons. They're wonderfully accurate and my O/U shot both bbls. in 1 hole at 50 m. However, after shooting 10-15 wild boars during drive hunts, I concluded they were too hard. Rarely did a chest hit running boar roll on the shot. They all ran for another 20-50 m before going down. I also had to stop a charging boar at 5 m and my bullet entered between the eyes and exited through the shoulder, breaking it. I missed several occasions to double on boars as the first one I shot just went on, so that I preferred to give him the second bbl. too. I've since changed to classic SP bullets (Norma Alaska and Lapua Mega) and all is OK now. Last Sunday and for the second time this season, I doubled on boars and all went down about immediately. OTOH, I'm acquainted to an African PH who swears by the CDP in 9,3x62 for buffalo. All his bullets exit and he hasn't recovered a single one from a broadside shot.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm great hunting as it sounds like, good hunting luck as well.

Point taken about the CDP:s I will save then for future fun and games in Australia.

Is there a chance I can get to hunt with you? I can offer a boat load of Alaska bullets in return or perhaps some moosehunting? Wink

Best regards Chris.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
As I explained in the European hunting topic, it's quite a hassle to guest hunt in Belgium. We are a small overpopulated and overregulated country, all land is private and has to be leased. There's plenty of big game though, especially wild boars whose numbers have exploded since 5 years and they cause a lot of crop damage (which hunters have to pay, BTW). You bring back memories, talking about moose. In 2001, I had the good fortune to be invited in Sweden to participate in the Norma moose hunt in Ostmark Gästis (Värmland) and I was lucky to shoot a cow moose. Here's a pic of me standing near the Norma trailer that carried our gear.

Now, sometimes luck strikes again as I'm leaving tomorrow for East-Germany to drive hunt wild boars, as a guest of Lapua Oy, the ammunition Cy.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmm thats ok, nice pic of a great hunt.

And as they saying goes here in Sweden, skitjatkt på dig, as in reference to the upcoming hunt

/C