New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning double rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a chance to get a 1970 era browning double rifle in 30-06 does anyone have one and how do they well do they work I have a chance to trade my Kreghoff single shot rifle for one new in the original factory box with Browning case. Thanks RNB

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 06 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
My best friends dad has one. It is an old one also. I don't know if it is from the 70s but definatly no newer than the early 80s. He bought it about 25 years ago for a leopard hunt that never happened.

It is a realy beauty of a rifle. I don't know how it shoots but I own a lot of other Browning products and I can't say I have come across one that did not work yet.

I don't think Browning makes them any more, I certainly have not seen them listed in the current catologue. I say if the Browning is something you want and the price is right or rather if the trade value is fair, GO FOR IT!!

You can always buy another Krieghoff later, they are making those things right now as I type!!

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have handled one, but all i really know is what i've read about them. I've read that they are hit or miss on regulation, as some of them aren't regulated well. I'd want to shoot it before i traded.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These were/are made by Lebeau-Courally, IIRC. Gorgeous fit/finish. Never fired one, though.

Posts: 490 | Location: middle tennessee | Registered: 11 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I doubt that they will let me shoot a new gun before I trade. I hadn't heard that they was regulated well I thought that Browning did a good build in the early 70's My very first browning was built at that time frame and forty years latter I have never had any problems or repairs and I have no idea how many rounds that have been fired threw it shooting sporting clays, trap and hunting. But the regulation worries me a great deal will call JJ tomorrow.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Presently, Browning is marketing 2 kinds of O/U rifles :

1. the real McCoy, called the CCS 25 and based on a specially machined 20 ga action forging. The bottom of the action is not hollowed out and the side walls are much thicker than on a shotgun. To illustrate my point, here's a pic of a B25 12 ga receiver (L) compared to a 20 ga sized rifle receiver (R) :

The double rifle also on its right side is fitted with 2 hollow gas screws to divert gases from the shooter's face in case of a primer/case rupture (see pic, the arrows point to the gas screws masked by the engraving) :

Barrel regulating is the classic (and expensive) wedge moving/soldering + test shooting (see pic) :

Standard calibers are : 30R Blaser, 8x57 JRS, 9,3x74R. When properly done, the rifle is extremely accurate. Here's how my 9,3x74R groups both barrels at 50 m (scoped & elbow rest) :

Being >90% handmade, the CCS 25 is expensive. 2009 retail prices go from 9.600 € (12.000 USD) to 15.750 € (19.688 USD), according to grade. My rifle, a B 5 "middle of the road" sells for 13.500 € (16.875 USD). It is possible to have a 100% custom rifle built to one's fantasy (cost ?!?).

2. the "look alike" CCS 525, built on a 20 ga B 525 shotgun action. Fully mechanized production, it's a nice, well made rifle. Bbl. regulation is easily (self-)achieved via a sliding ring between muzzles. Economically priced at 3.399 € (4.249 USD) - 3.659 € (4.574 USD),it's a working rifle which competes with the Beretta, Chapuis, etc. line but can't pretend to play in the same ligue as the FN CCS 25, Ferlach or best quality English rifles, but then it costs 1/3 of the latter's price...

For more info, have a look at :
http://www.browning-int.com/intro.html
*Browning - double rifles - CCS 525
*Custom shop- double rifles - CCS 25.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will speculate on one point. I bet that in all of recorded history there has never been a failure of any superposed style Browning double rifle trigger system. And, that includes double firing (ie. both bbls at the same time). If not one has ever doubled, we wont have to nit pick if the failure was due to shooter error or mechanical breakdown.

stir

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
None has ever doubled, and for a simple reason. The CCS25 comes with either a single inertia trigger or double triggers...

Being accustomed to B25 shotguns, I ordered mine with the inertia trigger. For hunting dangerous game, the twin triggers might be preferable.

I had only one misfire in the 28 years I own the rifle and it was due to a dud primer in a Norma factory load. I had to switch the safety/selector on/off to arm the upper bbl. but it was already too late and the running boar was gone.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andre, when you say "inertia trigger" do you mean the same thing as the second shot being set up by the recoil of the first shot? I couldn't think of the correct term and referred to this in another thread as "recoil activated". I wasn't sure of the right word and was trying to avoid confusion with the other recent kind of inertia system found in some auto shotguns.

If inertia trigger is the right terminology, it's common in Browning double shotguns both O/U and SxS and also was found on Ithaca doubles. I don't know its origin.

That boar of yours that got away probably wouldn't have gotten away if the rifle had been equipped with the other type of trigger Browning has put on SxS shotguns, the non-selective single mechancial trigger. No recoil is necessary for that one. For other reasons I don't like it as well, but that particular problem can't arise.

Btw, I've seen those 30-06s once in a while at gun shows and they are nice looking. The last one I think maybe had a straight stock. I've never heard of problems with the rimless cartridge in it, but nevertheless I think to others that's been somewhat a turn-off. The gun also never got popular in the U.S. because 30-06 is something you shoot here in a bolt gun, auto or pump. The price for U.S. hunters also I'm sure was a down side. Its appeal is limited to double gun buffs. If I was interested in one I'd first see what the prices are doing on GB.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that is a very handsome o/u rifle!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1155 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Shack,

Right, FN's selective "inertia" single trigger works via an internal steel mass activated by the 1st. recoil to cock the second hammer. I have 2 B25 12 ga shotguns with a single selective albeit "mechanical" trigger which does not depend on the trecoil of the 1st. shot. However, it's not transferrable on the CCS25 double rifle, due to much more heavier recoil and the associated risl of "doubling".

Correct again, double triggers would have saved the day after my 1st. "click" but then, it was my only problem in nearly 3 decades. OTOH, it's quite comfortable to have stock and trigger feel the same on my 3 hunting shotguns and double rifle.

The .30-06 rifle you refer to was part of a lot of genuine CCS25 chambered in .30-06 and .270 Win and aimed at the U.S. market. They came indeed with a straight gripped English stock (some with an accessory pair of 20 ga bbls.) and were called "The Continental". It was a commercial flop as FN-Browning grossly overrated U.S. gun price barriers, as compared to Europe's counterpart were hunting is generally a very expensive affair anyway.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
See Griffen and Howe's site, a Browning O/U in '06 is there for sale. Price is I believe just north of $8,000.00 w/ case??

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andre, I find there are some peculiarties with both Browning trigger types. I think the inertia type is more certain to work right and is smoother than the mechanical. In other words, with the mechanical you have to consciously release it all the way for it to go forward enough to activate the second shot. If not, nothing happens. That to me is an awkward arrangement and has a stiff feel to it. Besides that, you are stuck always with one barrel first, assuming non-selective, as on my Browning SxS Grade I 20 ga.

FN doesn't surprise me as the originator. Probably that's where SKB and/or Muroku of Japan got the design when they were doing the Brownings and Ithacas.

On all my hunting guns as a safety procedure at the end of a hunt when I'm putting the gun in its case, I check the chambers, point it in the air and pull the triggers. On the inertia type that means bouncing the stock on something hard, like a car bumper, to activate the second trigger pull. People must wonder when I do this, but I've been doing it 40 years and I think it's just a good habit. No accidents so far.

Anyway, I like the inertia type better. And even better I'd prefer twin triggers, but they aren't popular with U.S. hunters. It was pre-war since they were commonly put on guns here.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
My 2 B25 "Special Chasse" (see below) have mechanical triggers but I honestly don't feel much difference, maybe a tad more mushy, as compared with the inertial type.

However, due to a recent leadshot ban in some parts of the country, I wasn't willing to shoot steel through my B25's, so I bought a "steel certfied" Browning B525 12ga x3" with Invector chokes. That one came with an inertial trigger.

When putting my guns back in the safe, I insert snap caps and drop both firing pins. On the mechanical triggers, it's click-click. On the inertial, you can bump the shoulder plate as you do OR, after the 1st trigger pull, move the safety/selector ON/OFF to cock the second hammer before dropping it on the snap cap..

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Mushy" is an excellent word to describe it. Wish I thought of that. "Spongy" is another. But we're talking about the same thing. What I have now are two Brownings, a Grade II SxS 12 ga and a Citori O/U 12 ga that looks like a less expensive version of your B525 in the bottom pic.

When they put steel shot over on us here for waterfowl it meant the end of all the really fine old pre-war full choked and/or thin tubed doubles and more recent fine guns, like the Model 12s and 21s that were full choked. I sold just in time a 30" full choked heavy twin trigger Parker duck gun when I saw it all coming down.

This was a business opportunity for Browning, which they really took advantage of. I picked out my two Brownings because they were 3" chambered. The Grade II is Imp/Mod which is OK for steel and the Citori has the invector chokes. I use ImpCyl/Skeet for steel in it. I bought them before alternatives to steel were available, although I liked these guns anyway.

Straight stocks are not very popular among U.S. shooters. Hunters here are used to the pistol grip look and feel in long guns. Our guns have trended that way since probably the 1920s.

That's another marketing factor going against the 30-06 double in question here. Concerning which, I'm also not sure I understand the current prices being asked. I really could be wrong because it's been many years, but I don't recall these 30-06 rifles being more than low 4 figures. Maybe an optional 20 ga barrel set would make the difference, I don't know.

At any rate, if anyone wants my advice on it, here's what I'd do. I'd ask myself why I was interested in it. Is it because I have fallen in love with the whole African dangerous game scene? Have I developed a love of the aura of the big bore British double rifle? I ask these questions because it is exactly what I've felt myself. And reading Taylor's work on African rifles and Bell's Wanderings Of An Elephant Hunter certainly stoked the fires. And old Capstick played his part, even though I was already sold.

To cut it all down, if this is the real motivation, then there's a world of double rifles out there that fulfill more of that kind of interest than does an O/U 30-06. I'd save my money and go explore that world.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend has an early Belgian Continental, with the 30-06 barrels and the 20ga barrels, with a straight grip.

His, as a rifle, handles great and shoots accurately and as a shotgun handles well, though I would prefer longer than 26" barrels.

He had a single piece scope base fitted to the 30-06 barrels. It look great, shoots great too. You could fill a tractor trailer with the deer he has killed with it.

As far as old or fine shotguns and using them for waterfowl, or areas where lead is off limits, there are more than a few options.

I prefer Kent Tungsten Matrix, which is barrel safe and can be had in 1 1/4oz loads of No5 shot, which is perfect for everything from early season teal and woodies to late season blacks and mallards, and has accounted for more than a few canada geese that like the spread.

Busimuth is still an option and can be had in 2 3/4 and 3" as well as 2 1/2" cases, and there is another offering )might be a version of HeviShot) which loaded light and is barrel safe and is availble in 2 3/4" cases.

You can find more options. The big Cabelas catalog will provide info on several, along with prices.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post

Note that the as issued factory rifle does not have the claw mounts, and is regulated with 150 grain ammunition. I am the original owner of this example and purchased it new in 1983, added the claws in 1991. Andre' will undoubtedly remember some past posts regarding this excellent rifle. Oh, and the "Continental " also comes with a set of 20Ga barrels, Mod and Full. I truly love mine, and while I am thinking of parting with it because I no longer hunt... It remains a lovely thing.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just drive and inspected the Browning and it is unfired, the original warranty card is still not filled out. That being said the larger African calibers are cool in there own way but for here 30-06 will take anything I will shoot plus that I all ready less than a month ago bought a Heym 375 H&H and have heym 470 NE coming so I am looking to cover every thing r ember if you know how many guns you have in your safe you don't have enough keep on buying rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How well did your rifle shoot with the 150 gr ammunition, and who put you scope base on? Thanks Robert Bryant

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
That's a Continental all right, an original CCS25 action. I also find that a claw mount is paying due tribute to a double rifle. They're the best and 100% reliable in maintaining zero. Unfortunately, they're quite expensive (handfitting, brazing on and rebluing) and you have to look for a craftsman who knows how to do.
Properly installed, it's a work of art that adds value to an already fine gun.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It remains a lovely thing.

amen to that brother......wish I could take it off your hands

DRSS

Posts: 1155 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did not want to mess up rnb's deal. Time has passed by and I quess he has not buying.

I saw one of these a month ago at Cabelas. I think I was up in Portland Maine. It was a beautiful gun. I wonder if this is the one under discussion. And, if it is or if not, FYI, there is a Browning O/U rifle available at Cabelas here in New England.

My hunting buddy used a Citori for years, wore the finish off that gun. Reliable as the day is long.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am buying the gun Monday wife has plans for the weekend have already called about having custom 1/4 rib and scope rings added and re-zeroed for Hornaday ammo. after reading about the good luck people have had the price was right.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just curious as heck, is it the one in Portland?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Robert,
I'm fortunate to own a Continental set in 30-06/20 ga. Mine shoots very well and is well regulated. It is zeroed for 150 Gr. bullets currently. I have tried 165,173, 180, and 220 gr. bullets in it. The only variation, as expected, is the verticle point of impact.

As I read somewhere, there were only 700-800 of these made. It fun and relatively inexpensive to shoot. It's a good investment that will only appreciate with time.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gun in question came from Mich Cabalas

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Robert and welcome to the club. I hope you will soon be able to post some pics and a shooting report.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JUST PICK UP THE GUN FROM CABELAS IN KS KS HOPE I DID THE RIGHT THING.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just FYI, I looked again and the gun at the Cabelas in Portland (Scarborough) Maine. It is a 270. Still there. Price $4500. What it lacks in bore size, made up for as nice quality gun. You are buying all firearm here, no fluff. A gun, I would be more inclined to trust over a low volume expensive builder, engraved with mastadons or elephants. Not for me, but nice none the less.