THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Searcy double vs. Rigby double
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Searcy double vs. Rigby double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am mired deep in a dilemma over which one of these two fine rifles is the better assuming there is a noticeable difference. Would love to have a sidelock but I think Rigby's start at $43K while Searcy's start at $28.
Would appreciate a little input from the balcony please. I'm thinking about either a .470NE or .450 3 1/4 NE. Of course I've also thrown a .475 Turnbull into the decision just to help murky the pot. Not too concerned about ammo costs since I will reload and will likely shoot or certainly plink with reduced loads. Most of the around 800-1000 rds./ yr. I plan to shoot will be at paper and hopefully maybe a deer of two.

"This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok. "

Posts: 54 | Location: Brandon, Ms. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
bewildered Well sir, all I can say tell you is my preference, and that is nothing you can take to the bank to draw cash. My preference would be the Searcy in a heartbeat, no question! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
If you get it in .475 Turnbull, you better like it alot cause you will have a hell of a time selling it down the road.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slim, Get the Searcy. Even a sidelock Searcy would cost less that a new Paso Robles Rigby boxlock built on the Merkel action. Even better, pick up a used Searcy in a standard caliber and shoot it for awhile. It'll take several doubles for you to develop your own personal preferences for action, caliber, maker, barrel length, etc. Tom O (Onderus?)has some reconditioned Searcy 470s for $9K....Biebs

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Better options than both around, just look!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which Rigby are we taking about? My understanding is that the London Rigby will have balance and handling much like the "original" English doubles. I anxiously await seeing one! I believe it would be worth the money.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your talking about the new Rigby's that are being made in the UK no brainer IMO, the Rigby.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Tom O (Onderus?)has some reconditioned Searcy 470s for $9K....Biebs

How do you get in contact with Tom. He used to come into our shop then kinda disappeared after a divorce.

Tom

DRSS
NRA Life

"Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can - if necessary - look any man in the eye and tell him to go to hell!" US Cavalry Manual 1923

Posts: 93 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sarge, Tom just got remarried in Africa a couple months ago. But recently he had surgery that went badly, and he now does dialysis a few times a week. He advertises his wares on Guns International. If you go under Merkels, you'll find listings under Tom O.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the kind of money you're talking about, neither (assuming you're referring to US Rigby). The new British Rigby is an unknown as of yet, but might turn out well. The US Rigby is far from "fine".

There are better options in DRs for that kind of money, beginning with pre-war British.
----------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.heymusa.com/88_B_SL.htm offers a 470 NE sidelock worth looking at if you

insist on spending the money. A good old fashioned English made best boxlock can be built

by www.ttproctor.com for a bit over 40K US. It will have a beautiful scalloped back and balance

like a dream.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote