THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Starting to load for Francotte .470 NE
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starting to load for Francotte .470 NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted
All:

Need some thoughts and suggestions on loading up for the .470 NE. I have been loading for both the .500 NE and .577 NE, but now looking to develop loads for my new Francotte .470 NE made in 1927.

Can anyone offer some good suggestions? I like RL 15, but hear guys get good results with H4831SC.

Will a filler be needed in either of these two powders?

I will be shooting the 500 grain woodleigh SPs.

Thanks in advance.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I should also note that the Francotte does not have any info on the barrels to say what bullet weight or powder charge it was regulated with, with the exception that it was regulated with solids.

So, does anyone have any knowledge of what bullet weight .470 NE were regulated with in Leige in 1927???? Is a 500 grain bullet a safe assumption?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Paul,

You will need a filler with RL-15, no filler with H4831SC. The Federal load is 87.5 grains of RL-15, with no filler but the special, hotter primer that they do not sell to the public. In my Evans, I have been using 87.5 grains of RL-15, a Kynoch foam wad, a Federal 215M primer and 500 grain Woodleigh solids.

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul,
I would start with 85 grains of RL 15 with 500 gr Woodleigh Softs and work up.

I use Federal 215 Magnum Primers.

You MUST use filler, as you know.
I like a foam plug cut out with a sharpened [with a chamfer tool] 50 BMG case.

Dacron poly will work fine as well.

Once you find the right load with the Softs, drop 3 grains and start with the 500 gr Woodleigh Solids.

For a deer/pig load get some 350gr Hawks with the .035jkt and start with 75gr of IMR 3031 or just use the same powder charge of RL 15 that works with the 500 grainers.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Paul,
I would follow Tony's recomendations. In my Searcy 89 grains of RL-15 works...but so does 85 grains.

I don't care for the Hawk bullets in my doubles...they do funny things in full power loads...I have never tried the 350 grain though.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would start with the loads that JJ used. And see how they shoot at 50 and 100 yards. I would shoot them over your chronograph to get a base velocity. Next the fun begins as you try to duplicate them.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul, my Merkel shoots absolutely great with 89 gr of RL15 and the Kynoch foam plug (500gr bullets). The #'s are a little faster than in 1927, I think....2200fps. I like the suggestion of using about 84-85 gr and work up...with the plug. The most consistent loads I got were with the combo mentioned.
I'm going thru the same thing now with my 450 NE....RL15...w/o a plug seems best so far.
450 case is smaller and Wright says no plug needed in 450 on down.
You will not need foam with 4831, but mine didn't shoot as well, and I personally think she kicks morewith the 4831 loads.
Good luck.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like not using fillers so I went with 107-108 gr H4831SC.