THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Perfect for North America,and a first time double buyer!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Perfect for North America,and a first time double buyer!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted

quote:
Model 140
Photo to come.
The Model 140 is a self cocking, Anson & Deeley boxlock with cocking indicators, side clips and receiver ledge. Greener crossbolt with double under barrel locking lugs. Double trigger with the option to have the front trigger as a set trigger. Also, a single, non-selective trigger is available on special order and at extra cost. Automatic tang-mounted sliding safety. Case ejection through split cartridge slide or Holland & Holland ejector for rimless cartridges with extractor claw. Ejectors available at extra cost. Barrel Length 600mm (23.6") and weight approximately 3.5kg (7.7lb). Classic English-style pistol-grip oil-finished walnut stock (Hogsback available on request). Receiver is colour case hardened and hand engraved in Arabesque pattern with higher grades of engraving available at extra cost.

Imported into Australia in 7x65R, .308Win, .30/06, .30 Blaser, 8x57IRS and 9.3x74R.

This is a real hunting rifle for most of North America, and all of North America's game, with one or more of the cartridges it is chambered for! This is the Merkel 140, with QD scope mounts. I have one of these, and it has become my favorite double rifle under .400 cal. Habitually, this is the rifle I grab when heading out the door for deer bear, elk, moose or bear. It ain't bad for pot shooting varmints either. IMO, this is the best rifle for a guy who has never owned a double rifle, unless he is about to go on a DGR safari. The rifle chambered for the 9.3X74R is OK for DGR, but should only beused by some one with some experience with dangerous game bigger than the Cats! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
What is the price?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Have to ALMOST agree with MacD37. I have a new Merkel 141 in 8x57IRS that is basically the same rifle I suppose on a smaller frame. Mine has 22" barrels with a flourescent red front soght blade and the dovetail scope base is a blank but the rear base appears to be the same. Mine has single non-selective trigger and ejectors and a hogback stock.I will say that it is the nicest,handiest double I have ever owned. It even beats the 9.3x74r Chapuis I had. Price was even better $4000 new in box.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Mac, is there any way to get TWO triggers on one of those?

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of the Merkel 140 and 141's I have seen had two triggers.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hog Killer:
Mac, is there any way to get TWO triggers on one of those?

Keith

Keith, they come standard with two triggers. The single trigger is an option. It also comes with ejectors as well. Mine is the 140E, and is built on the 20 ga size frame, and weighs 8.3 poiunds. I don't know what the price is today, but I paid $4725 including shipping, and fitted Leather luggage case,for mine five yrs ago!

The new ones are the 141, and comes with single trigger option as well, but is standard with extractors, with ejectors as an option. It has fiber optic sights, and has shorter barrels, and weighs much less, and is built on a 28 ga size frame. the prices for the new one seems a lot lower at around $4K. I handled Brian1's at the DRSS shoot/hunt, and it is real nicely done up. Both are bargains, and both are well made, and servicable but I prefere the heavier of the two. However mine is chambered for 9.3X74R, and the extra weight dampens the recoil, and allows quicker recovery time for the second shot. beer

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where does one acquire one of these?

Thank,

WHM

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Try www.gsifirearms.com They may send you to a dealer that has some in stock! Others here may know of dealers in your area as well!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the model 141 has a list price of about $7,100

kebco had some at a super price of $4,600

the best comment i heard regarding the 141 (28 ga frame ) versus the 140 (20 ga frame ) was that the 141 sells itself.....

this is the current production model. model 140 are no longer made as far as i know.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 140 (20ga frame) is still being made for those that prefer a heavier frame. The 140 uses a wedge for regulation and the 141 is adjustable by the user. As far as I know the 141 is the only SXS that is easily re-regulated is the user changes loads.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

one of us
Picture of Marrakai
posted Hide Post
Kebco: Krieghoff SxS is adjustable too.

Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullsh!t stops!

Posts: 243 | Location: Darwin, Australia | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Baikal and Blazer are adjustable as well.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 24 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, learned something new today

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kebco:
The 140 (20ga frame) is still being made for those that prefer a heavier frame. The 140 uses a wedge for regulation and the 141 is adjustable by the user. As far as I know the 141 is the only SXS that is easily re-regulated is the user changes loads.

Kebco, are the barrels the same length on both?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 141's I have seen have barrels that are shorter by about 2" than the 140's. I have been told Merkel does offer the 141's with longer barrels but I have never seen one.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
My 141 is NOT adjustable for regulation. The barrels are soldered with wedge as normal. It is an 8x57IRS and is new from Merkel. Price was $4000. My dealer was offered 2 by Merkel.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe's 141 is the exception to the rule and the only 141 I have heard of the was not adjustable. That may be why it was much cheaper than most, you sure can not find a new Merkel for $4000 on a regular basis.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
All I can say is 2 were sold in Tucson for $3995 and MERKEL/GSI didn't seem to think it was unusual when I talked to them about mounts. I took it these were left over European market guns and not normally sold here.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who know, I have never seen that configuration in Europe and have never seen it cataloged.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC