New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would you do?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Cogswell and Harrison rechambered from 375 Express (proofed with 320gn load) to 375 Flanged Magnum. It is, for a Coggie, a fairly high grade with the receiver covered in engraving and has very nice wood in the stock.

It was off face when I bought it but is very well regulated and accurate.

Unfortunately, it fell off a gun rack and the stock broke at the wrist and has a rather messy but effective repair. The repair has been covered with leather.

I'm having it put back on face and toying with the idea of having it restocked (est cost $US2,000) and the barrels reblacked.

Is it worth investing this sort of money in a Coggie?

mike

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
You are actually the only one who can answer that question as it just boils down to personal opinion. I hear people say I can't upgrade my kitchen cause I wouldn't be able to recover my 'investment'. I feel about guns the same way I feel about cars,houses,or any other items I own. I bought my house to live in, my car to drive and my gun to use. For investments I chose to buy stocks and bonds. My first double was a Cogswell&Harrison 450/400 and I remember it well. I probably lost money on it. In fact I rarely make money on a gun when I sell or trade it. That isn't why I bought it in the first place. Please don't chastise me for not understanding this is just MY opinion which is what was requested.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Like zimhunter, I think if you are fixing the rifle up for yourself, then full steam ahead! If the repairs are done properly it may ihance it's value as well, but I
wouldn't count on a profit! Still it will sell better with everything fixed than it will broken, or with sloppy repares!
If you fix it, and it shoots well, enjoy it, and be happy! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Same as Mac and Zim, it is up to you, but if it were me I would!

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I kind of like the look of an antique looking rifle with some leather around the grip.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that kind of work should be able to be done cheaply in australia. do it and enjoy your rifle.

and quit with this "coggie" bullshit - use it's correct name or just refer to it as the rifle !

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a Cogswell and Harrison rechambered from 375 Express (proofed with 320gn load) to 375 Flanged Magnum. It is, for a Coggie, a fairly high grade with the receiver covered in engraving and has very nice wood in the stock.

I think you just explained why it was off face. Fixing it up and putting it back on face is only a temperary repair unless you start shooting lighter loads.

There are many 375 Flg. that used to be 375 Ex. around and none of them hold together for long.

It is a good rifle and worth fixing but you need to realize what it is and what it isn't.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
and quit with this "coggie" bullshit - use it's correct name or just refer to it as the rifle !

Sorry tomo577, adding "ie" at the end of an abbreviation is a sign of affection in Oz, barbie for barbeque, shotty for shotgun, some people (not including gunowners) even refer to our PM as "Johnnie".

regards,

mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey1:
quote:

I think you just explained why it was off face. Fixing it up and putting it back on face is only a temperary repair unless you start shooting lighter loads.

There are many 375 Flg. that used to be 375 Ex. around and none of them hold together for long.

It is a good rifle and worth fixing but you need to realize what it is and what it isn't.

The 320gn Express load had a working pressure of 1 ton lower than the 375 Flanged Mag, according to Wright's book but I think that the addition of a scope may have altered the regulation, causing it to shoot apart. he previous owner appears to have overcome this by increasing the loads. It may be ok with the scope removed.

I don't really need the rifle, I've got a 318 Double and a scoped 375H&H U/O.

I think I'll keep it for the moment, the stock fits me well, it has virtually no felt recoil and in rough conditions I don't have to worry about it.

Thanks for the input,

mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to part with it, send me some pics and a 'as is' price. I'm interested in a nice project.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AussieMike:
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:

Sorry tomo577, adding "ie" at the end of an abbreviation is a sign of affection in Oz, barbie for barbeque, shotty for shotgun, some people (not including gunowners) even refer to our PM as "Johnnie".

regards,

mike

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
AussieMike, Don't worry about Tom (tomo577), like me, he's an old crumgeon, and likes to say what he thinks! Wink He means no ill, and he is not the schoolroom monitor, or the rule maker, for how people are to talk on the forum! Just call your Coggie any thing you want, and when you sell it to Tom, he can call it what he likes! beer

Look out! ....IN COMING! sofa
jumping jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Cogswell & Harrison that I bought from JudgeG a year or so ago, still a .375 Express. If something happened that it needed $2,000. worth of repairs, believe me, I'd do it in a heartbeat because of the way it shoots and how pleasant it is to practice with. A great little double !

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1584 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Beller:
I have a Cogswell & Harrison that I bought from JudgeG a year or so ago, still a .375 Express. If something happened that it needed $2,000. worth of repairs, believe me, I'd do it in a heartbeat because of the way it shoots and how pleasant it is to practice with. A great little double !

Frank,

You're right about it being nice to shoot. The stock fits me well and recoil is very light. Plus shots from right and left barrels cut at 50 yards.

I'm starting to think of it as a rainy day sambar rifle.

mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Beller:

Is this the cart in question?

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No. What we are talking about is the .375 Flanged Nitro. 2.5" case.

As opposed to the .375 Flanged Magnum 2.94" case.

It's the terms being used that threw you off.

I think. Anyway that what I think we were taking about.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mickey1 is correct; I have the .375 2 1/2" N.E. It's as easy to shoot as a .303. Mine is also extremely accurate; another AR poster (Tom Kessel) says it's as accurate as any double he's seen.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1584 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Try Bill Swann. He tightened my 450/400 a treat. It was a beautiful job. He also did a little bit of resto work on the stock and really brought out the colour. He didn't charge me for the stock work as I only sent the rifle down for the action work, he just got a little carried away.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 40 Cordite, 320 grain loading of the .375 2 1/2" is called the .375 No. 2.

For restocking of British doubles in Oz, Ross Waghorn seems to be highly regarded.

The more money you get into it, the less likely that you'll get it all back when you want to sell. Although they're usually good, serviceable rifles, Coggies and Roddas have always been the unloved red-headed step-children of the British trade value wise. If you plan on keeping and using it, then go ahead and fix it.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote