THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    New barrels possible for Rigby
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New barrels possible for Rigby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I noticed that one of the double dealers had a hammerless 450-400 that noted the barrels had been replaced from BPE to Nitro at some point in it's history. It still weighed 8lbs 12 oz after the new barrels. Probably for balance purposes. My hammer Rigby is a 450-400 BPE (marked 400 EX) and comes in at 8lbs 13oz. Possible to have new barrels in Nitro or does that not seem cost effective. A two barrel gun, so to speak. Anyone crafting barrels in Nitro for a Jones underlever? Also, does anyone have any idea why my Rigby is marked "Class D" on the barrel flats and on the top rib next to the address? Can not find any references. Thought maybe it noted export or something like that.

Dutch

Hot lead...Hot steel...Hot damn...

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Come on 400 Nitro express, your knowledge is needed here!

Dutch44, many black powder rifles, and shotguns have had barrels made from modern steel, for NE rounds. As long as you don't go too big in the cartridge, so the foot print of the case rim stays small, and the case is small enough to allow pleanty of chamber wall, they work fine! The Jones Lever is the easist action to re-barrel and fit properly. One thing that needs to be done is to bush the foreing pins either with threaded disks, or large dovetailed plates made of some tough steel. This does two things, one is it allows the fireing pins to be small, and fit tight in their openings, and to give a tough surface for the reverse thurst of the NE cartridge.

Mark (400 NitroExpress) can most likely answer your question about the "Class D" on your rifle! There aren't many people, I know, who know more about the markings on Britt double rifles.

Good Shooting beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rigby's "Class D" was their plain, lower grade working gun. These were usually made for Rigby by others. In the case of the later hammerless nitros, they were boxlocks made by Webley. Usually no more than border engraved.

As to your first question, I don't think it would be economically viable.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MacD37 and 400 NE:
Thanks for the knowledgeble answers. My Rigby 450 3 1/4 has that dovetail plate you spoke of. Even though Class D denotes a lower grade gun they sure did a really nice job as it is so balanced. It is a back-action hammer gun and, although as you correctly pointed out, border engraved, it is extremely accurate. It does posses a push button fore-end unlike other Rigby's with the forearm latch which probably accounts for it being made by Webley or someone else. Just thought it might be possible to add nitro barrels but you are probably correct that it would not be economically feasable. Thanks again.

Dutch

Hot lead...Hot steel...Hot damn!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dutch:

Just curious - is the dovetailed plate dovetailed across the face of the action? Can you faintly see the profile of the dovetail on the sides of the fences?

A "Class D" Rigby may lack the embellishment of a "best" gun, but there wasn't anything cheap or low-quality about it. It's an excellent quality gun, finished plain. I'm not surprised that it handles well.
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
400 NE
On the Nitro 450 3 1/4 the dovetail is all the way across the face and into the fences and you can see it. Not so on the 450-400 BPE where there is no dovetailed plate.

I just talked to a fellow DG enthusiast who was at Las Vegas when I bought the little Rigby and thought about grabbing it. Seems everyone that saw it had the same opinion in that it was a super gun at a super price.

I want to pull the trigger on a 450-400 Searcy but just keep holding out for an English gun. I like Butch's rifles but...tradition, I guess.

Dutch

Hot lead...Hot steel...Hot damn!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:

As to your first question, I don't think it would be economically viable.
."

Dutch44, I agree with 400 on the cost of such re-barreling, but only if you have to have someone else do the work! If you can do the work yourself, then it is quite economical. The cost to have the barrels made, and fitted by a good double rifle smith would cost as much as it would to buy another double rifle, in many cases! makeing a new barrel set is the way to go if you did it, as this would leave the origenal barrels un-changed for collector value.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MacD37:
Thanks. After everyones input I've abandoned the idea of new barrels and will wait till another rifle presents itself. Unfortunately, I am not mechanically inclined so I will likewise abandon that endeavor. Thanks to all

Dutch