THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    +.400 DR Plainsgame kills, please!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

+.400 DR Plainsgame kills, please!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
G'day my fellow impractical, ridiculously-sentimental double-riflemen! I am hoping some of you can inspire me by posting pictures of plainsgame you knocked for six with your big doubles, in order to help fuel my insanity. Obviously I have used my double .500NE over here to good effect so-far, on wild dogs and pigs of all sizes, in addition to the buffalo it is created for. So, knowing that it works on pigs, I imagine that, in the right stalking country, it'll work on vlakvark in Africa; and, since it is just a matter of time before mine knocks-over a feral donkey, I imagine that if I can just get to seventy metres from a zebra (perhaps in the Limpopo region?), it'll work in that application, too. Nobody ever accused me of being smart, but I do like having fun with my big double! tu2 Cheers, Ben

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post

Some fun with the 470NE
Under good conditions, up to 80m off hand should not be a problem.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Adam! Is that a duiker? What kind? I'm not real good at knowing the difference between those and dik-dik or steenbok, etc.

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good work but that turkey is a bit scrawny. To me, a duiker, dik dik and steenbock are all the same but I don't know the difference if there is any. I do recognize pigs, living in Iowa where pigs vastly outnumber people and are generally much nicer to boot.

Posts: 17179 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BenKK:
Thank you, Adam! Is that a duiker? What kind? I'm not real good at knowing the difference between those and dik-dik or steenbok, etc.

Kliffhanger a/k/a Klipspringer.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd

That "turkey"is a wood duck !!!

Adam
I can't believe you shot a Wood Duck with
a big bore double rifle !!! LOL

I've used .222, .243 and 22.250 but not
a big bore !

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Here you go.
Warty with 470NE loaded with 400 grain speer gold dot, ~ 40M side on.

Zebra with 470 NE 500 woodleigh, ~ 45M quartering away.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From memory off of the top of my head, with my 450/400 3 1/4" I have taken the following animals:
Several skunks and armidillos, deer, several wild pigs, black bear, 2 caribou, warthog, zebra, several baboons, 2 cape buff [the wife one as well], a bull elephant and a lion.

With my 450 No2 double rifle, I have taken:
Several skunks and armidillos, 2 squirrels [head shots, they went to the skillet], 3 coyotes, several deer, several wild pigs, wildbeast, eland, baboons, several cape buff and several elephants.

I do not have enough time to type all the different game I have taken with a 9,3x74R double rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
BenKK:
I don't know how to post pics here. Damn. With my .450-400 Harrison and Hussey boxlock ejector (1920) I have taken (from memory) lion, leopard, hippo, croc, sable, warthog, buffalo, caribou, whitetail, and three poacher's dogs.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
... and three poacher's dogs.
shocker

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, fellows. Cal, I'll send you a PM with my e-mail address if you want to send me some pictures to post up.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Better yet!

Why doesn't the Ozzie teacher teach the Sourdough teacher!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, Cal promised he's going to learn how to do it himself! tu2

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a duck with a pointed bill in the middle of a field, but ok, if you say so; all ducks look the same to me. I know there are red headed and green headed ones and they fly through here all the time, being on the Mississippi River. Plenty of geese and eagles too (I do know what those two look like). And I did take a class in wildlife biology but have forgot all of it. Forty years will do that to your brain; beware young people. Oh, yeah, I have killed a bunch of stuff with my 450-400; none of it DG.

Posts: 17179 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd

They are a weird thing (the Wood duck).

Often stand around on the edge of farm dams,
eating grass. Almost like a small version of
a Canada Goose.

And they crap everywhere !!!

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blackie at 218 yards with a Searcy .470 field grade South Africa.