Find
Notify
Tools

Dead Tough Softs in a DR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted
I heard that the A-Square solids shouldn't be used in doubles due to composition. Any issues using the Dead Tough softs? Last thing I want to do is prematurely wear a barrel out.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They're load core bullets, so I don't think that would be any more of an issue than Woodleighs, A-Frames, etc. .

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
No problems on Deadtoughs. THey are excellet cup and core bonded bullets. I do not think they are being produced right now. I think you might be thinking of the Monolithic solids. Well that is another subject all together.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not think they are being produced right now

With the ongoing A-Square auction, there is a chance to pick some up..that's why I was wondering.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are very good bullets and safe in any gun within reason of course..but I think they are moribound as we speak.

The issue was never with Dead Toughs as far as I know, but with monolithic solids. Myth or fact? I never had any trouble with GS custom or Northforks in a double rifle, and none with Barnes in a bolt rifle, never shot Barnes in a double, but more than a few of my clients shot them in doubles, apparantly without problems.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
18 pages of education concerning bullets and double rifles found here:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...201069141#1201069141

Bottom line is that the manufacturers are using the 2nd and 3rd highest barrel strain producing bullets to regulate their rifles with (Hornaday DGS and DGX). The Woodleigh FMJ being the bullet that produces the highest barrel strains.

If the manufacturers are using Hornady to regulate with, the A-Square should be just fine. Early on, I was warned against shooting the Barnes TSX in my doubles. I've shot a couple of thousand in them at this point and have yet to have the rifling spit out the end. Not expecting it to happen anytime soon either.

One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply Todd. I have been using both the DGS and DGX and have looked at getting away from them. My recent purchase of A-Square's Dead Tough softs is a start to that. I just didn't see much within the forum when searching for them.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE