THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    New to me Merkel 470 NE; notes.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to me Merkel 470 NE; notes.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted
I recently purchased a Merkel in 470 NE from our own 757arms Carl's double rifle sale
I was very pleased with Carl's communication regarding the sale and his promptness of service, especially given the season, where he actually got the rifle in the mail on Christmas Eve.

This is my second DR, my second Merkel, and my 2nd 470 NE. A few notes:
- Merkel changed from the square front site and notch rear sight to a traditional bead front sight and shallow vee rear sight; supplemental longer range flip-up rear sights have deep notches.
- Merkel added a recoil pad. I'll likely replace it, but it took the sting out.
- Merkel added a spot at the rear of the rib for an optical sight...which I may use as the front bead is a bit blurry.

I shot the rifle and it's clear I'm out of practice and, perhaps, am nestling the front bead too deep into the rear vee sight.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I wish I had your worries, Matt!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Matt shoot at 12yds six oclock hold at a big black bull at least 4 inch . From a rest build up and sit up straight. resting elbows only Death grips remember how I held it.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Badger Matt:
I recently purchased a Merkel in 470 NE I shot the rifle and it's clear I'm out of practice and, perhaps, am nestling the front bead too deep into the rear vee sight.

Badger, I have two Merkel double rifles, and the sights are cut to be used like the sights on a handgun. This is with the top of the front sight level with the top of the back sight with equal amount of light on each side of the front blade, with the six O:clock hold on the target at the distance engraved on the standing rear sight.

Todd also found this with his Merkel 500NE double. The newer standing rear sight with the wide "V" makes this a little difficult, but with a little practice you will get it down pat.

................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Badger, I have two Merkel double rifles, and the sights are cut to be used like the sights on a handgun. This is with the top of the front sight level with the top of the back sight with equal amount of light on each side of the front blade, with the six O:clock hold on the target at the distance engraved on the standing rear sight. Todd also found this with his Merkel 500NE double. The newer standing rear sight with the wide "V" makes this a little difficult, but with a little practice you will get it down pat.

Mac - You nailed it. My previous Merkel had "pistol sights" in my kind. I didn't realize they actually intended a similar hold with their express sights, but I tried same Saturday and the gun's spot-on! Just need a hundred rounds or so to get up-to-speed. Thanks.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mac - You nailed it. My previous Merkel had "pistol sights" in my kind. I didn't realize they actually intended a similar hold with their express sights, but I tried same Saturday and the gun's spot-on! Just need a hundred rounds or so to get up-to-speed. Thanks.

....................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
spot at the rear of the rib for an optical sight...which I may use as the front bead is a bit blurry.

They work wonders for "old" eyes

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Badger, I have two Merkel double rifles, and the sights are cut to be used like the sights on a handgun. This is with the top of the front sight level with the top of the back sight with equal amount of light on each side of the front blade, with the six O:clock hold on the target at the distance engraved on the standing rear sight. Todd also found this with his Merkel 500NE double. The newer standing rear sight with the wide "V" makes this a little difficult, but with a little practice you will get it down pat.

Great News! dancing tu2 dancing

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote