THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Well MacD37 what do you think?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well MacD37 what do you think?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
You probably know about this but I thought it would make a nice discussion piece. A more toned down version is avaiable, hit the "Express Rifle" option up top.

P.S. I can't buy one yet, I've too many projects of rifles and other things to get one. I'm simply trying to continue my education on doubles. This way when my time is right I know exactly what to buy AND most importantly why.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I've always liked anything made by Beretta, and their double rifles are no exception! The 455EEL is a top of the line rifle, even with out the engraveing. Aslo the O/U double rifle is a real nicely put together rifle, if you are thinking that dirrection.

For my money the 455EEL is a little out of my price range, as Berette's S/S doubles start at around $20K for the field grade. If the price for the 455EEL suits your budgit, then I don't think you will be unhappy with it! I think you need to look closely at Heym, in grades up to the price you are willing to pay, before makeing up your mind, if you are buying OFF THE SHELF double rifles, with a few up grades. The Merkel upper grades are also in the $20K range as well. Butch Searcy's Classic is another option, if you want something made to fit, at a much better price I might add.

With the 455EEL, they list only 375 H&H, 416 Rigby,458 Win Mag, 470NE, and 500NE. IMO, the only chamberings that is suited to double rifles is the 470NE and 500NE. I'm not saying the others are bad cartridges, but they are rimless, or belted rimless, and are fine in a bolt rifle, but not, IMO, a double rifle!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mac! HOLY CRAP!! 20K just to start! Too much for me, I see Butch starts a 470NE at around 11K, that I can say without losing my breath.
I agree bolt rifle carts should remain that way.
The 2 chamberings that I'm really wanting are the 9.3x74R & the 500NE. I think they make a good combo, what do you think?

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
My go to Africa pair is a Merkel 140E, 9.3X74R, and a 140-2 Merkel Safari 470NE. I was looking for the 140-2 safari chambered for 500NE, but found the 470NE for a price I couldn't pass.

I think any of the NE rounds from 450/400NE up to 500NE are fine for the large chambering, and if the light rifle is to be a double rifle, the 9.3X74R is a hard one to beat! The Searcy Classic chambered for 500NE is a very usefull double, for a world wide big rifle, and IMO, the price is right!.

I think your combination of a 9.3X74R, double rifle, especially if scoped with QD rings and bases, and a Searcy 470NE or 500NE is a great pair! beer

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac
If the "Other Rounds" Function in the Double and Perform on Game as intended what negative consequence has occurred to the Nimrod..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akrange:
Mac
If the "Other Rounds" Function in the Double and Perform on Game as intended what negative consequence has occurred to the Nimrod..
AK

AKRANGE, the key word is "IF"! The reason they are not suited to double rifles is macahnical, not nostalgic, or simply personal choice! This is a mistake a lot of people make when a particular feature of any firearm is critacized! Next comes the phrase, "I'VE BEEN USEING THAT FOR 180 yrs with out anything going wrong!..........." That fact changes nothing in regard to which is best!

The fact is, some things are simply better than others, and this happens to be the case with double rifles, being better when chambered for rimmed, low pressure cartridges, rather than a rimless, or belted rimless, high pressure cartridge! Simply because both types can fail, has nothing to do with one being more PRONE to fail that the other! The same goes for a single trigger on a double rifle, used for dangerous game. Because both double triggers, and single triggers CAN fail, but which of these two types will put the whole rifle out of service "IF" it fails? You, and I both know that will be the single trigger system. The double trigger, at least leaves you with a single shot! Which would you rather have in your hands with a broken trigger, and a Brown bear, or cape buffalo bearing down on you?

The small palls made so rimless cartridges can be extracted are prone to breakage, and are quite suseptable to dust locking them in the down position. Those two things combined with the very high pressures these cartridges produce, is a formula failed extraction! This same design is sometime the cause of cartridges, loded quickly, slideing into the chambers forward of the palls, and when the rifle is close quickly, the tiny palls are broken off.

None of these things matter much when hunting deer! If anything happens to put your rifle out of service, nothing is lost more important than a shot at a deer, that is not the case when standing in front of a bite-back!

The whole idea for a well designed DGR, is that every item that can go wrong is confronted, by selecting the best, and most reliable features available to you! Anything less is not sane thinking, IMO! beer

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac
Thanks ..It was asked..Answered..I have learned..I have a better understanding..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MAC D ..... OBJECTION !

your comments on single triggers are completely unfounded. messrs Westley Richards have been offering perfect, flawless single triggers for ages & ages !

remember young jimmy sutherland the elephant hunter? well he had not one, but a pair of Westley 577 with single triggers and they never let him down.and in their droplock action what could be more reliable and sound !

that old saw about double triggers only rings as true as the "no ejectors". this is outdated thinking due to the utter reliability of first class makers products. NB these comments do not apply to products of less than top shelf, first
class. no spartans , cz or made from home in italy with loving hands need apply!

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
MAC D ..... OBJECTION !

well he had not one, but a pair of Westley 577 with single triggers and they never let him down.and in their droplock action what could be more reliable and sound !

!

What could be more reliable, and sound?
A pair of Westley Richards 577NE droplocks actions with TWO triggers!
jumping jumping

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith