Notify
Tools

9,3x74R - update post range
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

I couldn't resist .....

Belgium made, 9,3x74R. Classic European.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rounded action, (looks like) articulated front trigger, POW grip, versatile caliber, probably weighs 9lb ... what's not to like?

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

And ejectors!

Needs a new pad and she'll be ready for a driven boar hunt in November in Germany!

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful rifle. You are a lucky person, indeed.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Lovely rifle, looks about perfect to me!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's purty!!!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1116 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle, I think africa is calling her.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I couldn't resist .....

That was an intelligence test, you passed. Let us know how it shoots.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
wildmansix

quote:
Nice rifle, I think africa is calling her.

I'm thinking as a first driven wild boar and red deer in Europe in November / December. A booked State Forest hunt in Germany.

Only downer is it must be lead free ammo on State Forestry shoots.

I'll certainly post results !

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Well I got in some range time with my new 'love' yesterday. First time. Testing with 285 grain S&B factory softs. Not a top quality ammo I give you that but adequate for initial range tests.

50m - 2 x 2 rounds without any adjustments, height perfect but R1/L1 and R2/L2 approx 21 cm apart.

25m - 2 x 2 rounds R3/L3 and R4/L4 at 6 - 7 cm apart

100m - 2 x 2 rounds R5/L5 and R6/L6 at 24 cm apart

She has a bit of a kick to her but no worse than a .375 H&H. Easy enough to manage. Will put a new pad on her.

The gunsmith old Mr Schmithuesen Snr was there and did a quick appraisal. 1960s Belgian on a 20 action, Liege proofed but possibly a Ferlach build, lots of nice work.

Not being a reloader (yet), I am trying to find out what the previous owner was shooting in her and then I will reach for the same or failing that try various factory ammos and see if I can find something that she digests well.

Has the potential to become a dangerous game Africa rifle and displace the .375 for a while. We will see Wink

Charlie

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How did you go finding a regulation load for this one?

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Also, what about the lead free loads? I don’t reload, either.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

Well I got in some range time with my new 'love' yesterday. First time. Testing with 285 grain S&B factory softs. Not a top quality ammo I give you that but adequate for initial range tests.

50m - 2 x 2 rounds without any adjustments, height perfect but R1/L1 and R2/L2 approx 21 cm apart.

25m - 2 x 2 rounds R3/L3 and R4/L4 at 6 - 7 cm apart

100m - 2 x 2 rounds R5/L5 and R6/L6 at 24 cm apart

She has a bit of a kick to her but no worse than a .375 H&H. Easy enough to manage. Will put a new pad on her.

The gunsmith old Mr Schmithuesen Snr was there and did a quick appraisal. 1960s Belgian on a 20 action, Liege proofed but possibly a Ferlach build, lots of nice work.

Not being a reloader (yet), I am trying to find out what the previous owner was shooting in her and then I will reach for the same or failing that try various factory ammos and see if I can find something that she digests well.

Has the potential to become a dangerous game Africa rifle and displace the .375 for a while. We will see Wink

Charlie

I used my double 9.3x74R double to replace my 375 "light" rifle on several safaris. It works wonders for that purpose, even taking a Zim male lion in 2012. Fine choice you've made there.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of 9.3X74mm double rifles, and I see nothing wrong with them for most game with proper shot placement, on just about anything short of Elephant. They are not stoppers, that is a fact, but with careful shot placement especially on cats over bait they are hard to beat. Even cape buffalo for a standing broad side shot for a heart/lung shot.
In my opinion the 9.3X74mm gets an undeserved rep by some hunters, and game law makers.

...…………….........……….. old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
I have a couple of 9.3X74mm double rifles, and I see nothing wrong with them for most game with proper shot placement, on just about anything short of Elephant. They are not stoppers, that is a fact, but with careful shot placement especially on cats over bait they are hard to beat. Even cape buffalo for a standing broad side shot for a heart/lung shot.
In my opinion the 9.3X74mm gets an undeserved rep by some hunters, and game law makers.

...…………….........……….. old MacD37

It's definitely a Boar stopper Mac.

I've had no experience on dangerous game but I remember reading a hunt report by a poster on here, 450 NE No2, took his little 9.3 double to Africa and compared it favourably with his larger doubles. A frontal chest shot on a big buff with a 285gr Woodley soft, the buff went 5 yards and put his legs in the air. That impressed the hell out of me.

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

When everything is back to normal (as it hopefully will be one day soon) I am looking forward to taking this one to Africa too !

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

When everything is back to normal (as it hopefully will be one day soon) I am looking forward to taking this one to Africa too !

By the way Charlie64, That is a beautiful little double. You are justified in loving that light, and well appointed double rifle. I wish it was mine!
……...……………….. tu2 tu2 tu2 oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote