New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis Round Action???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone heard anything about a new round action being produced by Chapuis? A pal of mine told me a friend of his just purchased a 9.3x74 with an extra set of 20 gauge barrels in a round action cased for $15K. It is supposed to be their first commercial one for sale. Unfortunately the buyer just left for SA so I can't get any further info for about 3 weeks.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
This the one?

http://www.chapuis-armes.com/RGEX-Artisan,69.html#

RGEX Artisan.
Hand-carved and sculpted receiver to the new round action design – Hand made engraving with one game scene “Al bulino†engraved and medium relief floral ornaments going all around the receiver and signed by a Master Engraver.
600mm/24 in. barrels (550mm/22 in. upon request) with double parallel lumps breeching system. Blitz-type double trigger battery.
Integral quarter rib machined to accept telescopic sight mount bases,
patented adjustable luminescent reticle rear sight, height-adjustable front
sight. Pistol-grip stock with german cheekpiece of circassian walnut in AAAAA fancy grade.

Lengthened, bordered hand engraved trigger bow, engraved skeleton steel pistol grip cap and buttplate fitted over walnut spacers. Sling eyes and swivels fitted upon request. Shipped with barrel regulation target, in a trunk-type fabric-covered fitted case with Chapuis Armes logo.

Don't know anything about it, myself. Looks nice though.

Quick search led me to William Larkin's site where the "ARTISAN EXPRESS" is listed at U.S. $11200. Not sure if this is the same one.

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve: That has to be it. It looks lovely! I didn't know they made a round action. Learn something new every day!!!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Here's one at William Larkin Moore:

CHAPUIS CHAPUIS, SXS, Round Body Rifle/Shotgun combo two barrel set, 9.3x74r / 20ga 3, 25'' & 28, choke tubes in shotgun bbls, DT, Capped Pistol Grip with long guard, Semi Beaver Tail Forearm, 1/4 rib with express sights on rifle bbls, Smooth Concave Rib on shotgun bbls, Ornamental Scroll Engraving with cameo game scene on bottom, Coin Finish Receiver, Upgraded Wood, Makers Case w/Label, NEW
$16500

Looks pretty nice. Tempting...

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I just wish they would change that forend.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
I just wish they would change that forend.

I was thinking the same -- lovely rifle but the fore end is not my cup of tea.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'd much prefer a splinter forend that offers little grip and doesn't stand in the way of the barrels burning the crap out of your fingers! Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
It's all about the look! beer

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two "Chapuis", two brothers who used to work together, had a fight and now one of them markets his guns under the brand "Chapuis Artisan" with a bespoke look while the other sticks to the machine made stuff.

Big Grin Steve, for a minute I thought a bug had crept under my screen !!!

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
What a stunning looking rifle!!

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, I'd much prefer a splinter forend that offers little grip and doesn't stand in the way of the barrels burning the crap out of your fingers!

Wuzz.

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
quote:
Yeah, I'd much prefer a splinter forend that offers little grip and doesn't stand in the way of the barrels burning the crap out of your fingers!

Wuzz.

I guess some guys need a different fore end to accommodate their limp wrists.... Big Grin

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Okay, post a picture of you grabbing the red hot burner on your electric stove! Wuzz! Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Don't tempt him. Rumor has it he once ran with scissors Eeker

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay, post a picture of you grabbing the red hot burner on your electric stove! Wuzz!

moon

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
$16,500 OUCH!!!

Wonder if it has a hollowed out buttstock like they put on most of the smaller caliber guns? Screws up the balance and sounds like plastic when thumped.

Corbin

Posts: 244 | Location: USA | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
$16,500 OUCH!!!

Wonder if it has a hollowed out buttstock like they put on most of the smaller caliber guns? Screws up the balance and sounds like plastic when thumped.

Corbin

CS,

What's the ouch for?

Take a close look at that wood and then take a closer look at the wood on any of the other makers in this price range. Add to that 20 gauge barrels complete with another fore end and then add to that some pretty damn'd good looking engraving compared to the norm (again, in this price range) and you easily have a gun that will top over 15K.

Would I buy it, no, as I already have a nice little "Chap" bought from a member of this forum...And, I won't be selling it anytime soon as I really think these guns are great and worth every penny....So what if they're made in France....Excellent values for the money!

One of Us
Picture of Mark Baker
posted Hide Post
I have always thought these rifles could look better.

The butt stock always has a radical curve to the grip and in general too European, if not too "French". The stock looks clubby and the cheekpiece is never to my taste.

If that's your thing, that's cool, but I just can't stand the looks.

I wish they would have a stocker from England, or at least someone with a keen eye to have an English stock available. This would trim down the looks and also improve handling.

Oh well, what the "F" do I know!

Mark

Posts: 51 | Location: N.W. Wisconsin | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one doesn't expect to buy an "english " double rifle made in france.

you get a french double rifle from france.

but there is plenty of wood on the stock and forearm that you can reshape it to the english look you want.

and you can't beat the price compared to any new english double rifle.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that there is a LOT of value there.

I broker quite a bit of wood and that blank, though not "exceptional" would cost you over 2k to buy.

The "rock-bottom" prices on "new" English doubles is at about 50K US before importation and FET costs are applied (read 60+K).

So, in conclusion, here's a really good looking albeit "French styled" rifle that will be mechanically on par with the English guns at a fraction of the cost.

IMHO,

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wemmer:
...that will be mechanically on par with the English guns

animal ...now let's not get carried away.

Ok, so it's a nicely finished Chapuis. Good, solid, functional rifles, given the expected sacrifices made to hit a price point, with a poorly designed stock (no, it isn't just "style"). Overall, the basic Chapuis small and medium bore models are an exceptional value for the money (not so the larger bores).

Does the extra finish make this piece worth almost triple the price of the basic gun? I think that's a stretch. It certainly wouldn't be to me. It's an extra finish, entry level DR with entry level quality, at a price that may or may not be commensurate with what it is. It will never be anything more.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
FWIW,

We would be charged a little less than what you are paying for the round action as a retail price for the basic Chapuis Double.

If I remember correctly I was quoted best part of $12k for a regular Chapuis 375H+H a while ago.

I dread to imagine the price they would charge for the round action here.

Rgds,
FB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
quote:

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff....

How could you say such a thing? Don't you realize that the reason for the lack of proper dentistry in England is due to the fact that those prospective funds are diverted the double rifle industry?

Ever try to drink a cup of tea with a double on your shoulder using you right hand with a (gasp) continental double rifle? You CAN'T do it because of the stock design.

And where the residual oil from handling tasty crumpets will ruin the stock finish and eat up the barrels of a continental double, it actually helps in the preservative effect of a British double.

Further, don't even try to get to the hanky sticking out of your left sleeve cuff when using a beaver tail or schnabel fore end. Think about it.

Man, oh, man. What WERE you thinking?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
quote:

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff....

How could you say such a thing? Don't you realize that the reason for the lack of proper dentistry in England is due to the fact that those prospective funds are diverted the double rifle industry?

Ever try to drink a cup of tea with a double on your shoulder using you right hand with a (gasp) continental double rifle? You CAN'T do it because of the stock design.

And where the residual oil from handling tasty crumpets will ruin the stock finish and eat up the barrels of a continental double, it actually helps in the preservative effect of a British double.

Further, don't even try to get to the hanky sticking out of your left sleeve cuff when using a beaver tail or schnabel fore end. Think about it.

Man, oh, man. What WERE you thinking?

Jim,

Of course.... You couldn't ask Jeeves to carry the continental for you during elevensies.... what would the others think??

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jim,

Of course.... You couldn't ask Jeeves to carry the continental for you during elevensies.... what would the others think??

Eeker Eeker Eeker Eeker Eeker Eeker Eeker

So right. Why, that would positively knot their knickers. And definitely take the cheerio out of their breakfast... Wink

And all that practical knowledge I have gleaned about British double rifles I learned from 400 Nitro Express! thumb Bet's he's watched those Austin Powers movies, what, at least 30 times?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Phhhhhhhh! Wink I like the little thing....AND, I'll bet you it shoots spot-on...

...But, you do have a point about it not being a "proper" English gun, but hey, It's not trying to be!

I'm no "Francophile" ,but didn't the French have a very important role in the development of modern firearms?!

This is a cool little rifle / shotgun combo set that will shoot, if my little 9.3 Chap. is any indicator of what they can build.

I have a ton of English doubles and unabashedly LOVE them...

..BUT, what about the guys that don't want to spend well north of 20k for a so-so English doubble? They could have a tack-driver with a little "panache" thrown in....this is a viable candidate.

Again, At The End Of The Day, this gun will shoot and shoot well (and very comfortably given its ergonomics).

It won't be there very long.

BTW - I like the "ribbing"...It's all good beer

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm no "Francophile" ,but didn't the French have a very important role in the development of modern firearms?!

Why, yes they did. They came up with the concept of shock proof rifles, so they would still work after they were dropped.....

I take my share of ribbing for my German double. By the way, the leiderhosen are an upgrade option.

That is a nice looking rifle.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why, yes they did. They came up with the concept of shock proof rifles, so they would still work after they were dropped.....

Good one!!! thumb

Yeah, I take my share of "ribbing" as well defending the French guns of which I happen to like.

So be it....Glad you guys have the decency to kepp yet another thread "civilized".

Hope all is well and good in your world,
JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
QUESTION : who here really knows what a true "round action " is ?

it is -not - a conventional anson & deeley action with the bottom "rounded"

my understanding is it is a trigger plate action.... like dickson makes and the germans use on drillings

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reading the new Chapuis Catalogue, and looking at pictures of the round action, it appears to me that the changes were to the outside only.

I could be wrong, but that is how it looks.

Chapuis is still showing their standard models, now called the Classic.

Chapuis has always offered higher grade guns, differing in wood and engraving.

I have seen and handled many of their High Grade guns and they are nice.

Lets just hope they continue to make the standard guns that are affordable for the regular hunter.

I have 2 British doubles and a Chapuis 9,3x74R.

While the Chapuis is not British, it has been an excellent hunting rifle. It is very accurate, has always worked 100%, and is light weight and handles well.

I have shot 4 different 470,s and one 375 H&H, all were very accurate.

I would not hesitate to hunt with a big bore Chapuis.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
QUESTION : who here really knows what a true "round action " is ?

I believe that back in the 1890s "Dickson" made the first of the truly rounded actions which by being a "Trigger plate" design lends to the rounded profile.

JW