THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Heaviest light caliber (9.3 or 375 flanged) double rifle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heaviest light caliber (9.3 or 375 flanged) double rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I tore up my shoulder pretty badly (pec and bicept tendons have never been able to set right) when I lifted for Texas A&M. As such, I'm quite recoil sensitive. I have a 375 H&H #1, with a limbsaver, that I can shoot a couple times while standing, but that I can't handle in any other position (at least not without starting to flinch.)

How much do the Chapuis weigh? Merkels?

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Chapuis 9,3 weighs 7 1/4lbs without the scope. the Merkel and the Krieghoff and the Blaser are heavier.

Even my Chapuis has less recoil than the 375 H&H, well any 375 that I have shot.
The 9,3 double is a great hunting rifle.
I prefer it to a 375 bolt for all hunting, except maybe bad weather Alaska hunting, where a "plastic" 375 is hard to beat.

PS, I like Ruger No1's a lot too.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
I have a Krieghoff Classic Big Five that was originally made with the 500/416 barrels only.

I added the 9.3x74R set to it so it's a bit on the heavy side for a 9.3.

Shoots very well and accurately. No more recoil than a standard .30-06 load in a normal hunting rifle. Even balances very well when wearing it's 1.5-6 S&B scope. A bit heavy in the rear without, but still swings nicely in either configuration.

I agree, the 9.3x74R is a VERY great hunting rifle. I've used it in the US for deer and Africa for several species of PG. Looking forward to further hunting with it.

The Classic non-large bore (not Big Five) is more along the weight of the Merkel.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 681 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
Aglifter,
Why not buy the gun of your liking and add a 14oz Breako recoil absorber. You get the best of both worlds. The gun you want, 14 oz of added wieght and a recoil absorbing system all in one.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Some of these guys look askance at the Valmet. But if you need some recoil absorbing weight check out the 412, 512, Finnlight classic. In 9.3 the recoil was quite mild with 285 gr Prvi Rn at medium velocity. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
recoil is a very personal thing

no one should get hit hard by a 9,3 ever.

there are many recoil absorbing products that can be used to dampen recoil to where it is barely able to be felt.

the 9,3 is a real pussycat to shoot

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aglifter

If you have never tried a recoil pad like a PAST, you ought to look into one.

I was skeptical until I bought one. Tough to imagine how that relatively thin pad was going to make a difference. It does - a big difference.

I use it for load development with the 470. Without the pad, I was looking at several trips to the range for that work.

Heck, you could also probably sewn it into a shirt or jacket if the straps bother you.

IF you are in the Dallas area, let me know and you can try mine out at the range. And since you're an Aggie, I'll even show you which end of the rifle points down range Wink

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We Aggies may have our struggles, but when it comes to firearms, beer, or creating genetically manipulated monsters (dbl major biochem and genetics.) we can't be beat...
I've used those pads in the past. The one I use currently, while shooting, is far better -- it's basically built like a chunk of a shoulder pad from football -- piece of padded lexan that slips into a leather pouch. If anyone's interested, I'll look up the contact info. Works amazingly well, I can shoot, and not feel a thing. But, not really practical to wear while hunting.

My real problem might be fit -- what I think really happens is if the messed up tendons get hit, then I'm hurting pretty good, but if the stock doesn't touch them, then I don't mind the recoil -- would explain why those Past pads, and limbsavers helped, but not nearly as much as that hard pad...of course, the hard pad also would greatly reduce the pressure on the shoulder, so that might be it as well.

I've started doing some PNF work, etc w. them, so hopefully that will help. I just need to find someone that I can get regular appointments with.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know what you're talking about - I am dealing with an ACL in my right knee that is taking forever to heal and is still pretty "worked up". Hurts just to touch it.

Sounds like you need to look for the heaviest rifle you can find in the caliber (I don't think the weight will be an issue with you).

If you already have a rifle, they can add weight to the stock (but with an existing double it could impact regulation).

If you're ordering a new rifle, they can make it with added weight and get it to both balance and regulate at that weight.

If I come across anything new in terms of a device woorn on the shoulder, I'll give you a shout.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
We Aggies may have our struggles, but when it comes to firearms, beer, or creating genetically manipulated monsters (dbl major biochem and genetics.) we can't be beat...
I've used those pads in the past. The one I use currently, while shooting, is far better -- it's basically built like a chunk of a shoulder pad from football -- piece of padded lexan that slips into a leather pouch. If anyone's interested, I'll look up the contact info. Works amazingly well, I can shoot, and not feel a thing. But, not really practical to wear while hunting.

My real problem might be fit -- what I think really happens is if the messed up tendons get hit, then I'm hurting pretty good, but if the stock doesn't touch them, then I don't mind the recoil -- would explain why those Past pads, and limbsavers helped, but not nearly as much as that hard pad...of course, the hard pad also would greatly reduce the pressure on the shoulder, so that might be it as well.

I've started doing some PNF work, etc w. them, so hopefully that will help. I just need to find someone that I can get regular appointments with.

Perhaps if the problem with your solid pad is fit, you can adjust the gun so it fits using the solid pad.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I knew I saw this somewhere before:

http://www.superiorshooting.com/

Is has a hard "shell" that sounds right for your situation. I haven't used one, but this looks like it has promise.

Good luck.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It does. That's the hard shell pad I have. Works wonders. I've been thinking about trying to have him make a smaller version to use for hunting, but I'm still hoping I'll be able to find a heavier caliber gun I can use w.o. one.