THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Shot the Merkel 141E This weekend
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shot the Merkel 141E This weekend
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted
dancingBoy, did I have fun this weekend:

My wife and I went up to the cabin this past weekend for four days and I took the new Merkel along with eight rounds loaded up.

Since I did not have a load worked up for the rifle with the 232 grain Norma Vulcans, I grabbed what was loaded; which was eight rounds with a 250 grain Nosler Accubond.

All eight rounds had 56.5 grains of IMR 4064 powder but four rounds were with WLR primers and the other four were WLR Magnum primers.

Since this was not the factory load I was not expecting much. I just wanted to try the rifle for fit, face pounding, felt recoil, etc. Ok, I just wanted to shoot the gun.

I set up two targets at 50 metres, went back to my standing rest and fired rounds off two at a time; right barrel, right target, left barrel, left target, six to eight seconds apart.

The group with the rounds using WLR primers were 3.5 inches vertical by 1.5 inches horizontal. The group with the WLR Magnum primers were 2.5 inches vertical by .5 inches horizontal. I would say not bad for a cartridge with the wrong projectile weight and a random load of powder and primer. I can't wait to see what it will do with the proper load.

I found the front blade sight to be a bit too wide for my taste and I will scope the rifle, as there is one dove tail already cut in the rifle.

Recoil is what I would consider stout however, there was no jarring cheek-slap. The front of my gun jumped out of my hand. To hang on to the rifle, I will have to grip the barrels because the forearm is so slender. I will have a recoil pad installed in place of the plastic butt plate.

Overall, I am in love. She is a keeper. I can hardly wait to take her deer and moose hunting this year.

As I want to mount a scope on the rifle, most likely a Leupold 1-4x20, what kind of a quick detachable scope mount would be available for this rifle? I am a bit confused as to only one dove-tail being cut into the rear of the gun. Is one supposed to remove the rear sight and use that as the second dove-tail or is there a scope mount made to attach to only one dovetail?

As always, comments, questions and criticisms always welcome.

Regards,

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
. The front of my gun jumped out of my hand. To hang on to the rifle, I will have to grip the barrels because the forearm is so slender.

Wrapping your fingers around the barrels is the proper way to shoot a double, doing so will prevent it coming out of your hand and will reduce muzzle rise.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cane Rat:

I did not know that. As I am still relatively new to the double rifle world, I assumed you held the forend the same way you did on a bolt action rifle.

Wrapping my hand and fingers around the forearm of the Merkel will result in my fingers wrapping around the barrels. I would have assumed this incorrect and would adversely affect the harmonics of the gun.

Regards,

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpediem4570:
Thanks Cane Rat:

I did not know that. As I am still relatively new to the double rifle world, I assumed you held the forend the same way you did on a bolt action rifle.

Wrapping my hand and fingers around the forearm of the Merkel will result in my fingers wrapping around the barrels. I would have assumed this incorrect and would adversely affect the harmonics of the gun.

Regards,

Carpediem

It may affect harmonics but with a double I would guess it would be impossible to tell as they operate on a different level of accuracy than, say bolt guns. Wrapping your fingers around the barrels will make it MUCH easier to shoot and much more controllable and when you move into the larger chamberings they are nearly impossible to shoot without doing so. Also, wrapping your fingers around the barrels versus attempting to hold the forearm will prevent a lot of strain from being put on the forearm and possibly loosening it over time. Glad I could be of help and good luck. tu2

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Carpe, I see that you are new. First off, no one ever goes to the cabin for 4 days with only 8 rounds loaded up. What are you going to do if the SHTF? You keep doing this and you will probably be booted off this website!
Secondly, now that you have a double with a splinter forend you need the following:
Deerstalker hat
Norfolk jacket.
NOW you can look the part. After that you can hire some beaters (or get your wife and kids to do the job).
Buy some factory ammo. Norma makes some good stuff. Buy some Hornady or Nosler seconds and just reload away. More advice later!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
+1

A double is not a bolt gun. Entirely different critters. Good luck!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
yuck animal

Guys, Guys, go easy on me sofa:

you need to read some of my previous posts. No kids, the wife shoots most of the game these days BOOM. I am just along to gut, pull the game out of the bush and mix drinks after the days hunt is over beer. Oh yeah, and clean her guns nilly.

I had no time to load any ammo for the gun. I took along what I had left over from shooting the Antonio Zoli side by side double in 9.3x74R.

I never go to the cabin with only eight rounds Eeker. That is what I had for the double. I can't dislose how much 12 guage buck shot and slug ammo goes with me, as well as 22LR, and all the other ammo and guns I take. I didn't want to bore you with the other guns, as they weren't doubles shocker.

Regards,

Carpediem

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpediem4570:
dancingBoy, did I have fun this weekend:

My wife and I went up to the cabin this past weekend for four days and I took the new Merkel along with eight rounds loaded up.

Since I did not have a load worked up for the rifle with the 232 grain Norma Vulcans, I grabbed what was loaded; which was eight rounds with a 250 grain Nosler Accubond.

All eight rounds had 56.5 grains of IMR 4064 powder but four rounds were with WLR primers and the other four were WLR Magnum primers.

Since this was not the factory load I was not expecting much. I just wanted to try the rifle for fit, face pounding, felt recoil, etc. Ok, I just wanted to shoot the gun.

I set up two targets at 50 metres, went back to my standing rest and fired rounds off two at a time; right barrel, right target, left barrel, left target, six to eight seconds apart.

The group with the rounds using WLR primers were 3.5 inches vertical by 1.5 inches horizontal. The group with the WLR Magnum primers were 2.5 inches vertical by .5 inches horizontal. I would say not bad for a cartridge with the wrong projectile weight and a random load of powder and primer. I can't wait to see what it will do with the proper load.

I found the front blade sight to be a bit too wide for my taste and I will scope the rifle, as there is one dove tail already cut in the rifle.

Recoil is what I would consider stout however, there was no jarring cheek-slap. The front of my gun jumped out of my hand. To hang on to the rifle, I will have to grip the barrels because the forearm is so slender. I will have a recoil pad installed in place of the plastic butt plate.

Overall, I am in love. She is a keeper. I can hardly wait to take her deer and moose hunting this year.

As I want to mount a scope on the rifle, most likely a Leupold 1-4x20, what kind of a quick detachable scope mount would be available for this rifle? I am a bit confused as to only one dove-tail being cut into the rear of the gun. Is one supposed to remove the rear sight and use that as the second dove-tail or is there a scope mount made to attach to only one dovetail?

As always, comments, questions and criticisms always welcome.

Regards,

Carpediem

This gun is pre-set for a Recknagel swing-out mount and rings. If you are in the US, PM me and I can get this gun set up for you. If you're in Canada, not sure what your options are, since there is no certified Merkel gunsmith up there. I could ship you the mounts/rings, but it really requires someone familiar with these mounts to do the job right.

DO NOT, try to install something other than a Recknagel mount, you'll ruin the gun.

Hope this helps.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you called Tony at Tradex, where you bought the rifle, and asked him about the scope base?

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Splinter forend is much preferable IMHO, but you've got to do the Michael Jackson thing and start wearing one glove -- if you take more than 8 rounds that is/.

Posts: 10044 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Going to the cabin again this weekend. I can assure all I will be taking more than eight rounds this time. As I am headed back up to camp for a two week rotation, I intend to have a real blast this weekend.

Ron:

To be honest, I never thought of calling Tony. I will do that in the a.m. Thanks.

Regards,

carpediem

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Lavaca:

I love the splinter forend. I just have to learn to hold onto it. Geting out of the bolt action rifle hold may take some time.

Regards,

Carpediem

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
In a minute or two I'll be in my office and have access to my Merkel 141(e) with scope. I'll take a couple of pictures of it and the method of installation/removal.

I do suggest that you have a Merkel expert install it, though.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7548 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You keep a double rifle in your office? Loaded?!!!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Here are three pictures of the Merkel 141(e) system.

The slot in the rib is removed and a female recepticle for the forward ring is installed. To mount the scope, the forward mount is inserted at 90 degrees to the barrel and then turned clockwise until the rear ring snuggs against a "stop" on the rear mount (which, hopefully you can see is attached to the rib with small Allen or torx screws which, I guess, a gunsmith drills and taps?).

The rear mount has a locking device that one then twists finger-tight, firmly holding the scope in place and to my experience, always returns perfectly to zero.

The dang system is fool proof to my simple mind.

Sorry about the quality of the pictures, but I took them with my cell phone.

And, Peter, of course I have a loaded double at my office, along with a couple of claymores and an MG-42. Doesn't everybody?

BTW, my rifle has no noticeable change of regulation whether or no the scope is used, at least up to 50 yards for the irons. Since with 64 year-old eyes, that is about my max effective distance to hit a baseball without glass, I'm satisfied.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Judge G:

Thank you for the pics. A picture is worth a thousand words.

My rifle has the same rear base but, there is no front base. I am obviously going to have to have that one installed.

We don't seem to have a Mekerl rep or dealer here in Canada so I am assuming I will have to ship it State-side to get the work done.

What make are the bases and rings; Recknagel, EAW?

Thanks again for the pics,

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
JudgeG:

As an aside, did you have a recoil pad put on or are you shooting it with the provided butt plate?

Are you using the 232 grain bullet the gun was regulated for or have you developed your own load?

Kind regards,

Carpediem

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That sure LOOKS like Recknagel's set-up to me. NECG carry a lot of their stuff and are great to deal with. Google up their web site. I've bought quite a few sights, etc from them. Shipping has been prompt and no problem shipping to Canada. Any CAPABLE gunsmith can install this set-up for you. Just make sure that he has experience with doubles. Some smiths who are geniuses with bolt guns have no clue when it comes to doubles.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot Barnes 250 grain X bullets and I've taken buffalo, zebra, kudu, etc. with great results.

The gun originally came regulated with 232 grain Vulcan ammo and I shot some deer with that, no problem.

I'm contemplating re-regulating it with the new factory Federal 286 grain solids.

I've been fortunate so far to be able to use the regulation adjustments and get the gun to shoot very well (so long as I let the rifle entirely cool after a right and a left, of course).

The mount came installed from the factory and I don't know the maker. As to the butt, it is as I received it from the distributor with a thin black rubber pad that I find adequete, particularly since the length of pull suits me.