Find
Notify
Tools

Who to Re-stock a Double?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted
Any recommendations for someone to re-stock a vintage double?

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JJ @ Champlin's.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is a sidelock better go to the bank! Most guys I know charge $4,000-$5,500 just for the labor. That is on a shotgun!

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Showbart:
JJ @ Champlin's.

Does JJ do the re-stocking or are they sending them out to someone else?

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy......as best I know, JJ does it. There was an article about a year or so ago in Sports Afield (I think) about a gent who bought a vintage 500 double and had someone in Arkansas refinish in case hardening and stocking.....great job at a price somewhat less than he got from JJ. I'll look...if I find it, I'll let you know. Either way...it ain't cheap.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Gary,

Thanks, let me know if you can find that. I'm actually asking for Steve, he's thinking of re-stocking his Osborne.

You be around late August? Maybe we can all get together, that would be nice.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The only other guy, I know personally, who could do the job is Purdey's man in the USA Dustin Mounts in Houston Texas. A fine man and an excellent gunsmith.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
The only other guy, I know personally, who could do the job is Purdey's man in the USA Dustin Mounts in Houston Texas. A fine man and an excellent gunsmith.

Hey, thanks! Do you have contact info for him?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JJ does the restocking.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michael Merker does outstanding work on vintage DR's. The work he did converting a beaver tail forend to a splinter forend can be viewed in another post in the DR section. You can probably get it done under or around 4,000 depending on quality of wood used.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Lon Paul, is one of the best, and a hell of a nice guy. He restocked the WR 577 on there site, it turned out awesome. I saw a couple of others that he restocked---awesome---good consistant work.

www.lonpaulcustomguns.com

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
David Trevallion has to be among the top English-trained stockmakers in the US.

Depending on the value of the rifle in question, you may consider him.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot about David Trevallion. Chris is right and what he said about him is an understatement, he may be the best we've got. But yes the gun has to justify the choice.

http://www.gun-vault.com/

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Paul Hodgins in Logan Utah. He is formerly of H&H (perhaps doing work for them still?)and is a very nice and helpful guy as well. I spoke with him a few times about another project and find his customer service to be excellent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might also try John Maples in Texas. His contact number is 713-412-5816.

Posts: 139 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 13 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Dustin Mount'S
(713) 868-2209
2031 Post Oak Blvd
Houston, TX. 77056

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarBy:
Andy......as best I know, JJ does it. There was an article about a year or so ago in Sports Afield (I think) about a gent who bought a vintage 500 double and had someone in Arkansas refinish in case hardening and stocking.....great job at a price somewhat less than he got from JJ. I'll look...if I find it, I'll let you know. Either way...it ain't cheap.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI

http://nicholastooth.blogspot.com/

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nathan Heineke did mine and it is an exact fit. Gorgeous, too. 307-745-8592

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I've had 2 vintage doubles restocked and had extensive work done on a third. Paul Hodgins and JJ each did a restock and Dustin did the rework.

I would use Paul Hodgins again for sure. The gun has to be worth it because Paul is expensive but the work is first rate. After you pay Paul's bill you will have no regrets.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe I heard the man here is excellent:

http://elephantandcastle.biz/gunsmithing.php
See; b) and c)

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
I spoke firsthand to JJ, he says no sweat. Now to find a nice blank.

I tried to buy a Demas 450-400 from another infamous AR member, but he "prematurally pulled out" and I was forced to look around and find a vintage english gun instead. Eeker

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need something bigger....when you miss the brain a 450 or 500 caliber is better! Big Grin

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Gary,
Do you still own it?
Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Steve.....been away. Yes, I still have that Demas 450/400....know someone looking?

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC