New
Find
Notify
Tools

WTB DR (in Classifieds)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Still hunting for a 577 double rifle. I can do a part-cash, part-trade, and have safari rifles by Chuck Grace, Gary Goudy, Lon Paul, Maurice Ottmar, Lowell Manley, Harris Gunworks, Rem Custom Shop, Fred Wells, and I'm sure others.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, nice rifle..thanks. I've thought about and inquired about a few 577 BP rifles, but I don't know if the ballistics are up to my needs for a 577. Looking to have a dedicated "Hammer of Thor" Jumbo double. I know a 500NE would be just fine, but a full-power smokeless 577 is another beast entirely!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Biebs:

A .577? You da man! If you find one and I make it back east in March, can I shoot it?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only if you have insurance. But it might be worth the trip, I may touch off the 1st round, then turn around and offer it to you at 1/2 price!!!

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
In a 13 lb+ DR. the 577 is FUN to shoot. Just a big slow shove, "I" would rather shoot a 577NE than a 500NE, at least that is what happened when I shot a Merkel 500.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had 2 Merkels...know what you mean. I think they actually sharpen the combs on them before they send them stateside...must be getting back at us for WW2 !!!

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Only if you have insurance. But it might be worth the trip, I may touch off the 1st round, then turn around and offer it to you at 1/2 price!!!

It's a deal but let's do it towards the END of my trip. I want to spend some time with my son BEFORE I touch it off Smiler

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

you mean outside of a hospital?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Totally agree with Hog Killer.

I purchassed a 14# .577 Verney-Carron last May. It was very manageable shooting 15 full house 750 grain loads. Before putting my targets away, I decided to go to the vault and re check a couple of my .500 Heym's. Felt like I had an ass whipping.

I have since sold both the Heym's and ordered a bespoke Verney-Carron .500 which I should have by April.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don, 10-4 on the Verney-Carron...very nice rifles. Ken has a few in, including a high-end one with extended top tang and all. For some reason I'm hung up on barrel length. I'd love one with 26" barrels...the 23.5" ones feel too short and "clubby". I'd order one in a heartbeat, but don't have your patience in waiting!

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I am new here.

I was in the US last Nov and got to shoot several DRs with two friends - including a Jeffery 600NE - you can see me shooting it in this video clip - http://s243.photobucket.com/al...STrip-Nov2008119.flv . One of those friends has a Damas Verney-Carron 577 NE and it might be for sale...

He also shoots a 470 of the same make & he has taken buffalo & plains game & a charging tusk less cow elephant at 10 meters a few months ago.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I CAN'T WAIT TO SHOOT AN OLD BRITISH 600 NE.

For a 577 NE see www.schwandtclassicarms.com

in the double rifle section, a wonderful H&H

is found there.

"Holland & Holland 577 NE. The Ultimate stopper. Regulated for 1oo Cordite - 750 Grain Bullet.

To top off this already incredible find, it is in like new " original condition." Rifle retains 98% blue,

95% case color. Superbly well figured wood retains virtually all original finish. No signs of any

refinishing on the whole piece. Bores are as new, mint condition with no sign of cordite usage

whatsoever. This is a rifle that could have made a good deal of history, but instead lived a very

sheltered life. H&H records indicate rifle was shipped in 1917. Perhaps the Great War

for-stalled it from being put into service. "One of only three 577's know to have ever

been built in the full 100 - 750 regulation." Must be seen to be appreciated."

Maker Holland and Holland
Gauge/Caliber 577 NE 100 Cordite - 750 Bullet
Barrels 26"
Rib 1/4 with 1S&2F
Engraving Holland Royal Pattern
Action SLE
Stock French Walnut
Butt Old English
L.O.P. 14 3/4"
Weight 12 lbs. 13 oz.
Stock Dimensions n/a
Price $169.5K

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Had 2 Merkels...know what you mean. I think they actually sharpen the combs on them before they send them stateside...must be getting back at us for WW2 !!!

I'd agree with that ! Ouch!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Biebs:

Ever think about picking up a .585 AHR while looking for or instead of a .577 double? Those 577 doubles are frightfully expensive!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nakihunter,

Great video. That .600 will keep you from dozing off, eh?

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I already have a 600 OK and a 700 AHR. Wayne will be using my 700 AHR at the Dallas show in a few weeks. Stop by and take a look. I told him to put a reduced price tag on it for anyone not willing to wait a year for their own.

A double in a big caliber is not the same as having a bolt gun in a similar caliber....at least to me. A 577 DR is a dedicated Jumbo rifle...and has the nostalgia to carry out that task in style.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Five, Yes, that H&H Royal 577 at Mike Schwandt's is quite nice...but I didn't plan on spending in the 6-figures for a rifle!!!

$169,500 ? Maybe move the decimal over one place to the left???????

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Biebs:

PM sent.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I know a .577 or a .600 double would be so cool but I am afraid it is just completly out of my financial ability. I guess if I did have the choice, I would lean towards the .577 cause they can me made a little lighter than a .600 and conventional wisdom says that you get better penetration with a .577. I have a MRC action on order that was probably going to become a .505 Gibbs but since I alrady have a better cartridge (.500 Jeffery) maybe a .585 AHR would be just the ticket. The heck with Terry Wieland Smiler

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The heck with Terry Wieland Smiler

Dave
DRSS

BLASPHEMY, BLASPHEMY !!!!!!!!