Find
Notify
Tools

New S2, First Impressions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
I bought a new Blaser S2 .470 Nitro Express from Alex Roy. It came yesterday and I had a chance to run out to the range this afternoon to run just a few Hornaday 500 grain DGX bullets through it. Here are my first impressions:

1. It is VERY well made. All tolerances are very, very tight.

2. Alex had several so I was able to look over photos of the ones he had and pick out the wood I wanted. The wood on the one I picked is superb.

3. Right out of the box, the triggers are wonderful, as good as the triggers on my R93 and better than the triggers on my Krieghoff.

4. Physically, it is a big gun. It has a half beavertail forearm that fills your hand. The finish on the barrels is that same really durable finish on the R93 barrels. After I got done shooting, I took it to our local UPS store and had them weigh it. It weighed in at just over 11.5 pounds but that weight really, really soaks up the recoil. It was a pleasure to shoot.

5. Open sights are excellent and it is already set up to accept the Blaser Saddle Mount. I could just pull a scope of one of my R93 barrels, put it on my S2, sight it in and I would be good to go (but I don't like scopes on doubles, at least big doubles).

That's about all I can tell you for now. I only had a chance to shoot four rounds through it. I plan to shoot it again on Sunday and will try and put it on paper to see how it is shooting. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I think you'll love the S2. I've had several, and find them to be one of the most accurate, well engineered, and high quality doubles I've owned. Disregard the comments from the many "PH-wanna-be's" out there regarding the safety/battery design. Yes, it's different than most doubles, but it would be like saying a Model 70 with it's wing safety is dangerous, because I'm used to a tang safety. Well, if you are going to shoot one, any gun, any design, practice and get familiar with it. You'd be hard pressed to fins any double that will out-shoot a Blaser. Good luck!...Biebs

PS: I just acquired a Chuck Grace Dakota 76 in 450 Dakota, so I may hit you up on load advice for that one soon.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Blaser Drilling that operates the same as a S 2, ie it decocks upon opening.
Once you ger used to it it is not a problem, at least for me.

I would not hesitate to use it for African DG.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new double Dave!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I have one in 9.3x74R and I also love it. It seems people only confess having one, when somebody else says it first, but don't worry about that Wink

Proud DRSS member

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Guys, I think the "issue" (if there is one) about the auto safety is just silly for a couple of reasons. First, if you ever find yourself in a situation where you get charged (which is very, very rare), you will be lucky to get off two shots let alone reload and shoot three or four. Second, if you practice with your guns (I do!), the safety becomes second nature. It's just a matter of taking the time to familiarize yourself with your gun. We all should do that. Besides, I doubt that this gun will see anything more dangerous than a bison anyway but I sure wouldn't hesitate to take it on a buffalo or elephant hunt if I ever got the chance.

I know that an S2 is not everyone's cup of tea. I know some guys wouldn't ever consider an R93 either. However, I think my R93 is one of the best bolt action rifles I have ever owned. You can take it down and put it in a little case in seconds. Fly 5000 miles, put it back together and it goes right back to zero. It has a fantastic trigger, free floated barrel, the best scope mounting system I have ever seen and they shoot like they had eyes. You don't have to do a thing to them. After I shot my R93, I had no qualms at all about picking up an S2. Is is different? Hell yes!. So what. Let's see how it shoots. After all, that's what it's all about.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave you shouldn't start a post about a new rifle without pics, eye candy, eye candy. coffee

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
Dave you shouldn't start a post about a new rifle without pics, eye candy, eye candy. coffee

Dirk:

I don't have a digital camera but I do have one picture of the assembled rifle that Alex sent me. I don't know how to post pictures. If someone could post it for me, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send it along.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Dave, I think you'll love the S2. I've had several, and find them to be one of the most accurate, well engineered, and high quality doubles I've owned. Disregard the comments from the many "PH-wanna-be's" out there regarding the safety/battery design. Yes, it's different than most doubles, but it would be like saying a Model 70 with it's wing safety is dangerous, because I'm used to a tang safety. Well, if you are going to shoot one, any gun, any design, practice and get familiar with it. You'd be hard pressed to fins any double that will out-shoot a Blaser. Good luck!...Biebs

PS: I just acquired a Chuck Grace Dakota 76 in 450 Dakota, so I may hit you up on load advice for that one soon.

Biebs:

If you need help with some load data for your .450 Dakota, Just drop me a PM. There was a recent thread with a lot of data too. RIP has a bunch of stuff as well

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I just found that 450 Dakota thread.... Thanks...that should do it. I think I'll take the 450 Dakota and it's little brother, another Dakota African in 338 Lapua, when I go to Mozambique this October for another Cape Buff, plus a Sable, Nyala, and a couple cool little Suni.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Looks like the double bug has caught on! Wink

Hope you enjoy your S2 they are very accurate doubles, I almost broke down and bought Biebs 500/416, but just could not do it.

Aleko at heritage arms had a 500/416 I shot out at the range it was no problem nailing rocks out to 75 yards off hand.

My D99 funtctions alot the same way, I'm not a big fan of the de-cock on opening for a DGR, but that is why there are different flavors.

Blasers tend to be very accurate, my D99 shoots as good as any gun I own, much less being a break action double rifle/ shotgun combo!

Here is the best regulation group I've shot with it.

By coachsells, shot with COOLPIX S4 at 2009-05-22

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Dave, I just found that 450 Dakota thread.... Thanks...that should do it. I think I'll take the 450 Dakota and it's little brother, another Dakota African in 338 Lapua, when I go to Mozambique this October for another Cape Buff, plus a Sable, Nyala, and a couple cool little Suni.

Biebs:

I think my pet .450 Dakota load is going to be that 450 TSX with 94 grains of Reloder 15. It was running right at 2400 fps in my gun. That ought to do it!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505ED:
Looks like the double bug has caught on! Wink

Hope you enjoy your S2 they are very accurate doubles, I almost broke down and bought Biebs 500/416, but just could not do it.

Aleko at heritage arms had a 500/416 I shot out at the range it was no problem nailing rocks out to 75 yards off hand.

My D99 funtctions alot the same way, I'm not a big fan of the de-cock on opening for a DGR, but that is why there are different flavors.

Blasers tend to be very accurate, my D99 shoots as good as any gun I own, much less being a break action double rifle/ shotgun combo!

Here is the best regulation group I've shot with it.

By coachsells, shot with COOLPIX S4 at 2009-05-22

Ed

Yea but Ed your using a scope. That's cheating man Wink

I blame this on Ron. He's the one who got me hooked on Blasers!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Guys, I think the "issue" (if there is one) about the auto safety is just silly for a couple of reasons. First, if you ever find yourself in a situation where you get charged (which is very, very rare), you will be lucky to get off two shots let alone reload and shoot three or four. Second, if you practice with your guns (I do!), the safety becomes second nature. It's just a matter of taking the time to familiarize yourself with your gun. We all should do that. Besides, I doubt that this gun will see anything more dangerous than a bison anyway but I sure wouldn't hesitate to take it on a buffalo or elephant hunt if I ever got the chance.

I know that an S2 is not everyone's cup of tea. I know some guys wouldn't ever consider an R93 either. However, I think my R93 is one of the best bolt action rifles I have ever owned. You can take it down and put it in a little case in seconds. Fly 5000 miles, put it back together and it goes right back to zero. It has a fantastic trigger, free floated barrel, the best scope mounting system I have ever seen and they shoot like they had eyes. You don't have to do a thing to them. After I shot my R93, I had no qualms at all about picking up an S2. Is is different? Hell yes!. So what. Let's see how it shoots. After all, that's what it's all about.

All True.

EVERY Blaser I have shot, Bolt, Double, Single Shot, Drilling, Double Rifle Drilling, Combo Gun, has been very accurate, and worked 100%.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
My only objections to the Safari S2 Blaser double rifle is #1 they are butt ugly, and #2 and far more important is the fact that the damn thing doesn't re-cock it's self on opening for a re-loading, and de-cocks the action if it is opened for any reason! This is a defect in my opinion, and cannot be reversed. I could live with the UGLY, but again IMO, Blaser would be smart to re-design the combi-cocking system to work the same as the Krieghoff! coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacD37:

My only objections to the Safari S2 Blaser double rifle is #1 they are butt ugly

Ugly, heck no! I think they are beautiful. Kinda like a painting by Paul Rubens... a voluptuous beauty, but then again, I like full figured women too! beer You should see Mrs. Bush.... Oh mama!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacD37:

My only objections to the Safari S2 Blaser double rifle is #1 they are butt ugly

Ugly, heck no! I think they are beautiful. Kinda like a painting by Paul Rubens... a voluptuous beauty, but then again, I like full figured women too! beer You should see Mrs. Bush.... Oh mama!

...... jumping jumping jumping thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
S2 Blaser is a Nightmare Wink

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas