THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Pedersoli Kodiak MK IV DG Double Rifle .450 Nitro Express 3 1/4"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pedersoli Kodiak MK IV DG Double Rifle .450 Nitro Express 3 1/4"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I heard about this on another forum. The web page indicates that it is a 450 NE 3-1/4" with a sliding third bite. The Pedersoli web page does not show the gun.

I talked with Mike at Wholesale Hunter and he has confirmed that it is indeed a Pedersoli produced gun, factory chambered in 450 NE 3-1/4"

Kodiak Mk IV - 450 NE 3-1/4"

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They make it in 45-70, so I guess a 450 NE wouldn't be a huge jump, with the low pressures generated by NE calibers.

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
The gun pictured is neither a 450NE nor does it have any type of third bite.
Doesn't Pedrsoli have a representative in the US whom could she's some light on it?

Posts: 3243 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I contacted Pedersoli but have not heard from them yet. Mike with Wholesale Hunter assures that the gun is as described not as shown by the stock photo.

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
The gun pictured is neither a 450NE nor does it have any type of third bite.
Doesn't Pedrsoli have a representative in the US whom could she's some light on it?

Huvius, You are mistaken about the third bite!

The Pedersoli does in fact have a third bite operated but a sliding bar moved forward into a bite in the top of the back under lug when the rifle is closed and the lever is back at rest by the lever spring.

There have been many Kodiaks re-chambered to 450NE and 450NE No2 and I have one re-chambered to 458RCBS a flanged cased wild cat designed by Huntington of RCBS. None that I'm aware of have given any problem.

I do not believe the one being discussed here was so chambered by Pedersoli, but was a 45-70 that was re-chambered by a gun smith locally.

................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Wholesale Hunter insists this gun is not re-chambered but factory made as a 450 NE 3-1/4". I have asked for some pictures to prove this. We'll see what he sends.

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello MacD37,

I think you are mistaken. I just took out my Pedersoli in 45-70. There is no 3rd bite, just the standard 2, one in the back of each lug.

In addition, I just got off the phone with Wholesale Hunter and they are sending pictures of the 450NE. They have 2 in stock.

He tells me that the 450NE model has a "rib extension" with a "sliding 3rd bite" - basically a Greener Cross Bolt.

These are NOT gunsmith modified 45-70s, which do not have a rib extension, these are factory built in 450NE. I'll add pictures when I get them.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2141 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buckstix,

You must have been the one on the phone with them when I called moments ago. I'm hoping for some pictures to settle this one way or the other. I feel pretty confident that if they are willing to send an e-mail indicating the guns are factory chambered, then they are indeed factory chambered to 450 NE 3-1/4"

The next big hurdle will be method of regulation and then of course how well they are regulated.

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just received two pictures and a video showing the crossbolt. I'll post them as soon as I get them uploaded to a hosting site.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ELeeton:
The Wholesale Hunter insists this gun is not re-chambered but factory made as a 450 NE 3-1/4". I have asked for some pictures to prove this. We'll see what he sends.

Eric

That information will be golden, please let us know what you find.

I have enjoyed my ownership with my Kodiak and it is the 143rd one made by Pedersoli. In fact when I ordered it they were not yet available in the USA. Trail Guns Armory was responsible for the rifle being made by Pedersoli. It is a replica of the very rare Colt double rifle made a short time in 1878, and as far as I know none of the originals exist today!
.................................................................. old

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello MacD37,

I just added the pictures to my previous post. You can see the cut-out for the rib extension.

The vidoe is too big to upload so I captured a couple of pictures showing the Greener Cross Bolt.

By the way - if you email Pedersoli in Itally with your serial number, they will send you the regulation target they have on file. I've done this for 3 different 45-70 rifles.

Posts: 2141 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Buckstix.

I've always liked the looks of the Kodiak.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:
Hello MacD37,

I just added the pictures to my previous post. You can see the cut-out for the rib extension.

The vidoe is too big to upload so I captured a couple of pictures showing the Greener Cross Bolt.

I see what you mean with those picture! The Greener cross bolt is a fine addition to the Kodiak. However it seems they did short the rifle with a third bite that came on the originals. I would like to see a side view of the under lugs on the barrel set of this new rifle
if They did not include that bite they must have thought the Greener cross bolt made up for the other lower bite. I do not agree that it does. They may well be right, but the cross bolt could have been added without loosing the bite on the front under lug.

The fact that they have added the Greener cross bolt leads me to think the 450NE chambering was the reason and the new rifles may be a welcome new piece!

My old Pedersoli is going in for a new set of barrels chambered for 450-400NE 3 inch if Aaron Little thinks it is OK, and I may also have him to re-chamber the old barrels to 450NE for the two barrel sets.

I have my fingers crossed that this new Kodiak will turn out to be a good working double rifle at a decent price so more guys can get into double rifles!

Thanks for the pictures they explain a lot. How about a link to the video!

................................................................... old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
This regular old Pedersoli 45/70 seems downright cheap if anybody is looking for one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/564588582

Posts: 3243 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
This regular old Pedersoli 45/70 seems downright cheap if anybody is looking for one.

That is a good price depending on what it ends up going for. I paid not much more for mine but it didn't have the case. Wouldn't trade mine for anything but am looking forward to getting my paws on one in this .450 NE 3 1/4" chambering.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
I see what you mean with those picture! The Greener cross bolt is a fine addition to the Kodiak. However it seems they did short the rifle with a third bite that came on the originals.

Hello MacD37,

I say again, I think you are mistaken about the 3rd bite. None of the 3 I've owned had a 3rd bite. I again took out my 2 Pedersolis, both in 45-70, and there is no 3rd bite, just the standard 2, one in the back of each lug.

quote:

Hello Huvius,

That is a fantastic price. I've seen them go for over $1000 more than that.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckstix:

Hello MacD37,

I say again, I think you are mistaken about the 3rd bite. None of the 3 I've owned had a 3rd bite. I again took out my 2 Pedersolis, both in 45-70, and there is no 3rd bite, just the standard 2, one in the back of each lug.

You are correct! I was working from memory and described the third bite improperly.

The two bites in the back of the two under lugs are evident but there is a boss on the bottom of the front lug that protrudes through the bottom of the action bar that retards the any forward movement barrels at cross pin, and the back of that protrusion retards rotation around the hinge pin in effect a third bite that works in two directions.

The thought is academic in any case because if the new one has the greener cross bolt and if the lug still protrudes through the bottom of the action bar that translates to four bites. I would say this new one is a hell for strong action.

PS" After looking at the pictures again, I see that both under lugs both do protrude through the bottom of the bar on the new one to ride each against a solid section of the bar, making it even stronger!
.................................................................. BOOM..... holycow

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is a good price depending on what it ends up going for. I paid not much more for mine but it didn't have the case. Wouldn't trade mine for anything but am looking forward to getting my paws on one in this .450 NE 3 1/4" chambering.

The "Buy it Now" price is $2500
I don't ever recall seeing one that low.

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello Huvius,

Here's one that sold about 3 weeks ago. Another wonderful deal.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=557127041

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The "Buy it Now" price is $2500
I don't ever recall seeing one that low.

That's how good my eyes are, didn't even notice.

Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend has one that was chambered to .450 3 1/4" by jack haugh, and is asking $5,000. I thought it as a little steep. FWIW it is very well regulated.

Posts: 1279 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
What sorts of .45/.450 cartridges have the Pedersoli .45-70 Kodiaks been rechambered for?

Dave

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drhall762:
What sorts of .45/.450 cartridges have the Pedersoli .45-70 Kodiaks been rechambered for?

There have been many Kodiaks re-chambered to 450NE and 450NE No2 and I have one re-chambered to 458RCBS a flanged cased wild cat designed by Fred Huntington of RCBS. None that I'm aware of have given any problem.

I'm sure there are others like the old Sharps cartridges that I'm not aware of as well!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

There have been many Kodiaks re-chambered to 450NE and 450NE No2 and I have one re-chambered to 458RCBS a flanged cased wild cat designed by Huntington of RCBS. None that I'm aware of have given any problem.

I'm sure there are others like the old Sharps cartridges that I'm not aware of as well!

Now more questions so that I have the cartridges sorted. The .450 NE is a 3 1/4" essentially straight walled case. The .450 NE No2 is a 3 1/2" bottle necked case. Am I correct so far?

Dave

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now more questions so that I have the cartridges sorted. The .450 NE is a 3 1/4" essentially straight walled case. The .450 NE No2 is a 3 1/2" bottle necked case. Am I correct so far?

You are correct.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
quote:

Went for 1 bid at the starting price.

Dave

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Bloody hell mate just how many guns do you own?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9905 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
quote:

Bloody hell mate just how many guns do you own?

If that question was aimed at me, I can just say I could open a gun store and not have to buy inventory for a fairly long while. Big Grin

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith