THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    .375 Flanged Magnum or .450-400......
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 Flanged Magnum or .450-400......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am getting ready to commission another double rifle. The only detail that remains is caliber. I have a .470 NE and enjoy it very much but I want something smaller for it's companion.

What I really want is a .375 Flanged Magnum with a QR scope. I am thinking that this rifle will be a plains game rifle and a DG back up if the .470 goes tits up.

I was all set to go on the .375 and then the dreaded brass availability issue struck me. Brass is a major problem with the flanged magnum. The other thing that bothers me a bit is that the .375 Flanged mag puts out about 3500 Ft Lbs at the muzzle which makes it non DG legal in several countries.

So I go back to the .450-400 it seems to solve all issues with legality. It is easy feed and it should be fine in the intended role. Simply put it makes more sense.

But I really want a .375 Flanged mag. What say you?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the belted, rimless "H&H" version and not look back. And I would have it regulated with Federal ammo, which is the most common I've seen in Zim.

BTW, I did this.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I have a 470NE and dream of one day having 375 Flanged, brass will be available forever........., somewhere thumb

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Norma is producing 375 Flanged Magnum, so go for it!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I think a 470 and a 375 Flanged Magnum scoped would be an ideal combination. Classic double calibers.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady ammo in 450-400 for under 80 bucks!!!
JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470Evans:
I think a 470 and a 375 Flanged Magnum scoped would be an ideal combination. Classic double calibers.

I am more than willing to bet that Holland and Holland has made more 375H&H double rifles than Flanged double rifles.

I'll even bet that they made five times the number.

Doesn't that make the 375H&H the classic double rifle cartridge amounst the two? Wink

Any takers on, say, a bottle of McCallan bet?

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As much as I like the 450/400, IF the 470 was going to be my big gun, they I would rather have a 375 or a 9,3x74R scoped Double as my plains game DG back up gun.

I use a 9,3x74R and feel that anything I could do with a 375 H&H or Flanged I HAVE done with the 9,3x74R.

And the 9,3 is slimmer trimmer and lighter to boot.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the 375 Flanged - I agree with 470Evans, this seems the ideal combination.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input.

This is a very fun "problem" to have. Cool

I am leaning heavily towards the .375 Flanged. I've thought of the H&H and the 9.3 but neither seem to command as high a resale premium as the Flanged.

Isn't rationalization a great thing?!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Horneber brass is available for .375 Flanged for $53.00/20. While not exactly cheap, it is still available.

Loaded ammo is available from Kynoch, WR, and Norma.

There is a much wider selection of 375 bullets available than for the .400.

Were I to have just one DR and had to choose between the 450/400 and the 375, I would pick the former. To match with the 470, I'd take the 375 hands down.

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
As much as I like the 450/400, IF the 470 was going to be my big gun, they I would rather have a 375 or a 9,3x74R scoped Double as my plains game DG back up gun.

I use a 9,3x74R and feel that anything I could do with a 375 H&H or Flanged I HAVE done with the 9,3x74R.

And the 9,3 is slimmer trimmer and lighter to boot.

+1 thumb

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As much as I like the 450/400, IF the 470 was going to be my big gun, they I would rather have a 375 or a 9,3x74R scoped Double as my plains game rifle.

+2 Although for me the 375 is a lot more nostalgic caliber so that would be my choice over the 9.3

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 375 Flanged Magnum with 26" barrels and QR scope mounts.....with a Loopie 1.25x5.5 with a German #4 reticle and 300 gr softs and solids loaded to about 2350 fps....with upgraded wood.

I think that covers it..... Cool

Perfect companion to the 470.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by surestrike:
.... I've thought of the H&H and the 9.3 but neither seem to command as high a resale premium as the Flanged...../QUOTE]

But they typically cost a lot less on the front end, particularly the 9.3....

Like you said.... Nice problem beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I say order the caliber you want….if you don’t I expect you will regret it. In the time it takes to have the rifle built I have no doubt that you will be able to find the brass. Yes it may cost more however in the scope of things, the brass is a small part of the price of a double. BTW I think a 375 would be cool!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Man I love these discussions,buy the 375 Flanged now for sure because it does sound cool,but I can almost bet that there will be a 450-400 sooner or later in your safe,it's fun justifying why you need another gun isn't it?

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
But I really want a .375 Flanged mag. What say you?

So Surestrike, since when do you give a fuck what anyone else thinks??? rotflmo

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Ether round is good but the 450/400 is a good one gun compromise, where as a 375 and 470 would make a super combo.
I would not worry if the 375flanged doesn't quite reach the required energy level by a tad.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oboy:

So Surestrike, since when do you give a fuck what anyone else thinks??? rotflmo

Down boy,

Don't make me take your string and chalk away... Again! Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarBy:
Another vote for the 375 Flanged Magnum with 26" barrels and QR scope mounts.....with a Loopie 1.25x5.5 with a German #4 reticle and 300 gr softs and solids loaded to about 2350 fps....with upgraded wood.

I think that covers it..... Cool

Perfect companion to the 470.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Yes sir you are talking my language now..... thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go with the 375 flg.,just buy a life time supply of brass when you can find it. I bought 600 cases of old bell brass and 400 of horn.
I just load and go.
As of last week Huntingtons still had about 150
cases of Hornberger brass in the close out bin.
They said no more until the exchange rate changes.

Posts: 35 | Location: Southwest Kansas | Registered: 27 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have owned and used both a 375 H&H Heym double and a chapuis 9.3x74R and would go with the 9.3 anytime. That of course is not the question. It's what YOU want that counts so don't evade the question just do it.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a beautiful Searcy 375 Flanged that I have scoped with a 1x6 Z6I EE Swarofski I have been trying to obtain brass since I bought the gun, but Jamison has promised a run since January, but have not done so as yet.

The 450/400 3" is the perfect caliber for a variety of game taking and is on my list in the future. Gives a perfect battery for the 375 Flanged, the 450/400 and the 500 NE.

Gives a nice excuse to have both.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike,

If you go with 375, what bullet weight would you have it regulated to?

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
quote:
As much as I like the 450/400, IF the 470 was going to be my big gun, they I would rather have a 375 or a 9,3x74R scoped Double as my plains game rifle.

+2 Although for me the 375 is a lot more nostalgic caliber so that would be my choice over the 9.3

Dirk, I got to thinking... Isn't the 9.3X74 darn near as old or maybe slightly older than the H&H?

Ballistically, the 9.3 and flanged .375 are nearly identical, the 9.3 makes up into a much trimmer, lighter rifle, and new, very high quality brass is easy to find. I guess that's what got me leaning toward the 9.3 over the .375.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Dirk, I got to thinking... Isn't the 9.3X74 darn near as old or maybe slightly older than the H&H?
Dave

True Dave but the flanged 375 smells of Africa while the 9.3x74R is a European favorite, thus IMO the nostalgia of the 375 rules over the 9.3. I pick up a 9.3 calibered rifle and I'm thinking of moose in Norway or Russian boar, I pick up a rifle chambered in 375 flanged and I'm thinking of lion, buff, and leopard.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
surestrike,
Have you selected what make & model of rifle you are going with yet?

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Dave

True Dave but the flanged 375 smells of Africa while the 9.3x74R is a European favorite, thus IMO the nostalgia of the 375 rules over the 9.3. I pick up a 9.3 calibered rifle and I'm thinking of moose in Norway or Russian boar, I pick up a rifle chambered in 375 flanged and I'm thinking of lion, buff, and leopard.

dirk

My 9,3x74R Double rifle smells a LOT like Africa. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MichiganShooter:
Surestrike,

If you go with 375, what bullet weight would you have it regulated to?

Michigan,

I'll regulate it with .300 gr bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
surestrike,

Bill,

The rifle will be a custom gun from a small independent maker.

If you'd like details please PM me and I'll give them to you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The brass isn't impossible to find. I just posted some for sale here on AR a couple weeks ago. It sold without problems, so just be on the lookout for when the stuff comes up for sale. I've had good success with my supply of BeLL brass and it was much cheaper than the Horneber brass.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
surestrike,

Bill,

The rifle will be a custom gun from a small independent maker.

If you'd like details please PM me and I'll give them to you.

I'd pick 375 Flanged Mag and have that rifle weighing 9lbs 4oz or less
unloaded and without a scope. If it's going to wear a scope full time it's
unscoped, unloaded weight would be a full pound less.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
If you really like your .470, why not get a second set of barrels in .375 Flanged? It will all fit in one nicely fitted case.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wink:
If you really like your .470, why not get a second set of barrels in .375 Flanged? It will all fit in one nicely fitted case.

Balance will be off, proportions, etc.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I say this for a two double rifle battery:

1. 500 Nitro Express

2. .500/.416 Nitro Express

The .450/.400 is preferred over the .375 Flanged, but, you want the .375 then buy Horneber brass a go for it.

The .470 lags behind the .500 as a stopper and the .375 can't compete with the .416 as general purpose.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote