Find
Notify
Tools

Puzzled
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
New to reloading for doubles. This week I loaded 20 rounds of .470 NE in Federal cases, with Federal 215 primers, 500 Woodleigh SP and H-4831SC (various weights between 108 grains to 110 grains). Reloaded rounds drop right into the chamber on my Heym and the action easily snaps shut.

Two days later I load 10 rounds of .470 NE in Federal cases, with Federal 215 primers, 500 grain Barnes XLC bullets and RL-15 (85 grains with 5 grains of dacron). Rounds drop into the chamber but the action will not close.

Both sets of rounds were full length resized before they were loaded. The bullets were seated to the crimp groove on each bullet. The rounds were not crimped. When the Barnes rounds would not allow the action to close I seated them to the same OAL as the Woodleigh rounds since the Woodleighs seem to work fine. Still the action will not close.

Thoughts?

Puzzled in Houston.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds likte the barnes being a different shape are butting into the rifling

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I would have thought that seating the Barnes to the same OAL as the Woodleighs would have solved that problem.

Mike

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
The Barnes & Woodleigh ogives are of different shapes and thus OAL length is relative, but not directly proportional. So two bullets, of different shape, could be seated to the same OAL and still have one touching the rifling.

FWIW - I'd stick with the Woodleighs... the jury is still out (technically), but I don't like the idea of mono-metal bullets in DR barrels... no matter who made them.

I know the TSX has some relief cuts, but IMO they're not true driving-bands, i.e.: North Fork.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

Butchloc and new guy are both right. With a double, here is the correct way to check max OAL with a given bullet. Remove the barrels from the action and push the extractors home with your thumb. Drop the loaded cartridge into the chamber. If it doesn't seat fully flush in the rim seat with no pressure on the cartridge head, something is wrong. Maybe the ogive is hitting the rifling, necks are too thick, cases haven't been sized all the way down...whatever. The bullet probably isn't seated deep enough.

I agree with new guy. There is no way I would fire a Barnes mono in a double rifle, especially if it actually belonged to me. At nitro express velocities, any advantage the X has it purely imaginary. I once wrecked a nice double with Barnes X. It isn't worth the risk. There is nothing that needs doing with a .470 that can't be done as well or better with conventional bonded core bullets that are perfectly safe in a double.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifle have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Loaded up another eight rounds tonight with the Federal cases, Fed 215 primers, 85 grains of RL-15, 5 grains of dacron and the 500 grain Woodleigh SPs -- they work perfectly, drop right in, action closes like a piece of cake. I think the solution is stick to the Woodleigh SPs. Sounds like there are plenty of good reasons to do so. Hope they shoot well, they are sure ease to reload.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
400 Nitro Express,

Are the G S Custom Flat nose and North Fork on your "DO NOT USE" list for D R's?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack:

I'll put it this way. Personally, I won't shoot them in my double rifles.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote