THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Winchester 45-70 factory Super X equivalent load
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 45-70 factory Super X equivalent load
 Login/Join

posted
G'day Gentleman, I have been a member for a short time and just taken delivery of a Sabbati Classic Safari in 45-70. The test target shows regulation with Winchester 45-70 factory ammo, I suspect Super X, and as I reload would like to know if anyone knows of an equivalent load. This is my first double and something I have dreamed of for many years. Any info would be greatly appreciated. As my luck would be it arrived on the day I am due to fly back to work so will not be able to shoot it for another 4 weeks, but I did get to fondle it for a few hours! Regards Jerry

Posts: 16 | Location: Australia | Registered: 05 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try 41 grs. of IMR4198 with no filler and a 300 gr bullet. It should give you around 1800 fps, which is about what the 300 gr. factory load is doing.

DRSS

Posts: 1152 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks mate, much appreciated.
Regards
Jerry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're most welcome.

DRSS

Posts: 1152 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the same rifle last year, but was regulated with Hornady Leverevolution 45-70. Ive shot the Remington Govt 45-70 out of it wtih the same results atn 50yrds. IF they/ve changed to advert that its with Winchester, maybe its just marketing.... Ive carried it up to 10 miles walking the roads for hogs and its a real pleaure to carry. Does your's have the funny green and red sights or have they gone to white on white?

Posts: 53 | Location: Virginia and Georgia | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
G'day SESOLINC,
Mine has the red/green sights. I shot it on the weekend with the factory Win 300's and it shot exactly as per the test target supplied. I also fed it a variety of reloads and found that a diet of Rem brass, CCI200, 300gr HP Rem proj and 48 Gns of ADI 2207 did the trick. I also had some reduced loads for my girlfriend to shoot and it was spot on at 25 metres, it was same brass/primer but with 15gr AP70 and 300GR cast lead. All in allI am very happy. I did try a few 405's and different powders/weights and am on the way to a regulated load. I managed to get a 3 in group offhand at 50m using 50Gr ADI 2206 with 405 hard cast/coated projectile from Westcastings.