New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sling on a double rifle
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all,

I have a new double rifle coming and am just wondering how many of you use a sling on one of them. I have an elephant hunt in Sept of this year. Thanks,

Jason

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't but I carry one with me in case of accident or the need to sling the rifle.

If it hasn't got sling eyes on it, you can
use the slings that slip over the barrel
in an emergency.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
This question has been asked and debated many times here. Use the search function and see what you find.

Yes, I use a sling on my double but take it off when the action heats up. Then I put it back on for the treck back to the truck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tod is right. My best recomendation is it is beter to have one and not need it than to need one and not have one.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I keep one rolled up in a pocket but have yet to use it. Better to have and not need than need and not have-for more than just carrying your double.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
FP:
Same as the other gents here. I use the sling when walking "miles and miles of bloody Africa" and remove it when the fun starts. Same here in Alaska.
The eyes and hooks are quick to take off but the swivels takes much more time. I have taken off the swivels and use hooks in the more squared off swivel screw holes. I have dropped the sling on the ground if in a hurry and one of the following workers always picks it up (as well as any spent brass).
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If you don't have it with you, you can't use it. And buy a Trader Keith sling.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re better to have one and not need it than not have one and need one.

I also carry a sling as I consider it can be used as part of a torniquet in an emergency to stop blood flow.

You never know when you might have to sling the rifle to carry someone else who has been injured.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I leave my sling on all the time; it doesn't get in the way in the heat of battle, and it makes carrying DRs easy. I know, PHs don't use them and everyone likes the traditional "muzzle forward over the shoulder" method. I can't get used to that and it is unsafe, loaded or not. I am always whacking something or someone with the butt as well, when turning, and the muzzles will inevitably be pointed toward someone.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Federal Premium:
Hello all,

I have a new double rifle coming and am just wondering how many of you use a sling on one of them. I have an elephant hunt in Sept of this year. Thanks,

Jason

Jason, I think you have gotten good advice here, and I agree with the rank and file here! I carry a canvas sling in a small fanny pack attached to the back of my ammo belt and attach it when leaving the hunting car if the spoor indicates a long walk, but remove it when getting close to game, or entering very tight cover. The sling is a God send for that very long walk back to the hunting car after turning down a trophy after a long stalk! As Rusty says if you don’t have it you cant use it, it does you no good in the hunting car!

…………………………………………………………………………………
tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have a couple, but never use them in the bush unless absolutely necessary. It is just as easy to run onto a nasty critter enroute back to camp as on the outward leg.

Anyway, I don't want to get too deep into when and where they are appropriate.

Just wanted to say that I prefer slings that do not use either eyes or swivels. I don't like uneeded protrusions on the buttstock or barrels.

Mine have a "slip loop" at each end. The butt end slips over the buttstock and is stopped from going forward by the PG and a sliding leather "keeper". The muzzle end slips over the muzzle and is stopped from coming too far back by the forend. (In actual use, the muzzle end of the sling never comes back as far as the forend when the rifle is slung. The weight of the rifle pulls it downward against your shoulder as far as trhe sling-length allows, thus moving & holding the front slip loop toward the muzzles.)

Because either end can slip as big as you need it to when putting the sling on or taking it off the rifle, it is easy to move the butt end forard enough to put the muzzle end on over the muzzle, and vice-versa. One does, of course, need to have the sling made (or make it himself) to fit the specific gun it is going onto and his own build, and the height he wishes the gun to carry at when slung.

As everyone else here has said, though, there is no substitute (other than a gun-bearer) for a sling when you really need some help carrying the gun because your hands are needed for other things.

I also have slings for my shotguns, which I made from split moosehide.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
If you don't have it with you, you can't use it. And buy a Trader Keith sling.

What Rusty said!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info guys.

My new Searcy Classic shipped out to me today!

Jason

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post

The sling has a brass stud that slips theorgh the hole in the leather allowing it to be mounted or removed absolutly silently, and easily, and the belt is a quality item as well that will last a life time with proper care!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Trader Keiths rifle strap. Easy on easy off. put in pocket.

http://www.traderkeith.com/products.html

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I have one, and that's the way to go if you are using a double rifle sling. Big Grin