THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Question about new Merkel 470 NE test results
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about new Merkel 470 NE test results
 Login/Join

posted
I am new to the double rifle world, and would appreciate an opinion on the early test results with my Merkel .470 NE.

The rifle was regulated with Federal ammunition using 500 gr. TBC bullets.
My tests have been done with Hornady ammunition using 500 gr. DGS bullets.

Three 2 shot groups were fired at 50 yards during each of several shooting sessions on different days; that is, 6 rounds during each shooting session. Right barrel first, then left, but probably 45 – 60 seconds apart, not 4 – 8 seconds as Merkel recommends.
Group 2 was fired immediately after group 1 with just enough time passing to reload and settle on the sticks again, being focused but not rushing.
Group 3 was fired 15 – 20 minutes later to let the barrels cool, although they were still quite warm but no longer hot.

A distinct and consistent pattern was evident at each session. The right barrel grouped all 3 shots into 1 - 1 ½ inches. However the left barrel shot this way:
• Shot 1: 1 ½ - 2 inches left and 2 inches low, relative to the right barrel
• Shot 2: Slightly less left and 4 inches low, relative to the right barrel,
• Shot 3: 4 inches left and 2 ½ inches low, relative to the right barrel

The test target accompanying the rifle seems to show a 1 ¼ - 1 ½ inch group at 50 meters with the left barrel a bit lower than the right. (I am assuming the shots did not cross at that range.)

I understand I am not shooting the ammunition used to regulate the rifle but the striking difference in the accuracy of the two barrels, along with the remarkable consistency of the left barrel pattern, makes me wonder.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Could I be doing something to cause this?
Should I forget about it until I try the rifle with the Federal ammunition, and chalk it up
to the idiosyncrasies of double rifles?
Does this performance suggest a problem with the rifle itself? Should I consult Merkel?
Something else?

Any input would be most appreciated.

- James in TX

One of Us
posted Hide Post
James

As you are new to the DR world, it can take a little while to get used to shooting them.

Secondly, are you are you had he exact same sight picture for all six shots ?

Also, the Merkel sights CAN reflect light at different angles at different times of the day (depending on where the sun is)
This CAN cause some variation in POI even though you think everything is the same.

Finally, how steady are you on the sticks ?
It might be worth trying some sort of standing rest.

If you are using the 8 inch round black bull targets, try putting a 1" White round sticker at the 6 O'Clock and aim at that. It is a lot easier to get the same sight picture as the Big Black 8" bull sits nicely in the V and the 1" white sticker means it is easy to make sure you have the same sight picture.

You at least look to be heading in the right direction.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
James, first make sure you are not canting the rifle! This a common thing with new double rifle shooters. A right handed shooter will tend to cant with the left barrel lower than the right, and vice-versa for the left hand shooter.

Secondly do not rest the rifle dirrectly on the sticks, but rest your forehand on the sticks while holding the foreend at it's forward tip with the fingers placed on the barrels, not just on the wood.

Thirdly hold with the front sight level with the top of the back sight with equal amounts of light showing on each side of the front sight, and hold a six o:clock hold on the bull. Merkel sights are designed to be used like pistol sights.

Lastly start with cool barrels, and fire a rt,lft, a rt, and left for four shots by firing the first two about 4 seconds appart, re-load, and fire the next two the same way with no delay making sure you are not canting the rifle.

It will take you a little time to become proficient with your new rifle, and to become used to the recoil enough for four shot instinctive shooting! A good solid standing rest will help.

My E-mail is DUGABOY1@aol.com if you would like to send me where you live so I or someone close can help you with this! There are DRSS members all over Texas so someone lives close to you I'm sure! Almost any of the DRSS member will most likely be glad to help you.

Good luck and enjoy your new Merkel!

.......................................................... BOOM........ holycow

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I think you are spinning your wheels unless you do one of two things:
1. Use the ammo it was regulated with.
2. Reload, starting with a load that is about 10 grains under where you expect the regulation load to be so you can see the groups coming together.

Another good tip that helps is to make sure you have two targets side by side. Fire one barrel at one and the other barrel at the other. This helps the entire process go smoother and faster and you know longer have to take the time to find out which barrel hit where.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It doesn't really matter what style shooting you are doing, standing off-hand or sticks. Bench or what as long as you are shooting the way you are consistant. Use a target you can see well and have a way to take the same sight picture each time. Shoot a right and left. Do this at least 3 times but 4 is better. Now all of this will show you is if its you or the gun. If shots are all over the place with no true lefts and rights its you. If you have two individual groups for each barrel it shows you what the regulation is. These groups could be 1 inch apart or 2 feet apart but should be two groups. Each barrel by itself should shoot a tight group at 50 yds. Now if you have a total group of less than 3 inches it is about what the average gun will do. If the total group is less than that your gun is properly regulated for the load. Some guns will only shoot the load and bullet they were regulated for. A properly regulated gun will shoot just about anything you put in it. Iron sights, eyes and the individual all are factors in how well a double shoots.

The above target shows several different bullets with the same load and you can see the individual groups. When you see this then you know what the gun and load are doing then you adjust the load to bring barrels together.

When you get both groups on top of each other then you have it.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
James,

The guys above pretty much covered it. You would be better served using the exact ammo it was regulated with until you get a good feel for how it shoots. Remember that the sights on that Merkel, or most any DR, are not the most precise considering the wide V rear sight so when trying to shoot for absolute accuracy, an absolute consistent sight picture is necessary. Being new to Double Rifles, I would imagine you are learning too many things at once right now to insure perfect consistency on each shots sight picture. The two triggers probably have a different fell and pull weight as well, etc, etc.

At this point, I would just continue trying to get comfortable with the gun and the technique for shooting it. From what you've described, I don't think the regulation is going to prove an issue once you settle into familiarity with the rifle.

Keep practicing and have fun with it. Get some ammo that matches the regulation. Depending on where you are in TX, I could meet you and try to help out as well. Maybe Mac and I could both meet up with you.

Cheers and welcome to the addiction!

posted Hide Post
Wow – five responses in just 2 days. Thanks to everyone who chimed in. Lots of insight and good sounding guidance in here.

To recap: No one seems taken by the thing I thought might be most important, the amazingly consistent but relatively poor pattern thrown by the left barrel. Based on all the feedback I’ll chalk that up to my unfamiliarity with the rifle and/or to not having the regulation ammo

For now, I’ll concentrate on learning the rifle. A hat tip to Mac for his caution not to cant the rifle. I might be guilt of that. But no less thanks to everyone else for the good advice on testing, regulation, and overall double rifle handling techniques.

The regulation ammo is on order, and I’ll test as you guys advised here. I do reload, although not for NE calibers until now, so that will add another dimension to the adventure.

I live about 30 miles NNW of Houston so thanks to the guys in Dallas for offering to meet with me but that seems a bit out of the way.

And, yes, Todd, I can tell already that this is addictive.

Best regards,

- James in TX

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
You'll need to reload or it will become a very expensive addiction! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
You'll need to reload or it will become a very expensive addiction! Big Grin

Yeah well ... It ain't gonna be cheap any way you slice it! Whistling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will need to reload and buy a chronograph. Or, send your rifle to JJ and have him re-regulate your rifle to the Hornady factory rounds. but then, you can't count on factory rounds remaining consistent over the years. Better to buy a chronograph and a set of dies.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James in TX:
Wow – five responses in just 2 days. Thanks to everyone who chimed in. Lots of insight and good sounding guidance in here.

To recap: No one seems taken by the thing I thought might be most important, the amazingly consistent but relatively poor pattern thrown by the left barrel. Based on all the feedback I’ll chalk that up to my unfamiliarity with the rifle and/or to not having the regulation ammo

For now, I’ll concentrate on learning the rifle. A hat tip to Mac for his caution not to cant the rifle. I might be guilt of that. But no less thanks to everyone else for the good advice on testing, regulation, and overall double rifle handling techniques.

The regulation ammo is on order, and I’ll test as you guys advised here. I do reload, although not for NE calibers until now, so that will add another dimension to the adventure.

I live about 30 miles NNW of Houston so thanks to the guys in Dallas for offering to meet with me but that seems a bit out of the way.

And, yes, Todd, I can tell already that this is addictive.

Best regards,

James,

I have shot many Merkel doubles and own 3. I have found that although when regulated with Federal ammo, they generally shoot better with Federal. However, I have seen several guns shoot great groups with the Hornady factory ammo. They generally shoot a little low with the Hornady, but group well and consistent right on right and left on left.

I would like to see a picture of your target if you have one, and I might be able to help out. For some of my customers who want to shoot Hornady factory ammo, we've had to adjust the height of the front sight and the guns shot great.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I tested the Merkel this weekend with Federal ammunition - the same ammunition that was used to regulate it. It was almost dark before I got to it, and I only had time for two rounds. They hit 1/2 inch right of POI, with one shot dead on vertically and the other exacly 2 inches high. There is nothing conclusive about two rounds, of course, but the suggestion is encouraging. I'll report further when I've done more testing.

MIke,thanks very much for your email. I appreciate your advice and encouragement.

Best regards

- James in TX